• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Conform’able Thermo-Molded Liners?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have experience with these liners? Would they be an upgrade to the Liquid Fit liners that come stock in the Raptor WCR 4 (WCR Pro LF Adjustable tongue Laces option Racing footbed) or WCR 120 boots ( WCR HF Pro LF HP frame footbed)? Sounds like the Head WCR series are pretty cold boots. Would the Conform’able liner be warmer than the stock liners? Thanks!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Warm feet start with a great fit that provides performance without cutting off circulation. Beyond that, the best solution is ALWAYS boot heaters. Nothing else comes close to having a great boot heater. So my strong recommendation is to invest in a heating system instead of replacement liners.

Regarding the Conformable liners, I believe that they use something similar to Intuition Ultralon foam (if it isn't actually Ultralon), so you would expect that they would potentially have some improved warmth, but the LiquidFit liner is supposed to be pretty good. So I wouldn't be jumping at replacing them until you ski them.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing else comes close to having a great boot heater.

Tots disagree. Nothing beats not caring about little cold in exchange of great performance. :ogbiggrin:

Man up FFS, boot heaters are for sissies. :roflmao:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Tots disagree. Nothing beats not caring about little cold in exchange of great performance. :ogbiggrin:

Man up FFS, boot heaters are for sissies. :roflmao:
I think what @Tony Storaro is really saying is that if you get a pair of Stockli WRTs and rip it down groomers you will create enough friction to generate heat that warms your skis and boots

Personally I second the recommend great fit. With some boots you should also check to make sure they are sealing properly when closed as that is a sure ticket for cold wet feet. Boot gloves also help in colder temperatures, but when it gets super cold boot heaters are the only thing that truly work. And by super cold I am talking -25 F and colder.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think what @Tony Storaro is really saying is that if you get a pair of Stöckli WRTs and rip it down groomers you will create enough friction to generate heat that warms your skis and boots

Personally I second the recommend great fit. With some boots you should also check to make sure they are sealing properly when closed as that is a sure ticket for cold wet feet. Boot gloves also help in colder temperatures, but when it gets super cold boot heaters are the only thing that truly work. And by super cold I am talking -25 F and colder.

Hehehe, YOU KNOW IT!!!

Kidding aside, fit is of paramount importance.

And as I very rarely ski at colder than -15C, never felt the need of boot heaters.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I was a big boot gloves guy until I ran a test for myself by using a boot glove on only one boot. My determination was that the boot glove only gave me 3 more runs before the cold set in. I have a couple sets available if anyone wants them.

The idea that boot heaters somehow detract from high performance boot operation or fit is an old wive's tale. There are systems available that can be installed in a manner that does not detract at all from these important concerns.

dovski

Skier
I was a big boot gloves guy until I ran a test for myself by using a boot glove on only one boot. My determination was that the boot glove only gave me 3 more runs before the cold set in. I have a couple sets available if anyone wants them.

The idea that boot heaters somehow detract from high performance boot operation or fit is an old wive's tale. There are systems available that can be installed in a manner that does not detract at all from these important concerns.
So the trick with boot gloves is to warm your boots before you put them on, then the boot glove helps the boot retain heat. If you go inside take off the boot glove, remove all the snow crusted on before it melts and let it and your boots warm and dry a little before putting it back on and going out. The longer you ski in a boot glove, the less effective it is as I find it attracts snow and ice build up over time. Once the boot glove is essentially frozen it may actually be a negative vs a positive IMHO. Bottom line is it helps but only for a short period of time, that said my first day skiing in Big Sky this past year in -25, I had boot gloves and no boot heaters and I believe this is what helped me ski a full day and avoid frostbite on my tows. That said my feet super cold and numb by the end of the day and I rushed out and bought some pre-charged boot heaters at Lone Mountain Sports, did the same thing for my eldest daughter who could barely walk as her feet were so cold. Boot heaters saved that trip and let us ski bell to bell during that Arctic freeze. I will note that everyone else in my family made do with boot gloves, though they did not ski bell to bell that trip.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So the trick with boot gloves is to warm your boots before you put them on, then the boot glove helps the boot retain heat. If you go inside take off the boot glove, remove all the snow crusted on before it melts and let it and your boots warm and dry a little before putting it back on and going out. The longer you ski in a boot glove, the less effective it is as I find it attracts snow and ice build up over time. Once the boot glove is essentially frozen it may actually be a negative vs a positive IMHO. Bottom line is it helps but only for a short period of time, that said my first day skiing in Big Sky this past year in -25, I had boot gloves and no boot heaters and I believe this is what helped me ski a full day and avoid frostbite on my tows. That said my feet super cold and numb by the end of the day and I rushed out and bought some pre-charged boot heaters at Lone Mountain Sports, did the same thing for my eldest daughter who could barely walk as her feet were so cold. Boot heaters saved that trip and let us ski bell to bell during that Arctic freeze. I will note that everyone else in my family made do with boot gloves, though they did not ski bell to bell that trip.

Run the test like I did and see what your results are. I use a heated boot bag, so my boots always started out warm. Note that I believe that there is also the potential for the black boot gloves to aid in providing additional warmth if you use a lighter colored boot (like white Head boots) since the black color will absorb more of the heat from the daylight.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dude, that is like spring skiing in NE. :ogbiggrin:

Well, this is what we have around here, not my fault. :ogbiggrin:
How much lower than that does it get normally? I mean in longer spells like a week or two, not peak cold.

dovski

Skier
Run the test like I did and see what your results are. I use a heated boot bag, so my boots always started out warm. Note that I believe that there is also the potential for the black boot gloves to aid in providing additional warmth if you use a lighter colored boot (like white Head boots) since the black color will absorb more of the heat from the daylight.
Trust me we have tested these on different boots and in different conditions. As I said it makes a difference until the boot gloves get caked in snow and ice which depending on your conditions can happen in just a couple of runs. Once the boot glove is iced over it has little to no value. So in your test it helped with the first three runs which is similar to my experience and if that means three extra runs on a cold day that is a bonus in my books.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Trust me we have tested these on different boots and in different conditions. As I said it makes a difference until the boot gloves get caked in snow and ice which depending on your conditions can happen in just a couple of runs. Once the boot glove is iced over it has little to no value. So in your test it helped with the first three runs which is similar to my experience and if that means three extra runs on a cold day that is a bonus in my books.

I agree that it makes a difference. Just not enough for me to forgo boot heaters. Boot heaters are a guaranteed all day heat source. Set and forget, no need to complicate the matter... ;)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, this is what we have around here, not my fault. :ogbiggrin:
How much lower than that does it get normally? I mean in longer spells like a week or two, not peak cold.

The NE get weeks in the -15°C regularly in January and February. Primary reason for my annual trip out west.

Well given my desire and plan to move to SG and DH skis as soon as possible and my ambition to reach 160 km/h one day I might not live that long.

1638132018636.png

dovski

Skier
I agree that it makes a difference. Just not enough for me to forgo boot heaters. Boot heaters are a guaranteed all day heat source. Set and forget, no need to complicate the matter... ;)
It all depends on how cold it is outside. I have both and am getting a new pair of foot beds made as most of the time when I ski I do not need boot heaters, so will only use those on super cold days. My new Salomon SPro 130 boots are also much much warmer than my Lange SX130s, so that also helps :)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The NE get weeks in the -15°C regularly in January and February. Primary reason for my annual trip out west.

I see. Where I ski last year we had like 5 days below -15, like -17/-18 and people totally freaked out. Almost nobody on the slopes, corduroy turning to icy chalk and staying like that the whole day-best days in the season.
Normally it is between -5 and -10 and the latter is considered cold.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Am I the only one having to look up what the centigrade equates to in American dollars?
if you measured in Fahrenheit, your feet wouldn’t be so cold.
0 C sounds cold, but 32 sounds downright toasty!

Sponsor

Staff online