• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuing to ski hard while aging gracefully??

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Had to laugh at this, because my first response was - yeah, I don't like how my neck/jaw/(insert body part here) looks either!
Oh, there's that, too! All the wrinkles from spending oodles of time outdoors sans sunscreen when it was "cool" to slather our bodies in baby oil and cook in the sun. And, where did my eyebrows go? And why is my hair getting so thin? Why do I tinkle a little when I sneeze or laugh too hard?! Where are my keys?! :roflmao:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Nobody has brought up the visual part of aging, which for ME has proven to be as big a frustration as anything. It can be downright debilitating in flat light. It gets more challenging every year. I am still progressing as a skier since I learned as an adult, but I also ski with some fabulous skiers--instructors, PSIA examiners/L3s/former racers, and all of them are over 50, many over 60, and every one of them has been slowed down by their vision as much as anything. I also ski with a former world-pro mogul skier who's in his 60s who doesn't spend much time in the moguls anymore. He's got a lot of aches and pains from those days that make it pretty painful. That being said, he is still a fantastic skier who is out there having fun. My unscientific observation is that woman are more affected by the decline in vision than men, as it relates to skiing at least...

Vision issues impact me the most too. My weak left eye is near sighted while right eye far sighted, both about 70/20 with some astigmatism so marginal, though 100% corrected with eyeglasses. What plagues me while skiing is double vision that I have Prism eyeglasses for however that is ineffective at times. Fortunately I've learned to make turns by feel alone while seeing little. The double vision is due to a long career looking at computer displays, endlessly looking through microscopes, and especially reading print.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, there's that, too! All the wrinkles from spending oodles of time outdoors sans sunscreen when it was "cool" to slather our bodies in baby oil and cook in the sun. And, where did my eyebrows go? And why is my hair getting so thin? Why do I tinkle a little when I sneeze or laugh too hard?! Where are my keys?! :roflmao:
I miss my jawline.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a preview of how bad vision problems can be before I got my worst cataract fixed. One day in bad light I fell on one cattrack across the top THREE times before we got to the start of the skiing. I misinterpreted what was under my feet -- it was worse than a total whiteout because it seemed like I could see. It was much better on the real slope, fortunately.

Now that got that fixed, my skiing vision works much, much better. I still don't see as well when I was younger, but it is acceptable again.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Been in corrective lenses since the age of 10, and it hasn't gotten any better. This season with masks, goggles, and glasses have created a challenge I have not been able meet; so have been skiing with the glasses in my pocket.
It has really been an interesting experience, way less disruptive than expected. Kind of like skiing in a 4 chair fog for clarity.
Think it makes me pay more attention visually than with my glasses; hope I survive it.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nobody has brought up the visual part of aging, which for ME has proven to be as big a frustration as anything. It can be downright debilitating in flat light. It gets more challenging every year. I am still progressing as a skier since I learned as an adult, but I also ski with some fabulous skiers--instructors, PSIA examiners/L3s/former racers, and all of them are over 50, many over 60, and every one of them has been slowed down by their vision as much as anything. I also ski with a former world-pro mogul skier who's in his 60s who doesn't spend much time in the moguls anymore. He's got a lot of aches and pains from those days that make it pretty painful. That being said, he is still a fantastic skier who is out there having fun. My unscientific observation is that woman are more affected by the decline in vision than men, as it relates to skiing at least.

Aging can be rather depressing at times, for sure. The mental aspect of learning to accept the inevitable fact that your body is slowing down, your reflexes are slowing down, your vision degrades, is an integral part of a good mindset of gratitude as it all occurs. I mean, you're not the life-long couch potato who has debilitating arthritis simply due to being overweight, who as they age lose their ability to balance, their ability to even walk down the street, so pat yourself on the back for that. Skiing is good exercise for our balance skills, our reaction time, and that's all very important for quality of life as we get older. Mountain biking provides the same benefits, in addition to being a kick ass cardio workout, too.

So yes, we can all commiserate with getting older (I'm still a "young pup" at almost 52) and that it's pretty frustrating at times as our bodies flip us the bird when we try to do the things we used to do with ease, but we are still in a better place than many who are half or even 1/4 of our age, which should be celebrated! Menopause makes it happen all within a year for women, too. It's like this light switch turns off in so many ways. We also must remember that 100 years ago, many of us would literally be working ourselves to death.

Skiing in flat light, like many other things in skiing, can be learnt. Spent a season at Canada's Big White which is subject to more than its fair share of ....ah..... reduced visibility. Well, that's what their weather reports term it. Everyone else calls it Big WhiteOut. Days that are termed one-chair days - the only chair you see on the lift is the one you are sitting on. It's not like that all the time of course but there are blocks of days when it can be very bad. I kept a log for the 100 days I skied that hill that season - 25% of days were compromised vis and 1/2 of those were pea soupers.

Now it's either sit in the lodge or learn to ski it. Blind skiers learn. And so can folk who get enough practice. Stay loose and forward, not tensed and back. Keep turning. Feel the snow and terrain through the feet - they are your new eyes. Use poles as cat's whiskers. Ski in or next to the trees - they provide a reference and seem to suck the droplets of moisture out of the air. Follow people in bright outfits who clearly know what they are doing and ski your pace. (In time you become the one others are following.) It's not easy but can be learnt.

BTW I'd turned 60 prior to that season.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I got a preview of how bad vision problems can be before I got my worst cataract fixed.
I didn't think that I needed the cataract operation all that badly but it was a way to correct nearsighted astigmatism and eliminate eyeglasses. Once I had the cataract operation I realized that my condo did not need painting after all. ogsmile

The other day I was having problems with flat light and skiing with hesitation while wearing rose tinted Smith Chromapop Everyday lenses. I switched to yellow tinted Smith Chromapop Storm (fog is a 4 letter word to the ski industry) lenses. I went back to the same run and it was a huge improvement with the Chromapop Storm lens.

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
I am 57 and still pushing ski ballet. I am hopeful to stay on the slopes as long as possible.
Cross training with Kung Fu has really helped with my flexibility and leg strength.
Arthritis is my big problem. In addition, the key is to know your limitations. Thanks for the people who were posting about their fathers
skiing in their 90's. That is my dream and inspiration.
Here is some old school skiing. I think that you will all appreciate the rare 1980 K2 Freestyle skis.
It is super fun to get them back out on the slopes 41 years after they were manufactured.

Keep moving forward.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My DHs back doc told him to "ski with humility." He also said most active people have terrible spines when they get old. Just a matter of wear and tear. And smoking weakens your bones. Sonif you want to ski bumps at 75, don't drop cliffs at 45 and don't smoke.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flat light/bad viz when you're younger (more flexible, quicker reactions, stronger, etc) is one thing; when your stiff, slow to react and already dealing with spine/knee issues, it rules it right out. The consequences of messing up increase dramatically. Fortunately I live in sunny CA. The sudden transition from sun to shade is still brutal though - as my back reminded me 2 days ago.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am 57 and still pushing ski ballet. I am hopeful to stay on the slopes as long as possible.
Cross training with Kung Fu has really helped with my flexibility and leg strength.
Arthritis is my big problem. In addition, the key is to know your limitations. Thanks for the people who were posting about their fathers
skiing in their 90's. That is my dream and inspiration.
Here is some old school skiing. I think that you will all appreciate the rare 1980 K2 Freestyle skis.
It is super fun to get them back out on the slopes 41 years after they were manufactured.

Keep moving forward.

Appreciate the effort on the stoke, but ski ballet is one of those disciplines that just doesn't lend itself well to PoV video. :)

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skiing in flat light, like many other things in skiing, can be learnt. Spent a season at Canada's Big White which is subject to more than its fair share of ....ah..... reduced visibility. ....... Ski in or next to the trees - they provide a reference ......

It's just too bad most of Big White's trees are white too!:ogbiggrin:

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
The difference between 50 and 40 is way more staggering than the difference between 40 and 30 is. Keep active, keep exercising, but don't get discouraged if injuries happen easier and take longer to heal. Wait until you throw your back out just bending over to put on or take off your boot too quickly hahahaha!
Is it bad that I’m 37 and have already done my back in picking laundry up off the floor and then most recently putting my socks on?! I have a nagging herniated disc and sciatica that makes my left ankle ache and get some numbness in my foot. If I’m cautious it goes away and I’ve been able to ski this season so far. I think it’s time for an mri though. Getting old sucks!

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Welp one week into my new routine and I can't believe how much better my back/hips have been feeling. The daily stretching, limited yoga and some core work really seem like they are helping!

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet. But when I started on this quest to improve my overall fitness I did some daily logging of how much water I was drinking. I was averaging about 3-4 pints a day plus a glass of kombucha and one cup of coffee in the morning and usually a beer at night. In the summer when I'm riding/hiking my water intake is alot higher. However, I decided to up my water intake to the arbitrarily selected number of 10 pints a day. I've been doing that for a week now, and I can't prove any 'science' but I feel significantly 'better' in regards to lack of congestion and overall breathing. My wife says my occasional snoring is mostly eliminated.

I'm also trying to be abit more smart skiing. First run I do groomers with a wide variety of turn shapes and shaking out the body. The other day I got stuck on the lift for 15 minutes mid-day, but proceeded to do my first run of the day ritual. That being said I totally nuked myself last week when I slammed into a hidden (bump/tree/bear) under the fresh 6" of fresh we had while traveling very fast. Full on ass over head catapult to flat back landing. My pole had a 90 degree bend in it, but I was able to pop up and keep the day going.

-Chris

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Well Santa just brought me the TRX Pro4 Suspension workout system. That's a solution for people not wanting to invest in a bunch of heavy equipment or machines.

I'm looking at these more seriously now. I may do a diy or one of the generic versions since it's been a very expensive couple weeks for me.

Are you using one of the door/door jam mounts? If so does it work alright? Haven't ripped the door of the hinges yet??

Thanks
-Chris

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Is it bad that I’m 37 and have already done my back in picking laundry up off the floor and then most recently putting my socks on?! I have a nagging herniated disc and sciatica that makes my left ankle ache and get some numbness in my foot. If I’m cautious it goes away and I’ve been able to ski this season so far. I think it’s time for an mri though. Getting old sucks!
I picked up the cat litter box at like age 45 and was mangled by that.. Cat's dead now..payback is a bitch.. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online