• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suzski

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone know if things are as bad as they look on the webcams? Flying out on the 27th and I'm thinking of taking only my beater skis if cover is thin and/or rocky.

thanx in advance!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't bother with the rock skis. Just bring you race skis.
Groomers only at this point. The groomers are groomed and covered very well. No rocks.

Season to work on technical.

Give me a shout if you want to make a few turns together.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Hey @KingGrump, any idea if conditions are ok for mtb'ing around Taos? I'll be out for ski week with the crew that's going the week of Feb 11th and wondering if we'd be able to ride this area one afternoon:
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7004437

Looking forward to meeting you & making some turns! Doing some pretty serious work on my snow dance as well. ;)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am also headed to Taos January 27 with about 39 folks from my ski club in tow. Plan to rent carvers and work on, well, carving. Have lesson week but will likely only ski 3 days and do some hiking and mountain biking and sight seeing as well.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Sandy_NYC and I were planning to go for a ski week first week of Feb, but due to the low snow, we've re-scheduled our trip for the last week of March in hopes that there is a sudden downpour of snow over Feb-Mar....We will hope and see....If not, there is always next season. I experienced the ski week for the first time last season and loved it. I think I actually improved!....Not to mention, the people of TSV - staff and locals - were the most engaging and diverse population I've ever encountered at a ski resort. This place truly is a treasure and hope you all enjoy it.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I canceled my Feb 2 trip reservations, but I'll be back in forth to NM. I flew in to SF last week and got a good look at southern Colorado and northern NM.
It's a lot worse than up here. :(

garylk

Booting up
Skier
We have a (long planned) family trip scheduled for Feb 11. I've been hanging on the last month hoping conditions would improve, but it doesn't look like it.

Rescheduling isn't an option (it was difficult enough to find a single week where all 4 of us could take off), so I'm working on plan B. Just not worth the trip from NYC under the circumstances; we can ski groomers around here.

Fortunately I won't be out of pocket for all that much. I'll be out a bunch of credit card points, and if I'm lucky maybe I'll get some vouchers for the plane tickets.

Maybe next year...

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @KingGrump, any idea if conditions are ok for mtb'ing around Taos? I'll be out for ski week with the crew that's going the week of Feb 11th and wondering if we'd be able to ride this area one afternoon:
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7004437

Looking forward to meeting you & making some turns! Doing some pretty serious work on my snow dance as well. ;)

Can't help you with the MTB conditions personally. I'll ask around and get back to you.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Timely chatter. I'd been quietly hoarding a plane ticket for Feb 2-6 to join you guys. (@Pumba , @KingGrump , @Crank , and others.) Last night I finally cancelled it. As garylk said, I can ski groomers here. I'm sure I'd enjoy the trip anyway, but can't afford the dollars and vacation time for "pleasant." If things hold up around here - not certain, by any means - I'll be at MRG on the 5th and will send y'all pictures.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Does anyone know if things are as bad as they look on the webcams? Flying out on the 27th and I'm thinking of taking only my beater skis if cover is thin and/or rocky.

thanx in advance!

I have heard that there is little snow in NM. It is strictly groomer skiing on man made. After tomorrows storm I am pretty sure MTB up in the mtns will not be possible down there. The new snow will not be enough to open new terrain but it will make the area look winter like and freshen up the slopes that are already open. It is an amazing area but it is FAR from everything. If you have a car you can drive to Wolf Creek (2h:45m) which should have a lot of terrain open after tomorrow. If it were me I would have cancelled my trip (I focus more on skiing) but If I could not I might as well just relax, enjoy what is there and take time to explore surrounding areas. NM is a special place and way different than most areas in the west.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmm, a friend is going to have car out there...maybe a day trip to Wolf Creek is in order.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I have heard that there is little snow in NM. It is strictly groomer skiing on man made. After tomorrows storm I am pretty sure MTB up in the mtns will not be possible down there. The new snow will not be enough to open new terrain but it will make the area look winter like and freshen up the slopes that are already open. It is an amazing area but it is FAR from everything. If you have a car you can drive to Wolf Creek (2h:45m) which should have a lot of terrain open after tomorrow. If it were me I would have cancelled my trip (I focus more on skiing) but If I could not I might as well just relax, enjoy what is there and take time to explore surrounding areas. NM is a special place and way different than most areas in the west.

Yeah..... don't bother with Wolf Creek. They have plenty of terrain "open", but it is a loose interpretation of terrain that has enough snow on it to be skied. They are on their fourth femur fracture this year, and that is not an easy bone to break.

If you align expectation, and mine have been lots of clinics, AM skiing and afternoon mtn biking you will have a blast.

Not snowing yet in SW CO, and the amount expected has been somewhat downgraded.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don't bother with the rock skis. Just bring you race skis.
Groomers only at this point. The groomers are groomed and covered very well. No rocks.

Season to work on technical.

Give me a shout if you want to make a few turns together.
All I know is I was skiing all last week and am not sure where I was as I couldn't see the hill!!!
Are you in NM for the winter KG ?
and if so you got a more comfortable couch than LS?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah..... don't bother with Wolf Creek. They have plenty of terrain "open", but it is a loose interpretation of terrain that has enough snow on it to be skied
Yeah, they are famous for being extremely willing to open terrain and leaving it up to you to decide if it is skiable.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Suz - hit me up if you come to Purg. It is just starting to snow,at 7,500'.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely bringing my MTB shoes and helmet. Spoke to a couple of shops out there. Both had already sold most of their rental fleet but the do have a few bikes they will rent out.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All I know is I was skiing all last week and am not sure where I was as I couldn't see the hill!!!
Are you in NM for the winter KG ?
and if so you got a more comfortable couch than LS?

Ahhh, W/B, best terrain you'll never see.
We'll be here until end of Feb. Will probably move to the bird for March & April.

Definite stop by TSV if you can. Of course there is always room for you.
Just let me know and we'll leave the light on for you.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wow sounds like a legit Taos Gathering going down at the end of January.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
For what it’s worth it’s snowing like crazy right now as I drink my coffee and getting ready to go up the mountain, maybe up to a foot of fresh snow on the higher peaks around Taos/Santa Fe.

While the powder will be great today still not enough to open most of the glades/off piste steeps but it will be a good start, hopefully the normal storm track will continue but we have a lot of catching up to do. Snow coverage is more like mid Nov/early Dec.

Hoping that by March we have typical January conditions...

Sponsor