• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparing the 2024 Boa Boots Offerings from Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm gonna wait until BOA is electric powered with a smartphone app for control. Ski on lift, press app to loosen boots for the ride up. Press app to tighten up after exiting the lift. No more bending down.
No, no, no! You have to wait until they're motion activated. When you stop moving, they loosen. Tighten up in motion. The faster you go the snugger they get. No messing around with BT and getting the phone out!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But, this is a far better direction than the Grip Walk debacle, as it's trying to address fit and comfort. Grip Walk? - still not sure what that is all about...
Any "advancement" that can make a current standard (ISO 5355) obsolete or incompatible has to be questioned. But the toothpaste is out of the tube and we aren't going back.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No, no, no! You have to wait until they're motion activated. When you stop moving, they loosen. Tighten up in motion. The faster you go the snugger they get. No messing around with BT and getting the phone out!
Sounds like a VibeStop/HDT application for boots.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've had BOA on snowboard boots, when the knob gears got stripped, I went to their website and filled out a form and BOA sent replacement parts free of charge.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I've had BOA on snowboard boots, when the knob gears got stripped, I went to their website and filled out a form and BOA sent replacement parts free of charge.

And how many days of riding did you miss waiting for the free bits?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
And how many days of riding did you miss waiting for the free bits?
A week. There's something called "a career" that funds like trips to the mountains.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
A week. There's something called "a career" that funds like trips to the mountains.

I guess I'm thinking more of the worse case scenario and you're on your ski vacation. I have no confidence in suppliers and retailers keeping their parts supply chain sorted out.... and yes, unless retired or independently wealthy, we all have careers/jobs to navigate.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have no confidence in suppliers and retailers keeping their parts supply chain sorted out
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how is this different than replacing a broken buckle? Do you think it will be more difficult to source a replacement BOA dial than a buckle at an average shop? Wasn't this already addressed by onenerdykid a while ago?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I'm thinking more of the worse case scenario and you're on your ski vacation.
If this is the worst case scenario...I'm okay with it. If a BOA that closes my lower boot breaks and I'm on vacation, I can ski without it (my boots fit well enough that I don't buckle my bottom buckles very tight). Maybe just wrap a piece of duck tape or a Voile strap around to make sure everything stays together. Not ideal...but it would get me through if the parts aren't available.

I have also worn BOA snowboard boots for the past 8-ish years and never had any issues, so I have some trust in the system.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ As far as I can tell all of the current "Alpine" offerings utilize the exact same BOA hardware. Buckles, almost every other boot as a different design

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as I can tell all of the current "Alpine" offerings utilize the exact same BOA hardware.
Yes. The four companies currently offering BOA use the same system.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how is this different than replacing a broken buckle? Do you think it will be more difficult to source a replacement BOA dial than a buckle at an average shop? Wasn't this already addressed by onenerdykid a while ago?

Only going by experience trying to find parts and have those found delivered in a timely manner... there's also some very serious brick and mortar consolidation going on which will most certainly have (further) adverse impacts on customer service.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

ONK doesn't work in retail shipping and receiving, or in the shipping/warranty warehouse as far as I know. I'm just sad we're losing a number of great products (like the Lange RX line) and being told gripwalk and BOA will fix it all. For some it will be fine, for orhers It won't. Then can we talk about the poor condition of skis shipped to retailers from well known manufacturers? It's like the industry is choosing the Ford Taurus as a model of superior consumer experience.

:roflmao:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just sad we're losing a number of great products (like the Lange RX line)
I think the Shadow will be a competent replacement. It skis very well IMO. True, I haven't been on it in mid winter conditions but spring skiing it was solid.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I think the Shadow will be a competent replacement. It skis very well IMO. True, I haven't been on it in mid winter conditions but spring skiing it was solid.

But the LV isn't as LV as the RX, but folks can always go RS.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Only going by experience trying to find parts and have those found delivered in a timely manner... there's also some very serious brick and mortar consolidation going on which will most certainly have (further) adverse impacts on customer service
I'm just sad we're losing a number of great products (like the Lange RX line) and being told gripwalk and BOA will fix it all.
I get this, but its that’s a general ski industry issue, not a BOA issue. If replacement parts are hard to come by, it won’t matter whether you’re replacing a standard buckle or a BOA dial. Other than K2, I haven’t heard anyone say that BOA is going to be the end all be all of ski boot design. I guess I just don’t understand the extreme opposition to BOA. Perhaps it is just redirected frustration with the industry as a whole. That at least makes some sense.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I just don’t understand the extreme opposition to BOA. Perhaps it is just redirected frustration with the industry as a whole. That at least makes some sense.
Some people just have to complain and rely on baseless claims. Usually much ado about nothing.

James

Out There
Instructor
You’ll be able to score Boa in the parking lot from the dude selling weed. Boa parts are all the same. Oh, wait. Parking will be $30. So, it’s Boa parts or taking the bus. But then you can’t smoke weed in the bus. It gets complicated, but we know life is better with Boa.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Some people just have to complain and rely on baseless claims. Usually much ado about nothing.

Ouch.... we need to talk. ogsmile:thumb:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Just a clarification.... first off, I've been thinking out loud in this thread. I know better. Though it may seem I'm 'that guy' complaining about everything, that isn't what you get 1:1. I do think the industry is roiling with change, some good, some worrying, but nothing to get bent out of wack about.. At this point I'm only peripherally involved in retail though I still test skis and get looks at new product, but the other 98% of my time is commited to running a school, building a strong, competent staff, and coaching. I've still got 11 days left this season, the sun sets after 9pm, and life is good. I'll leave it at that!

:beercheer:

Sponsor