• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Thats encouraging. My hope is to retire young and do just that. I had a friend of mine who went into wilderness medicine from medical school. Lives in AK and is living the dream. Slightly different, but nonetheless, there are some parallels.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The majority of our patrollers I would guess are 50+.

We've got one dude who has to be near 70 that is an absolute madman toboggan puller down the hardest terrain.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a huge proponent of men's (and ladies) health. I'm a bodybuilder and hockey player. In as much as I encourage men in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and older to stay fit and active, it's a testament to posterity to see a 70ish year old badass at work. Pretty frigging inspiring.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
@Jack Lake . I started at 56 and am now 63, my favorite part is pulling sleds, As a physician you would only need to go through OET (sled training). No need to wait to retire to do this , start now

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks @Carolinacub and @jmeb . I think OEC would be incredibly useful training. I really enjoy the hands on stuff. ATLS is still my favorite life support training class.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I suspect that depends on your patrol. On ours, everyone goes through OEC.
I hadn't really thought about that, I remembered that at the National level the guidelines were that physicians could test out of OEC.
Edit. they still have to go through refresher though

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
Most expensive hat I've ever had.

View attachment 90300
jmeb, would you mind outlining the costs for your first year? I was lucky enough to pass the ski test at WP the day before all the resorts shut down, and have until July-ish to make a decision for next season. I've been watching some useful OEC instructional videos to get a sense of some of the first aid skills I'd be learning.

Congrats on your first year!

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
All told I think the "hard" costs were about $400 for the National dues, patrol dues, OEC course & materials (the book is expensive and necessary -- esp as I believe this year is a new edition), basic medical supplies (scissors, masks, etc). Plus I spent another $100 on black GoreTex pants and a black softshell. I didn't buy the vest this year, but that'll be another $160.

Then there are the soft costs. The extra pitcher of beer here and there. The increasing budget for breakfast burritos on the way to the hill.

Then there's the non-financial cost which is what I was mostly referring to in that post. Patrol is a lot of time.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I started patrolling at 55yrs old. In Canada they shorten the course for doctors nurses etc. But there is still a lot of useful stuff for anybody.
Plus in the CSP we follow the protocols for insurance purposes. If a Doctor or paramedic goes above and beyond (very appreciated ) I think they are doing that on there own. I think the paramedics call in and they do it as if they are working for insurance purposes. Costs aren't bad dues and texts. First aid kit with back pack or vest. Our vest is a loaner. And beer afterwards and like it has been said lots of time. But worth it. We also wear the black pants as cheap or as good as you make it. We have our Patrol jacket as a loaner as well unless we buy our own. I have because I don't like sharing.You already have a stethoscope and a pulse oximeter. Some of us use them depending on level of training.

stan51

Getting on the lift
Skier
I started at 65, when I moved west after retirement. It helped that I have been skiing since I was 8. A lot of stuff I learned back then has proved useful (kick turns, jump turns, sideslip, etc.). I had a WFR certification before joining, which helped with OEC training. I have since acquired an EMT license.
Our mountain has both a paid and volunteer patrol. The pros fully staff weekdays, and have a reduced crew on weekends. The Nationals just do weekend duty, though they are welcome to show up on weekdays and help out. I showed up enough this year that I got put on the pro schedule, too.
For volunteer patrol, the initial costs of training, dues and test fees are about $650, plus whatever carrier is used for medical supplies, fanny pack, backpack or vest. After that, the cost is basically gas to get to the mountain and the occasional (or not so occasional) pitcher. Our patrol pays dues for volunteers who work a full schedule.
For me, it has absolutely been worth it.

Sponsor