• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuing to ski hard while aging gracefully??

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
So far I have not seen anyone address the key point in keeping you skiing more as you age. It's nothing to do with your own body/mind - the biggest thing to maximizing ski time, if you are married, will be keeping your partner capable of and still interested in skiing.

This.

About the only good reason for taking anti-inflamatory / pain suppression to ski is toothache. And only if the dental appointment is late in the day.

I got a chuckel... skiing partner. Wife mentioned skiing a few years ago, thinking about getting back into it. Me: who you gonna ski with?

I try to just go and this season has been quite good so far. I have serious pain in the neck and back and that keeps me awake most of the night, also vertigo and serious balance problems. I have in the past been a big crossfitter - I do nothing now except go for a walk. Crossfit was amazing. I try to eat Paleo and that keeps my weight down and me feeling better. Hips and knees - arthritis.

I love to ski and it lifts me. When I got home yesterday I felt great. That is rare for me. I love the challenge and movement. I am a pretty good skier so I seek good skiing from myself.

I occasionally ski with a fellow who is 85 +/-. He rips and his skiing is impeccable. Guy is in great shape but issues are beginning to show.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I first took up skiing at age 31 (which is now 38 years ago), and was seriously hooked from day one. I would usually sit out most of the summer and only start serious ski conditioning around September. Then one September at about age 55 I went to the gym and jumped on the stair stepper for my usual 20 minute warm up and about 5 minutes in thought I was going to die. So much for thinking I would be forever young. Since then I have focused on staying fit year round. I devoured every article, print and online, I could about ski fitness and had varying success until about 3 years ago I settled on the leg blaster routine outlined below. This is hands down the best preseason routine I have ever used. And it's very time efficient (A seriously HIIT workout). Read through Rob Shaul's introduction and rationale to understand why he, too, thinks this it the best routine for getting ready for ski season. Don't try to muscle through 5 sets of full leg blasters on your first day. I tried that and the next day thought maybe I had lamed myself for life. But for sure, ease into it and give it a serious try. About 3 weeks in, I think you will agree with me.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I first took up skiing at age 31 (which is now 38 years ago), and was seriously hooked from day one. I would usually sit out most of the summer and only start serious ski conditioning around September. Then one September at about age 55 I went to the gym and jumped on the stair stepper for my usual 20 minute warm up and about 5 minutes in thought I was going to die. So much for thinking I would be forever young. Since then I have focused on staying fit year round. I devoured every article, print and online, I could about ski fitness and had varying success until about 3 years ago I settled on the leg blaster routine outlined below. This is hands down the best preseason routine I have ever used. And it's very time efficient (A seriously HIIT routine). Read through Rob Shaul's introduction and rationale to understand why he, too, thinks this it the best routine for getting ready for ski season. Don't try to muscle through 5 sets of full leg blasters on your first day. I tried that and the next day thought maybe I had lamed myself for life. But for sure, ease into it and give it a serious try. About 3 weeks in, I think you will agree with me.

I read through the intro and I think if you can relate to the concentric/eccentric strength training approach, you would also like "Body by Science". BBS goes a few steps further in fine-tuning how you workout by eliminating the focus being about # of reps and sets (and avoiding any use of momentum in the lifts). Instead it's about going to failure on every lift within a set span of time. You keep the muscles under load throughout the exercise (there's no stopping during the reps, you're always moving through the ends of the lift cycles). You literally push your muscles as far as they can go (safely) and then wait for them to fully recover before tearing them down again. It's science. :)

Edit P.S. - so now I've watched the Leg Blasters video and I'm really confused. I saw very little focus on eccentric movements and lots of bursting using tons of momentum. I'm sure they're hard, but not so sure they're what I prefer. I see great potential for injuring myself doing that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I read through the intro and I think if you can relate to the concentric/eccentric strength training approach, you would also like "Body by Science". BBS goes a few steps further in fine-tuning how you workout by eliminating the focus being about # of reps and sets (and avoiding any use of momentum in the lifts). Instead it's about going to failure on every lift within a set span of time. You keep the muscles under load throughout the exercise (there's no stopping during the reps, you're always moving through the ends of the lift cycles). You literally push your muscles as far as they can go (safely) and then wait for them to fully recover before tearing them down again. It's science. :)

Edit P.S. - so now I've watched the Leg Blasters video and I'm really confused. I saw very little focus on eccentric movements and lots of bursting using tons of momentum. I'm sure they're hard, but not so sure they're what I prefer. I see great potential for injuring myself doing that kind of stuff.
Yes, I know Doug McGuff's book very well. It's in Kindle on my iPhone. The eccentric phase of each of her movements in the video is the movement of her CoM toward the floor. Esp. the landings in the last two phases. The eccentric phase can be emphasized by trying to land as softly as possible, so as not to wake someone sleeping in the apartment below.

If you have concerns about the exercise, try easing in with half blasters.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1. stretching and core work, use a lot of yoga moves. Almost every day and every morning I stretch on my mat on living room floor.

2. My general fight against aging is to - KEEP MOVING- I still do a lot of stuff myself just because I can.

3. Can you ski relaxed, i.e. last part down to chair, lodge etc. Can you ski relaxed down a trail or road, at speed, on a traverse or any easier part of the mt. ? Being able to do this (really do this) will save your quads.

4. I don't COMBAT the mountain but try to flow more than outmuscle the lines.

Impart that wisdom my Man! :hail: These tips are the key to life!:beercheer:

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I haven't read all four pages but I would say stop breaking bones and keep up your stretching. Most of my aches and pains are from previous ortho injuries. The older I get (66 now) the longer it takes to heal. My last break (slightly smooshed L-1) is the worst @ 64. That's the one that let me know how much I've aged. I haven't been able to rehap away all the pain and must keep stretching to keep it at bay.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I dont think I saw this posted so Apologies if it was but theres a good chance you are over stretching and over rolling, especially on your ITB. You cant technically stretch your ITB, you can irritate it and piss it off royally. I would look at stretching opposite muscle groups which will help with the ITB.

I wont even get into the age thing but technique is your savior. It will allow you to ski harder, longer and not strain your body as much.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wont even get into the age thing but technique is your savior. It will allow you to ski harder, longer and not strain your body as much.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner, Winner. Chicken dinner. :yahoo:

The third leg to the four legged stool.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
...but technique is your savior. It will allow you to ski harder, longer and not strain your body as much.
Senior here. Skied steep fall line bumps 4.5 hours yesterday. Too much fun for an old guy. Just day 4 this pandemic limiting season. During this holiday period, not exercising much, too chilly, lazy, and eating too much haha. Not at all stiff or sore this morning but the 8 hours of driving gave me insomnia at 5am now as I poke at this smartphone.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
as most of you know I have battled orthopedic injuries all my life (we think genetically, there's some kind of issue where my cartilage/ligaments are weak), However, you have to push through it and educate yourself on how to work around physical issues. I am very lucky to have health insurance and access to good healthcare. it wasn't until my 3rd hip surgery last year that I am able to make the necessary movements to improve my technique to the levels I have been working towards. My point is that you can improve your technique at any age and you can improve your overall health. Dont give up or give in due to "age", work to your strengths, try to improve the weaknesses. I guarantee you weren't 100% fit and able at 32!

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
4. I don't COMBAT the mountain but try to flow more than outmuscle the lines.

Excellent point; fighting old age will only hasten that final defeat. Better to gently waltz with it down a sunny mountain path ...... without shadows and hidden tripping hazards.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont think I saw this posted so Apologies if it was but theres a good chance you are over stretching and over rolling, especially on your ITB. You cant technically stretch your ITB, you can irritate it and piss it off royally. I would look at stretching opposite muscle groups which will help with the ITB.

Can you tell us more about this Ron? David's ITB is like a cable holding up a suspension bridge. No amount of foam rolling or PT has changed it and I think it has a lot to do with his multiple back issues. He does yoga or pilates two or three times a week, but while it helps his overall condition, it doesn't seem to have any impact on that tightness.

What other muscles to stretch and how?

James

Out There
Instructor
Years ago I had great results visiting an osteopath for IT band issues. She was so good I never went back after 1 visit. Don’t remember much but there were no foam rollers involved. Could use it again, 20 yrs later. One interesting thing I remember was making sure you empty the digestive system.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Howdy all,

Looking for tips and advise. I'm 43 and I try to ski 100 days a year. I average to 'ski' 3.5 hours a day, if it's crowded and most weekends maybe 2 hours but if its puking around 5. I prefer to ski off piste fast and hard and usually do 80% of the time. I love the powder, who doesn't, but I have almost as much fun blasting the crud and bumps that follows. I usually only ski groomers to move me from one place on the hill to another, or if everything has gotten iced over in some kind of thaw/freeze combo.

I'm finding that at 40 my body started complaining to me abit more and every year its kinda louder. Ive broken 10-12 bones(skiing/cycling/skateboarding as a youth) and all those are coming back now and then as aches. But my biggest issue is my IT band tightness and the strain they put on my lower back, hips and down my leg to my knees. I stretch several times a day(everyday) and use a foam roller once or twice a day. Im usually able to stay ahead of the pains if I keep a strict routine of stretching and foam rolling. If Im traveling or somehow forget, I'm always paying the price for a couple days with tightness and soreness through my hips and back. Im also finding my body doesn't bounce back as quickly from a hard day. Sore and tired muscles seem more frequent....

During the off season( of skiing) I hike or ride pretty much everyday, but never do any 'strength training' or skiing specific prep work. My summers are filled with alot of farm/forest work, which is very physical itself. I maintain my IT band stretching and foam roller work. During the winter skiing is my only frequent exercise(nearly everyday). I snowshoe or hike maybe once or twice a ski month. I walk the dog everyday about a hilly-mile but then Im off to riding the lifts. During the winter I put on a couple extra pounds, but those usually come off in the spring on the bikes, but even then I still have a few lbs to spare but I love IPA's too much to really care. Im relatively healthy besides the IT bands and previous bone breaks. No medication except allergy pill and a dose of daily vitamins. I do take glucosamine(not sure it does anything). I tried yoga a couple times, and liked the activity but had a hard time with the yoga studio environment.

So long intro to my question, as you've gotten older what have you done to allow yourself to continue to ski as you want? Any tips for helping muscles recover quicker/better after a hard day?

Thanks
-Chris
Braces for knees and back.

I'm 50 and we ski on a typical season. 30 days. Since we are low landers we ski from ding to doing (full day) As we have gotten older , we have been just slowing down a bit. We are on the mountain, but we make more rest stops with lots of water and no alcohol until days end.

James

Out There
Instructor
No one’s mentioned this, but you’ll have to wait till next season.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Can you tell us more about this Ron? David's ITB is like a cable holding up a suspension bridge. No amount of foam rolling or PT has changed it and I think it has a lot to do with his multiple back issues. He does yoga or pilates two or three times a week, but while it helps his overall condition, it doesn't seem to have any impact on that tightness.

What other muscles to stretch and how?

well, im not a PT or Dr, but @James hit on part of it. A lot of people have over-tight Iliopsoas/Psoas muscles and they can wreak havoc on everything. they can often be to cause of lower back pain as the go from the abdominals through the groin to the lower back (L4/L5). I would be using opposite muscle groups like adductors among others. If you google it, you will find plenty of articles on ITB release. I am also a big fan of a good massage therapist and dry needling.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Years ago I had great results visiting an osteopath for IT band issues. She was so good I never went back after 1 visit. Don’t remember much but there were no foam rollers involved. Could use it again, 20 yrs later. One interesting thing I remember was making sure you empty the digestive system.

Ha! Metamucil for the win!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier

Could the osteopath have used a strain-counterstrain procedure? That is an osteopathy technique that is also used by some physical therapists, naturopaths, and other practitioners to relieve pain & tightness. I looked at the Jones Institute directory of counterstrain practioners, and the nearest to Chris for work on his IT band would be in Spokane, too far.

For getting old and continuing to ski...stay flexible, stay strong (within reason subject to age), learn skiing techniques that are easier on body parts (flow in moguls, don't hammer them), and enjoy what your body can give you--don't ask for more.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I won't pile on too much, but I will say that one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to rest more. People think working is when you build strength, aerobic fitness, etc. Actually, working hard does damage to muscles; it's the rest period when they have a chance to recover and re-build is when you get stronger. As you get older, it takes longer for this process to happen, so you need to build in more rest and recovery time to account for that. Make sure not to make the young-person-getting-older mistake of thinking you just have to go harder and harder to catch up to where you were 20 years ago. The fact is that that body is gone. But it doesn't mean you can't have a great older body.

I had to learn this over the summer/fall while rehabbing from my knee replacement. I was recovering very quickly early on, so I kept pushing the rehab. (A lot of that is because the exercises seem so ... tiny, as if how could this possibly be helping??) But it was just resulting in inflammation and basically stalling recovery. After adding two full days a week of rest, things started progressing again.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and on the "do as I say not as I do" front, massage. I think it is vital for aging athletes. It is also something I haven't done in a few years.

Sponsor

Staff online