• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

composite pole break

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two year old set of K2 poles, tip and basket snapped off while I was beating snow off my boot. I'm thinking the pole was weakened from my regular boot beatings but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this? I have 10 seasons on my old aluminum poles so it was disappointing to see this break happen especially since I liked the poles. I'm on the fence about buying another set of composite poles or just getting some aluminum.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It happens. Especially on the narrow composite poles with the 10mm tips and molded plastic ferrules.

I don't doubt boot beating was the trigger, but I suspect a different cause.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah lesson learned haha

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I've broken a few sets of composite poles. Bought aluminum, bent one the second day I used it. I got some Grass Sticks bamboo poles last year; so far so good!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not all composite poles are created equal. The top end poles produced by actual pole brands tend to hold up better over time.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Not all composite poles are created equal. The top end poles produced by actual pole brands tend to hold up better over time.

Agreed. I think you could beat back a charging rhino with a Goode and go ski it the next day.

Reactions: Ogg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Carbon can be very tough. I've messed with some carbon bike tubes and tried to beat the crap out of them and they're tough.... However, not all of it is made the same and to the same standard. And it could fail as a result of damage in a catastrophic way but I think that is very much the exception these days.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agreed. I think you could beat back a charging rhino with a Goode and go ski it the next day.
Mine are so old the orange has faded to more of a salmon color. I replaced the ferrules and baskets last season. Should be good for at least another couple of decades.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After trying a bunch of fancy carbon adjustable poles, I went back to the good ole cheap aluminium poles.
No more fears that the edges will score the carbon and they will snap.
And also, metal doesn't flex as carbon, so pole plant on steep terrain feels way more reassuring.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After trying a bunch of fancy carbon adjustable poles, I went back to the good ole cheap aluminium poles.
No more fears that the edges will score the carbon and they will snap.
And also, metal doesn't flex as carbon, so pole plant on steep terrain feels way more reassuring.

Looking at the pole where it broke it almost looks like there is a slice in one part like my ski edge caught it. I'll probably go back to aluminum, I am too rough on equipment.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My sister in law has a pole with a 20 degree bend in it. Decided to try the half pipe. Still works. :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Looking at the pole where it broke it almost looks like there is a slice in one part like my ski edge caught it.

This is the kind of thing I was suspecting. Know what else kills plastic-ferrule skinny composite poles? Using poles like canes on steel tram decks. The kind with the sharp tops to keep you from sliding in ski boots on them.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've had a pair of carbon Kerma Vipers (or Mambas)...the old yellow poles for at least 15 years that have been abused for hundreds of days, rock solid. If they ever break, I might try bamboo.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

And now you look like a hunchback with overstuffed jersey pockets.....

Oops, wrong thread! :ogbiggrin:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saw my buddy's carbon poles break cleaning off his boots, I am sure that a wack with the ski edge was the real thing that weakened the pole , the boot cleaning was just the last straw

Sponsor

Staff online