• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuing to ski hard while aging gracefully??

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
did you look at any of the articles from peer reviewed journals that were embedded in the article?
I can't read articles behind a paywall, just peruse the abstracts like @geepers. And being a chemist, not an physical therapist or whatever in that field of study, I'm not sure my opinions matter. I did wonder if the focus of the study was somewhat narrow and not sufficient to generalize to all athletes everywhere. I'll grant you that I've been in the stretching camp so long and had it reinforced by PTs, trainers, chiropractors, gyms, etc. that I've seen over the years that I found it hard to swallow an article from Outside that asserts that it's obvious to everyone in the know.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe the thinking behind this has changed or what I call stretching isn't really the official definition of stretching...:huh:

I liked the video. What he showed is also joint mobility but there was stretching as well. It was mild in nature which is what I prefer.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I stretched most of my life, 3x30 seconds per stretch, not much in theme of results.

A few years ago, hurt my back and i started stretching, mostly lower body, holding 6-10 minutes per stretch.

After a few weeks, i started to see good results, and now i do it a few times a week.

A few your body stretched, mainly while driving, a couple of minutes each.

But stretching alone wasn't enough, for example hip muscles so I could squat way down (no weights)

So i started to go thru the motion, not quite forcing, and in a few days, i could squat pretty low.

Not sure if this is mobility.

Anyway, I'm in the camp that stretching allows me to do things easier, like climbing.

I don't believe it helps with injury protection.

But lifting heavy definitely prevents injuries, obviously up to a point

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Our personal trainer friend said to watch all his videos. KOT's guy even says that this is the "cherry on top," after working through the four baby stages before it.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Well, whatever I have ... tights, cheap knee braces, etc ... but the best was the puffy pants. Luckily I have a friend who loaned me some, and they have been quite effective. I would never spend the money, myself, but I can see why they are a thing.

I borrowed some Normatecs about 6 years ago after a couple bike rides. I really liked them. My wife is a cyclist/runner and she's been hinting around about getting some of those, and I'm like "huh, if they can help my legs after skiing why not".

You found them helpful after a day of skiing? Anyone else use recovery boots after skiing?

-Chris

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wife has been having major back and neck pain after a surgery (you don't want to know on this one). Doctor would not prescribe any pain relievers due to healing process. Dr. Bob found a little sample jar of CBD cream. It is a wonder drug! Near instant pain relief for her.
I started rubbing the leftovers from my hands onto what is left of my worst knee. OH MY! It will not fix it but it sure reduces the pains so I can comfortably increase the damage while skiing bumps and stuff. A jar of this stuff is going to be a new staple in the boot bag.
Try it, you'll like it. (might be good on ice cream too)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With me it’s more about skiing gracefully while I age hard.

Didnt read the whole thread, so apologies if anyone’s already pointed that out.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is CBD and then there is CBD. Not all created equal. What brand did you use?

Source Code CBD; a local person here in Spokane makes it. It is the only one we have tried so no basis for comparison. With so much time spent comparing microbrew beer, pizza, skis and stuff not sure I have enough time to compare CBD creams too.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I think of this literally every time I see the title but haven’t had the motivation to scroll back in the thread to see if anyone already said it! You solved that one.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I think of this literally every time I see the title but haven’t had the motivation to scroll back in the thread to see if anyone already said it! You solved that one.

Post #15 but who's counting:
How about reversing the title?

Continuing to ski gracefully while aging hard.

FWIW I was berating myself for getting tired skiing cut up heavy PNW crud. Then I remembered I’m 58. I shouldn’t really expect myself to ski as hard (and stupidly and inefficiently) as I did when I was younger.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My back hurts.
My back hurts less when I go through a morning stretch/flex routine which includes some light strength stuff (a few pull-ups, push-ups & some crunches on an inflatable sports ball). I also began to use a foam roller a few years ago mostly on my legs which seems to have had a positive effect. 20-30 minutes total.

The other thing is “use it or lose it” & whatever you’re doing try to remain upright.
354F181D-7A71-4C10-993C-6D1E5832FC68.jpeg

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am about the same age. The best advice I got is that skiing is not supposed to hurt. I have focused on technique to learn to ski fluidly better. If you are as fluid and smooth as you are going to get then focus on strength training, endurance, and balance.

I have found that hiking with a pack is good for both strength and core training. Trail running, mountain hunting and fly fishing all have good synergy with ski season preparation.

I have found that after a hard day of dynamic hard charging, I sometimes need to listen to my body and retire to the patio earlier than when I was in my 20s and 30s.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I borrowed some Normatecs about 6 years ago after a couple bike rides. I really liked them. My wife is a cyclist/runner and she's been hinting around about getting some of those, and I'm like "huh, if they can help my legs after skiing why not".

You found them helpful after a day of skiing? Anyone else use recovery boots after skiing?

-Chris

I was using them mostly for post-op swelling (which lasted for months after my knee replacement). Don't know about after a ski day: I'm sure they would help a lot, but although I got in around 30 days last season, most weren't very long days and I don't remember needing much recovery.

Sponsor

Staff online