• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
OK, I got the details on the compression socks. They're from BootDoc, the Soul PFI 90 sock. Really happy with them, I've been skiing on the simulator with them and will be back on the hill in March. They're about $60/pair, but like somebody point out they may be eligible for flex/health spending accounts...

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had a DVT (blood clot in the calf) a few years ago, so had to wear the thigh length medical compression sock for a while...so can confirm the following do give a proper compressive fit.

https://www.dissentlabs.com/collections/all/products/ski-pro-fit-compression-thin-nano-tour

Don't bother with the fashionable merino stuff...get the above Nano Tour Thin
The above has a good size guide with it (I'm Euro 43 and the Large is just right).

Note: If your boots are bit big or Liner packed out... you don't want these socks as they really do compress - best to stick your hand and arm down the sock, invert it so just the sock forefoot is on your hand and then pull that over your foot before pulling the rest up over your calf... you'll be fighting/swearing at them if you try just yanking them on in the regular sock way!

(And if your liners are packed out... well, that's the perfect time to invest in some Zipfit liners fro your boots ,too).

ps get the Milspec balaclava from Dissent while you're there - comfortable, full face cover for those seriously cold days, doesn't freeze over at the mouth (don't know how it manages that) and no breath steaming up your goggles.

The socks are very durable also - I wear them at work on the oil rig.

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
Those Descent compression socks look impressive. Surprised no one's mentioned CEPs yet.
I have had the the CEPs for four years now. They’re by far and away my favorite ski socks ever.

One issue I have with them is minor skin irritation. If I’m driving more than an hour to my mountain, I’ll not put them on until at the mountain and booting up and I have to take them off immediately.

I’ve tried some other (cheaper) brands, but none have come close.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've been skiing the CEP socks (Progressive+ Merino & Progressive+ Ultralight) and I'm very happy with the compression they provide. They are a tad long for me (too high up into my knee area), but it's not a major problem. I'm impressed with how well they retain their shape and compression after repeated wearings and washings. They've done the trick to keep down the swelling in my bad leg. I put them on first thing before I leave for the mountain to control any swelling that was occurring during the drive up. This of course makes getting my bad foot/leg into a boot much easier.

Now I have a drawer full of "standard" ski socks that I guess will get passed down to the kids.

seserenity

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone have a good brand of men compression socks they like? Bonus points if they're not hideous and I can get them from Amazon. I did get one pair at the medical supply store, so I had something to compare others to, but my ski socks are no longer the most expensive socks I’ve ever bought and I’d just as soon not spend that kind of cash on multiple pairs!

The two brands, Physix and Laite Hebe, are my favorite. Their nylon content is 80%, and the support, breathability and compressibility are very good. They will not lose compression strength within ten times of use and are durable. Their prices are not too expensive. I often buy five pairs at a time, which can be used for a whole year.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
these are my gotos, favorites: MudGear Premium Compression Socks - Mens & Womens Running Hiking Trail - 1 Pair (Black/Orange - L)
I haven't skied in them though. Obstacle course races and long flights and after long runs like ultras. If you're looking for non ski application these are really good.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently discovered the SockWell Ski Ultra-Light moderate graduated compression, and SockWell Alpine Racer socks.
Haven't had the chance to use them yet but they seem promising.

I bought a pair of these and skied in them at Alta and loved them. Just bought some more on Amazon. They contain merino wool, are reasonably priced, and are made in the USA.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I had a DVT (blood clot in the calf) a few years ago, so had to wear the thigh length medical compression sock for a while...so can confirm the following do give a proper compressive fit.

https://www.dissentlabs.com/collections/all/products/ski-pro-fit-compression-thin-nano-tour

Don't bother with the fashionable merino stuff...get the above Nano Tour Thin
The above has a good size guide with it (I'm Euro 43 and the Large is just right).

Note: If your boots are bit big or Liner packed out... you don't want these socks as they really do compress - best to stick your hand and arm down the sock, invert it so just the sock forefoot is on your hand and then pull that over your foot before pulling the rest up over your calf... you'll be fighting/swearing at them if you try just yanking them on in the regular sock way!

(And if your liners are packed out... well, that's the perfect time to invest in some Zipfit liners fro your boots ,too).

ps get the Milspec balaclava from Dissent while you're there - comfortable, full face cover for those seriously cold days, doesn't freeze over at the mouth (don't know how it manages that) and no breath steaming up your goggles.

The socks are very durable also - I wear them at work on the oil rig.
Are you still liking the Nano's? I bought a pair on sale and after wearing them for a few minutes I ordered a few more pair since they were on sale. After wearing them for a couple days at work I noticed the internal seams hurt where they dug into my legs. I tried them the next couple of days inside out and they were much more comfortable.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anything new here? I've been using Smartwool Compression socks for several years. I need some new socks, but they need to be thin.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Anything new here? I've been using Smartwool Compression socks for several years. I need some new socks, but they need to be thin.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had total knee replacement and my doctor suggested compression socks for the swelling so I bought these on Amazon:

SB SOX 3-Pair Compression Socks (15-20mmHg) for Men & Women​

and this helps to get them on which is essential as for as I am concerned.

Colux Sock Aid (White)​

They work very well for me. Also use medicated body powder on leg to help them slide on.
If these are no longer available there are many others.

Last edited: