• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Considering Mantra M6 or Kendo 88 - need a little help

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Kendo 88 is more planky and mostly great for groomers.

You must be thinking of the gen 4 Kendo. A bit of a dog.

From what I've read the current M6 and Kendo 88 are exactly the same except for width. I wonder what makes the Kendo more "planky".

I own the 2022 M6 & he 2023 Kendo (gen 5). Both are big improvement over the previous gens.

As all mountain skis for skiing Lake Tahoe areas. Go with a M6 177.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You must be thinking of the gen 4 Kendo. A bit of a dog.

I own the 2022 M6 & he 2023 Kendo (gen 5). Both are big improvement over the previous gens.

As all mountain skis for skiing Lake Tahoe areas. Go with a M6 177.

I shouldnt but I think I need to get on a 23 Kendo to check it out lol Monster 88's getting a bit old

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I shouldnt but I think I need to get on a 23 Kendo to check it out lol Monster 88's getting a bit old
Hey Ken..I’ve been skiing the 23’ Kendo this season,…it is making me forget my Moment C98 infatuation. It really is a great ski for me here on the EC/ as stated in other threads..very versatile/ can make all types of turns in many different conditions…and as @KingGrump has so eloquently described…intuitive.

I‘ll be out at Breck over Easter…hope to see/ski with you and Doug again.

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
Bought the M6. Demo'd both. Easy choice. 177.

Attachments

• 20230210_151807.jpg
    20230210_151807.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 20230210_134853.jpg
    20230210_134853.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 120
TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
Curious to hear your thoughts on both skis, and why you preferred the M6.
*My Opinion*
The M6 in a 177 is plenty of ski for me. It was as solid at 45-50 mph GS turns on a high edge, then they were perfectly happy to tighten it up when I rolled to a steeper face section. Point and shoot and I loved the weight. Took them to some windblown chop, soft moguls, firm snow most in the west would call icy conditions and they didn't miss a beat. I'm sure a 184 would have been fun, but that's not the point with these skis for me.

The Kendo's were just less of everything. I know what I e read and heard - it's the same ski minus some width and some adjustments to radius but for me.... It's just not. They felt like a toy next to the M6. I don't know how else to put it. Probably easier to initiate and they ski much shorter but initiation isnt a problem for me. I didn't trust them as much as the M6.

There is absolutely a scenario where this would be all I NEED, but I'm fortunate enough to have a choice.

I'm a pretty decent skier and know how to bend a ski pretty well. I can't outski the M6.

And I got them with some Markers for 30% off, but don't tell anyone ;-)

I really appreciate everyone's input. Happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
*My Opinion*
The M6 in a 177 is plenty of ski for me. It was as solid at 45-50 mph GS turns on a high edge, then they were perfectly happy to tighten it up when I rolled to a steeper face section. Point and shoot and I loved the weight. Took them to some windblown chop, soft moguls, firm snow most in the west would call icy conditions and they didn't miss a beat. I'm sure a 184 would have been fun, but that's not the point with these skis for me.

The Kendo's were just less of everything. I know what I e read and heard - it's the same ski minus some width and some adjustments to radius but for me.... It's just not. They felt like a toy next to the M6. I don't know how else to put it. Probably easier to initiate and they ski much shorter but initiation isnt a problem for me. I didn't trust them as much as the M6.

There is absolutely a scenario where this would be all I NEED, but I'm fortunate enough to have a choice.

I'm a pretty decent skier and know how to bend a ski pretty well. I can't outski the M6.

And I got them with some Markers for 30% off, but don't tell anyone ;-)

I really appreciate everyone's input. Happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability

Congrats, and interestingly that aligns with my impressions after trying ~90mm vs~100mm versions of “same” skis over the years. Kendo vs Mantra, Brahma vs Bones, Enforcer 88 vs 100. I always end up preferring the wider option (and I’m an east coast skier…). Bones, and now Enforcer 100 been my daily drivers for close to a decade.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I already had the M6 last year when I demo the 2023 Kendo in April. I decided to pick up the 2023 Kendo because they are different skis.
he M6 is generally a more forgiving ski. Can be over skied easily.
The Kendo skied cleaner. Needs proper input for it to ski well. Finesse helps.

Last edited:

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll agree with the easier on the knees, comment earlier. I have had Kendos since they first came out and been on Volkl's since the G30. I have friends that have the M5 for everyday here in New England. I have wider Volkl's for those few days we need them.

While talking with them about replacing my 2017/2018 Kendo's after skiing my 110 Enforcers and my old Gotama's, those seemed to be harder on my knee's, I decided when I do buy new skis they will be the 23 Kendo in 177cm. I'm 68y/o 200lbs 5'11".

I demoed the 23 Kendo a couple of weeks back. Loved them.

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
I already had the M6 last year when I demo the 2023 Kendo in April. I decided to pick up the 2023 Kendo because they are different skis.
he M6 is generally a more forgiving ski. Can be over skied easily.
The Kendo skied cleaner. Needs proper input for it to ski well. Finesse helps.
I didn’t find that to be the case. Who knows, maybe it was the tune or ???. I found the Kendo fairly uninspiring. I wanted to like it more than the M6.

Sponsor

Staff online