• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Concerts you’ve attended list...

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Since 2000 have paid little attention to newer music, not familiar with newer music celebrities, and instead just listen to the Classic Rock.
You were a few years ahead of me as far as the San Francisco music scene goes but with older brothers I was pretty aware of what was going on. As a South Bay kid by the time I was old enough to get myself to SF, Winterland was what was left & the glory days of The Fillmore, Carousel, Avalon, Big Brother, Quicksilver, tDoors, Hendrix & Jefferson Airplane etc. were already over. I was lucky to see some of the early SF groups at a small all ages place in Tahoe when I was in 8th grade. I think I must’ve spent every other weekend at Winterland or some other Bay Area venue from the time I was 14yo thru High School & Bill Graham was still on the cutting edge bringing in new & established artists to entertain us kids. You were lucky to have been part of those few years at the end of the 60’s & beginning of the 70’s, I don’t think that will ever happen again.

Although I still listen to the old classic rock, it gets tiresome & I find myself searching & finding great music & musicians from every era & genre. A band that that has been mentioned a number of times already in this thread is the Tedeschi Trucks Band, check them out, if you like their studio stuff you’ll luv them live!

Thank your for your service in Viet Nam! Thankfully I missed that party too but only by a few months.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In my town there is a Sunday Blues Jam that was just restarted last Sunday. It was great seeing all my old blues fan buddies (I am a fan, not a player) after all these months. While bars and lounges, have now reopened in B.C., there is supposed to be no intermingling between tables and no dancing. This was completely ignored at the Jam as in all likelihood all attendees were fully vaccinated. And just in case anyone thinks we were being irresponsible: according to the most recent report there are 61 known active cases on the 300 mile long Vancouver Island, with more than half of the 1 million population on the south island where I live in Greater Victoria, and there are 35 Covid cases, 1 in hospital, 0 in ICU.

Tonight I am going to see Soul Shakers, a local Soul, Blues, R & B, Motown band that is giving a free outdoor concert. Best part is, because it is outdoors I can bring my dog. (By the way, the lead singer's name is Joyce and she is known by the well earned nickname "Joyce The Voice"). :)
I have been a fan of " bar bands" more than some of the big name entertainers that people pay big bucks to see. It started when I was single and skiing and partying most weekends. Some of the bars had great bands that could play well and cover songs by the big name groups. Many of the bands were locals and you could see them in town or at the ski lodge and occasionally I even got to know a few band members to say hi to in passing. A couple of the bands would play up at Hunter Mt. in the winter and the Jersey shore in the summer. So my appreciation of bar bands goes back a long time. Maybe I am just someone that likes to see the average person get their dream of being a musician and play to an audience that likes good music. In 2019 I had a trip to Killington and one night just wanted out to dinner and this restaurant had a local bar band that was terrific. My daughter had heard them before and wanted me to hear them because they were so good and we stayed long after we finished eating as the restaurant emptied out, just for the show and a few classes of wine. Great evening of music with the family.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
In 1970 I went to the Filmore West to see my then favorite band The Paul Butterfield Blues Band. They had this new unknown band Tower of Power opening for them. Started with an instrumental. Blew the room away.

Later saw Butterfield opening for the new band that leaped into stardom at Woodstock - Santana - in NYC. Butterfield’s set was too short and between songs of Santana while everyone was shouting out requests I yelled “We want Butterfield “. Lucky I didn’t get mugged by the mostly Puerto Rican audience that turned to see the idiot that said that.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
In 1970 I went to the Filmore West to see my then favorite band The Paul Butterfield Blues Band. They had this new unknown band Tower of Power opening for them. Started with an instrumental. Blew the room away.

Later saw Butterfield opening for the new band that leaped into stardom at Woodstock - Santana - in NYC. Butterfield’s set was too short and between songs of Santana while everyone was shouting out requests I yelled “We want Butterfield “. Lucky I didn’t get mugged by the mostly Puerto Rican audience that turned to see the idiot that said that.
Just listened to East West, Mike Bloomfield is legend! Wish I had been able to see them. I saw Tower of Power at the Kings Beach Bowl in Tahoe in the early 70’s & the horn section sitting in with other bands in subsequent years including Rod Stewart & the Faces.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It's been a hard year not having live music. Last June when covid was just getting started we went to a local ski mountain in CT for some live music and a meal at the outdoor restaurant. Musician was terrible and food was sub par but not having had music or been out to eat in 3 months it was the greatest artist and meal ever. It was a rough summer but we got through it with our quarantine crew at our condo, thankful for our bubble crew. 3 weeks ago the bar at the bottom of our mountain had an inside band and we went. Most people were teary and there was hugging. The band was great and it was the closest thing we'd had to normal in almost a year. Headed to our first indoor live snow this November, can't wait. Saints and Liars are playing this weekend at Magic and I can't wait. We aren't into arena shows much these days and prefer small venues. We are slowly getting back into the swing of things and it feels awesome.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some great lists in this thread!! Lots of overlap in artists. I sort of avoided this thread because it seemed too much to try to make a list. I'm sure I've left some out, but here goes :P

Taking @Tom Inca 's format:

70's
David Bromberg (roots/folk, possibly my 1st concert, 1972.)
America 2x (the late Dan Peek was totally bombed during one show and basically propped up by the other two)
Linda Ronstadt (front row, just as You're No Good was climbing the charts)
Focus (Dutch group with manic guitarist Jan Akkerman)
Charlie Byrd
Dion*
Frank Zappa* (memorably crazy show)
Rolling Stones*(ticket cost $10 in 1975)
Earl Scruggs Review (got to visit with him in empty hall during sound check)
Buddy Rich (amazing drummer!)
John McLaughlin
Larry Coryell
Looking Glass (one hit wonder, played Brandy You're a Fine Girl at beginning and end of show)
Pointer Sisters
George Benson
Doobie Brothers* (gave a very good show, I worked as an usher close to stage at Cole Fieldhouse, Univ of MD)
ZZ Top* and Kiss (I worked a spotlight at this show, Capitol Center, Largo MD.)
BTW the recently deceased Dusty Hill was a big Elvis fan and did a nice cover of Jailhouse Rock at that show:

Stephen Stills and Manassas (I worked as an usher at this show)
Neil Young*
Eric Clapton*
Allman Brothers*

80’s
BB King*
Joe Jackson
Bobby Blue Bland*
Sonny Stitt
Patty Smith (she walked off stage and never came back after one or two songs claiming to be sick, her band was good and played on for an hour)
I think I saw Richie Havens and the Talking Heads in the 80s but can't remember for sure:D

90’s
Peter, Paul and Mary (my brother the Marine and other family members were with me and Peter made a memorable appeal to veterans before singing Where Have All the Flowers Gone, saying he was anti-war, but not anti-soldier.)
Jake Shimabukuro (the Jimi Hendrix of the ukulele)
Kenny Loggins 2x

00’s
Willie Nelson
Wynton Marsalis
Beach Boys*
Bruce Hornsby
Bonnie Raitt*
Keb Mo
Dr. John
Lyle Lovitt
Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits)
Joe Cocker
Bobby McFerrin
Manhattan Transfer
Davey Jones (member of The Monkees)

10’s
B52s
Tedeschi-Trucks
Aretha Franklin*
Crosby Stills & Nash*
Sting*
Warren Haynes
Los Lobos
Bare Naked Ladies (at Vail during 2015 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships)
Righteous Brothers* (Bill Medley and Bucky Heard replacing the late Bobby Hatfield. This is the last live concert I've seen, Las Vegas, NV, Feb 2020.)

*Rock Hall of Fame member

Near miss, not going when I had the chance

Elvis 1974, Univ MD, turned down a chance to usher at this show to go home from college for the weekend!

Regrets
I was too young to attend any Beatles or Hendrix shows, but that would have been cool. I remember attending Beatles movie Hard Days Night first run in theatre. My big sister screamed all through it. Would like to have seen Stevie Ray Vaughan, but didn't fully appreciate his greatness until after his death.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Elvis 1974, Univ MD, turned down a chance to usher at this show to go home from college for the weekend!
Elvis played at Sahara Tahoe in 1971. Again we begged the folks to go but my dad said $15 was just too much.
in retrospect I am more a fan of the early pre-movie rockabilly Elvis but it still would have been memorable I am sure.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
^somewhere is my unused Led Zeppelin ticket, I just don’t know where?
Sell those tickets & you might score some cheap seats for the Stones nowadays.
I hear you but, when I decide to sell the tickets, the proceeds will be applied to any number of items/experiences of greater importance to me than seeing aged, overpriced rockers well past their "best before" date. Still enjoy listening to "live" performances but nowadays my preference is through headphones/earbuds while skating, skiing, snowboarding, cycling, etc.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some great lists in this thread!! Lots of overlap in artists. I sort of avoided this thread because it seemed too much to try to make a list. I'm sure I've left some out, but here goes :P

Taking @Tom Inca 's format:

70's
David Bromberg (roots/folk, possibly my 1st concert, 1972.)
America 2x (the late Dan Peek was totally bombed during one show and basically propped up by the other two)
Linda Ronstadt (front row, just as You're No Good was climbing the charts)
Focus (Dutch group with manic guitarist Jan Akkerman)
Charlie Byrd
Dion*
Frank Zappa* (memorably crazy show)
Rolling Stones*(ticket cost $10 in 1975)
Earl Scruggs Review (got to visit with him in empty hall during sound check)
Buddy Rich (amazing drummer!)
John McLaughlin
Larry Coryell
Looking Glass (one hit wonder, played Brandy You're a Fine Girl at beginning and end of show)
Pointer Sisters
George Benson
Doobie Brothers* (gave a very good show, I worked as an usher close to stage at Cole Fieldhouse, Univ of MD)
ZZ Top* and Kiss (I worked a spotlight at this show, Capitol Center, Largo MD.)
BTW the recently deceased Dusty Hill was a big Elvis fan and did a nice cover of Jailhouse Rock at that show:

Stephen Stills and Manassas (I worked as an usher at this show)
Neil Young*
Eric Clapton*
Allman Brothers*

80’s
BB King*
Joe Jackson
Bobby Blue Bland*
Sonny Stitt
Patty Smith (she walked off stage and never came back after one or two songs claiming to be sick, her band was good and played on for an hour)
I think I saw Richie Havens and the Talking Heads in the 80s but can't remember for sure:D

90’s
Peter, Paul and Mary (my brother the Marine and other family members were with me and Peter made a memorable appeal to veterans before singing Where Have All the Flowers Gone, saying he was anti-war, but not anti-soldier.)
Jake Shimabukuro (the Jimi Hendrix of the ukulele)
Kenny Loggins 2x

00’s
Willie Nelson
Wynton Marsalis
Beach Boys*
Bruce Hornsby
Bonnie Raitt*
Keb Mo
Dr. John
Lyle Lovitt
Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits)
Joe Cocker
Bobby McFerrin
Manhattan Transfer
Davey Jones (member of The Monkees)

10’s
B52s
Tedeschi-Trucks
Aretha Franklin*
Crosby Stills & Nash*
Sting*
Warren Haynes
Los Lobos
Bare Naked Ladies (at Vail during 2015 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships)
Righteous Brothers* (Bill Medley and Bucky Heard replacing the late Bobby Hatfield. This is the last live concert I've seen, Las Vegas, NV, Feb 2020.)

*Rock Hall of Fame member

Near miss, not going when I had the chance

Regrets
I was too young to attend any Beatles or Hendrix shows, but that would have been cool. I remember attending Beatles movie Hard Days Night first run in theatre. My big sister screamed all through it. Would like to have seen Stevie Ray Vaughan, but didn't fully appreciate his greatness until after his death.
What a great list of shows to have attended.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not much of a concert goer. Most from the 80s.

Jerry Jeff Walker
David Bromberg
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (great shows)
Marshall Tucker opened by Sea Level
Charlie Daniels Band
Steve Goodman opened by Asleep at the Wheel
Little Feat (first post-Lowell George tour sadly)
Allman Brothers (just stumbled across this one in Miami one day--heard it from afar, sounded vaguely familiar in the distance, and felt compelled to drift on over)
B-52s (Love Shack had just come out and I hadn't heard it. I was the only person there for Rock Lobster apparently. Damn grad school. Damn kids.)
Warren Zevon (backed by Little Feat's Richie Hayward and Bill Payne along with Jack Casady--pretty good show for sure)

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
In 1970 I went to the Filmore West to see my then favorite band The Paul Butterfield Blues Band. They had this new unknown band Tower of Power opening for them. Started with an instrumental. Blew the room away...

Possibly saw them at FW the same night you did. Since Bill Graham was a big fan, many Chicago greats toured SF including the famous blues groups. Most touring bands played 2 or 3 nights and unlike years later, music often lasted into the wee hours.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Robert Randolph and the family band. Love this thread, constantly remembering shows we've been to.

Yes seen them too. Nt a big fan.

However, I agree with your comment - I keep on remembers shows as I see the artists listed on other's lists.

I left of Los Lobos who I have seen a few times and really enjoy. Saw Los Lonely Boys open for them and then they jammed a few songs together at the end.

I relaize there are a lot more band I have seen from attending music festivals. Here are the ones I remember having been to:

The Watkins Glen Summer Jam thing that @DanoT mentioned. What he did not mention what the 2+ hour soundcheck the Dead played on Friday night. We were in the camping area and had just finished dinner. The sound drew thousands to the stage and we enjoyed a full, unannounced set! Also Dicky Betts being so effed up that he fell down on stage during the jam at the end. lol. Love his playing, Duane gets all the credit and he deserves it, but DB is awesome too and wrote some of the ABB's best material.

Other festivals:

The first Us Festival in CA put on by Steve Wozniak
Cal Jam 2
3lMountain Jam fests at Hunter Mountain, NY ( Vail won't let them do this anymore)
Peach Festival in PA
Jazz Fest in New Orleans
French Quarter Fest in New Orleans
Lockin Festival in VA
Life Is Good fest in MA, just outside of Boston
A couple of Newport Jazz festivals when held at SPAC in Saratoga Springs, NY
3 Crawfish Festivals in northern, NJ.
Telluride Blues and Brews festival and we are going to this again in September!
Fan Fest in Nashville, TN ( a work thing)
Laid Back fest at Jones Beach, NY

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yes seen them too. Nt a big fan.

However, I agree with your comment - I keep on remembers shows as I see the artists listed on other's lists.

I left of Los Lobos who I have seen a few times and really enjoy. Saw Los Lonely Boys open for them and then they jammed a few songs together at the end.

I relaize there are a lot more band I have seen from attending music festivals. Here are the ones I remember having been to:

The Watkins Glen Summer Jam thing that @DanoT mentioned. What he did not mention what the 2+ hour soundcheck the Dead played on Friday night. We were in the camping area and had just finished dinner. The sound drew thousands to the stage and we enjoyed a full, unannounced set! Also Dicky Betts being so effed up that he fell down on stage during the jam at the end. lol. Love his playing, Duane gets all the credit and he deserves it, but DB is awesome too and wrote some of the ABB's best material.

Other festivals:

The first Us Festival in CA put on by Steve Wozniak
Cal Jam 2
3lMountain Jam fests at Hunter Mountain, NY ( Vail won't let them do this anymore)
Peach Festival in PA
Jazz Fest in New Orleans
French Quarter Fest in New Orleans
Lockin Festival in VA
Life Is Good fest in MA, just outside of Boston
A couple of Newport Jazz festivals when held at SPAC in Saratoga Springs, NY
3 Crawfish Festivals in northern, NJ.
Telluride Blues and Brews festival and we are going to this again in September!
Fan Fest in Nashville, TN ( a work thing)
Laid Back fest at Jones Beach, NY

Holy crap I forgot about Los Lonely Boys, they are amazing.

I have to admit Robert Randolph isn't one of my bands but I've learned to appreciate them and have enjoyed their shows. Michael loves them. We are both pretty good sports going to each others shows as we both have a love of live music

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Holy crap I forgot about Los Lonely Boys, they are amazing.

I have to admit Robert Randolph isn't one of my bands but I've learned to appreciate them and have enjoyed their shows. Michael loves them. We are both pretty good sports going to each others shows as we both have a love of live music

Glad I sparked the memory! Yes the Garza boys can really play.

My beef with Robert R is that he just overplays all the time. He's a great player... just sometimes, well less is not more, but, it is often better.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Iron Maiden twice
Accept twice
Motley Crue twice
Y&T
Rush twice (Power Windows and R40 tours)
Steve Morse
Twisted Sister
Pat Benatar
The Alarm
Aerosmith
Stryper
Van Halen
Bachman Turner Overdrive
AC/DC
Loudness
Triumph
Waysted
Anthrax twice
Metal Church
Bon Jovi
Cinderella twice
Whitesnake
Boston
Dirty Dancing artists
Run DMC w/DJ Jazzy Jeff
EPMD
Public Enemy
Winger
Bullet Boys
Helloween
Exodus
Tiffany w/girlfriend!
New Kids on the Block - again, girlfriend!
LL Cool J Nitro Summerfest
Tom Petty
Indigo Girls
Jimmy Buffett
White Lion
Mass
Extreme

Neal Morse Band this fall if it doesn't get cancelled.

Biggest misses that I regret:

Metallica circa Ride the Lightning tour
Van Halen with Roth
Queen (I was too young and then they stopped touring the US)

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
likely more than i remember but a few
------------
little richard
jerry lee lewis
jefferson airplane
chillwack
down child blues band
powder Blues band
doug and the slugs
trooper
leanard cohen
the band
jimi hendrix
janis joplin
who
guess who
doors
beach boys
yes
chicago
moody blues
pink floyd
emerson lake and palmer
ten years after
canned heat
edgar winter
america
the eagles
blood sweat and tears
david bowie
kinks
lou reed
al stewart
taj mahal
buddy guy
bb king
chuck berry
long john baldrey
john lee hooker
dick dale
the surfaris
dion
abba
cat empire
neil young
butterfield blues band
alice cooper
a few others
nana mouskari
cleo laine
k.d.lang
michel buble
paul anka
the benny goodman sextet at Tivoli
oscar peterson
yo yo mah
Oscar Peterson AND Doug and the Slugs? Eclectic.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Three weeks ago, I was able to attend a show at a bucket-list venue.
String Cheese Incident - Red Rocks Amphitheater - July 18, 2021

original.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online