• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried to order some of the back country stuff for skis and skins to be a Christmas gift, but can't get it to accept addresses.

I had to click around a bit on this site, but had some delivered to the zip code right next door to you recently:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, great business model:

No, you may not purchase what you want. Instead, here is what we have.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, there are plenty of US smaller company things not available in EU.
So makes sense that it works the other way round to.
Maybe next season they have better international channels

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
From their FAQ:
  • GigaGlide can be applied onto both waxed and unwaxed equipment, whether you are using your own pair or rental skis and snowboards
Lots of tidbits here (and lots of marketing fluff): https://shop.gigaglide.com/en/pages/faq
I saw that on their website yes, but it is so generic ...
I assume that no wax will be better than with was? But I'm not sure how to remove my existing wax (if any) lol

robby

Booting up
Skier
Gigaglide applied to 2 pairs of skis. Will post results in a week
I'd love your review if you're up for it. I'm particularly curious whether this could be a true substitute for waxing or whether bases still dry out as with similar formulations.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
posted this in another thread (coming to think of it was probably the wrong tread):

I skied 6 days on single application of GigaGlide.
Variety of conditions from too much pow to ultragroomed morning slopes.

I probably should have re-applied after 4 or 5 days but I couldn't be bothered.
Day 6 still seemed fine but I somehow think I was less "glidey" than day 2, hard to be sure thou (it could be I was getting more used to glide/speed, who knows).

Really easy to apply and really happy with it.
If you are a die-hard waxer it probably isn't as good, but for all normal people this will do just nice.

I have not tried just waxing in the morning/at the bottom and ski it straight away, coming to think of it I should have tried that as well.
ah well, next time

Regarding dying out bases: not sure.
I've only used it for a week, planning on reapplying before my next trip(s) and at the end of the season have it properly serviced and do it again next year

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
anyone know the shelflife of Gigaglide?
I got 2 bottles through their black friday deal and havent even used a single one.
Will they still be usable next year?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just an update. I went through two trials on two sets of skis and came away unimpressed with the Gigaglide.

It did not seem very slippery, and more importantly, left scattered areas of residue on the bases.

I pinged them, they asked for a little more information, and radio silence since then.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
According to the patent application Gigaglide contains a biocide, so it shouldn’t go off. The main ingredient is water (86.8 wt. %) followed by WACKER HC 303 (8 wt. %) an aqueous silicone emulsion used in shoe polish and fabric conditioners and Tego Glide 490 (3 wt. %) a polydimethylsiloxane emulsion that is used as a slip and anti-blocking agent in water based paints and varnishes.

You could probably get much the same result by giving your skis a quick rub over with some liquid shoe polish.

Lilledonmarco

Booting up
Skier
I'd love your review if you're up for it. I'm particularly curious whether this could be a true substitute for waxing or whether bases still dry out as with similar formulations.
I already wrote it 2 pages back.

In short, I am a hardcore waxer, and it will not replace that. It is good as a "top-up" if you are away from your bench. It is good for ppl who ski a few times a year and don't know how to wax.

Its not exactly aimed at people that frequent a ski technicians board on skitalk or TGR.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just an update. I went through two trials on two sets of skis and came away unimpressed with the Gigaglide.

It did not seem very slippery, and more importantly, left scattered areas of residue on the bases.

I can't say I have had better results sliding. It absolutely doesn't like being used as a top coat on top of Dominator Base ReNew or BP88. It also doesn't like anything fluoro underneath. Both give very patchy results with considerable residue.

The slide seems OK on extruded bases, esp. if polished in with a felt block.

On sintered bases, using the same felt block, the slide is not bad...and IMO, on slush, the Gigaglide actually improves the performance of some "snowboard" warm waxes if they're put on afterwards.

I was hoping to also test GG as an underlay for extra-cold waxes but it simply hasn't been cold...and the season is done.

@Tom K. have you tried it as a skin lube? Alternatively, as a fish scale lube?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. have you tried it as a skin lube? Alternatively, as a fish scale lube?

Those are great ideas, but not sure I'll get around to it until next season.

Lilledonmarco

Booting up
Skier
I can't say I have had better results sliding. It absolutely doesn't like being used as a top coat on top of Dominator Base ReNew or BP88. It also doesn't like anything fluoro underneath. Both give very patchy results with considerable residue.
this is what I found as well

Sponsor