• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Contacts and skiing

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Bought a pair of small wire rim eyeglasses to better fit under Smith Frontier goggles that are just average size so not one of those large OTL. The goggle does not press the metal eyeglass bridge against my nose bridge like was bothered with using an older eyeglass pair. So am content with current setup. Also since Tuesday, am now vaccinated with 2 Pfizer doses, so changed from a KN95 to just a neck gaiter thus no longer am dealing with fogging.

TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bought a pair of small wire rim eyeglasses to better fit under Smith Frontier goggles that are just average size so not one of those large OTL. The goggle does not press the metal eyeglass bridge against my nose bridge like was bothered with using an older eyeglass pair. So am content with current setup. Also since Tuesday, am now vaccinated with 2 Pfizer doses, so changed from a KN95 to just a neck gaiter thus no longer am dealing with fogging.
That's a option for me as well that I hadn't considered. I get fitted with my trial soft lenses hopefully today or tomorrow. They came in yesterday while I was skiing MT Hood Meadows with a friend.

TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied Tuesday at Mt Hood Meadows for 3.5 hours and Mt Hood Timberline yesterday
What a difference the distant vision contacts have made!Both days I used my goggles primarily while skiing with great results. I can still read with my near vision well enough to read the trail maps when required.
The Vuarnets have been relegated to driving to and from the slopes .
I have astigmatism but my eye doctor started me out with standard soft lenses instead of torics. I had them order a trial box of toric lenses also.

Last edited:

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Another happy contact lens under goggles wearer here. Contacts give better and less distorted vision than glasses, are more comfy, and are quite cheap. Probably safer too. My disposables are about a dollar a day. I only wear them for skiing and biking.

But don't let your friends suck you in to wearing sunglasses over contacts on a gorgeous spring day. The wind will dry out the lenses, and potentially dislodge them at high speed. Just wear your goggles.

And don't even consider prescription goggles unless you have a really minor correction. At my correction they'd be extremely distorted and I'd have to carry around my regular glasses for the lodge or any time I remove the goggles. My regular glasses are worth their weight in gold so I'd never ski with them. Not in my pocket, and definitely not on my face.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Contacts for over 40 years. Love them, can't read a trail map though.

Same for me, with a small amendment: I can't read a trail map without my reading glasses, which I never carry with me on the slopes. That's why I try to ski with DBostedo -- he memorizes all the trails.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
+1 for contacts. I seem to have more than enough fogging problems with just the goggles (only solution so far: abom goggles).

TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
+1 for contacts. I seem to have more than enough fogging problems with just the goggles (only solution so far: abom goggles).
Absolutely no time spent on foggy glasses or goggles definitely improves my day. I typically park the goggles on my helmet at the lift maze. Once on the lift the airflow will clear any fog on the goggles.
I now realize why I quit wearing contacts before though. I had a corneal abrasion back in the mid nineties that gave me problems. I will only wear the contacts for skiing so this shouldn't be a problem. It may preclude the use of the weighted toric lenses though.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Contacts for just about 20 years now, I've tried to ski with glasses once in that time and never again. It took a couple of years working with my eye doctor to dial in the brand and type of contacts that work best with my eyes. Just like demo'ing skis, the first set of contacts may or may not work well with your eyes.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Grew up skiing with glasses. Became an adult and tried contacts, never looked back.

Even a couple years ago, those with astigmatism could not wear contacts. But technology is always getting better and now there are contacts that allow for different eye shapes too.

Give it a try!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Grew up skiing with glasses. Became an adult and tried contacts, never looked back.

Even a couple years ago, those with astigmatism could not wear contacts. But technology is always getting better and now there are contacts that allow for different eye shapes too.

Give it a try!
I've had toric lenses for my astigmatism for at least 20 years, possibly 25. They used to be very clearly "weighted" but now however they do it, it's not obvious that this is the case.

Last edited:
TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I picked up my trial topic lenses last Friday and have worn them a couple days to get acclimated. I'm going to try them skiing tomorrow. They appear to be much sharper than the regular soft daily lenses. I inserted the left lenses upside down and as you can imagine things were a bit fuzzy. I spun them around 180 degrees and that cleared things up.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had toric lenses for my astigmatism for at least 20 years, possibly 25. They used to be very clearly "weighted" but now however they do it, it's not obvious that this is the case.
I always had torics and since they were expensive I was paranoid about losing one (or two!) My eyes have changed enough so I no longer need the torics. I use weeklys and just toss them when they get uncomfortable.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I always had torics and since they were expensive I was paranoid about losing one (or two!) My eyes have changed enough so I no longer need the torics. I use weeklys and just toss them when they get uncomfortable.
The benefits of a corporate vision plan, I guess. Contacts always cost way less than glasses for me.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I was considering contacts, but my Scot Turbofans saved the day. I have progressive lenses, so both near and far sighted.
Years ago I tried contacts (when I was just near-sighted), but I found they irritated my eyes after I cleaned them. Little did I know that they were the exact same physical thing as the disposable lenses or I might have stuck with it and just threw them out when they needed to be cleaned.

One good thing that can't be denied is, they (contacts) won't cut your face when you face-plant like glasses can.

Last edited:
TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
The daily vision soft lenses were difficult for me to remove. But the daily Toric disposables popped right out after skiing today. The optometrist said that the Torics are about $150 more a year if I where to wear them daily all year. But since I plan to use them just for skiing the cost should be manageable .
Severe clear blue skies at MT Hood today, the weighted torics provide a much sharper focus. I really like them.
Thanks for all the advice! :)