• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuing to ski hard while aging gracefully??

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had to learn this over the summer/fall while rehabbing from my knee replacement. I was recovering very quickly early on, so I kept pushing the rehab. (A lot of that is because the exercises seem so ... tiny, as if how could this possibly be helping??) But it was just resulting in inflammation and basically stalling recovery. After adding two full days a week of rest, things started progressing again.
I am having two total knee replacements with the first in 3 weeks towards the end of Jan or early Feb. I have also read what you are saying about causing the inflamation and will be more aware of it.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
If you are having back issues, your core is weak. Most people (top level athletes included) do not balance the strength stomach and back, most times the stomach is weaker which results in back pain. This causes most people to exercise the back more and strength it which causes an even worse imbalance. This is why top level training programs focus on this aspect.

well,,, not entirely true, you can have spinal issues that have nothing to do with your core. For instance, I had the nerves in my L2, L3,L4, L5 deadened last May due to narrow foramen openings. this stopped the severe pain and allowed me to return to full level activity. That notion is no longer really valid. you can have back issues from overnight Psoas, and many people dont engage their glute muscles correctly and use their lower back muscles instead.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am having two total knee replacements with the first in 3 weeks towards the end of Jan or early Feb. I have also read what you are saying about causing the inflamation and will be more aware of it.

One thing that also helped immensely with the inflammation is taking Wobenzym. I was doing much better than, say, September, but still swelling up after decent workouts. I started taking this again around Thanksgiving, and wow, either it really helped, or it just coincided with the time my body was settling down a little. Compression has helped, too. But now we are straying, I guess. Should take it up in the TKR thread....

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Inflammation/muscular aches can also be diet related. About 10 years ago, I started the crossfit thing. About 6 months in, I tried the "paleo" diet and noticed a marked decrease in joint pain in general and improved exercise performance. I attribute this to reduced consumption of refined sugar, carbs, and most junk foods. Cutting those things out reduced joint pain and inflammation.

I'm not super strict about the diet anymore , but I do notice generally feeling better the better I eat. I also am not exercising like a total idiot in crossfit anymore - I am mindful about not overdoing things even though "I used to be able to lift that." So my suggestion would be to dial things back on the mountain and think about changing what you are eating. This will probably give you back some years, but not really halt the aging process :cool:

edited to correct a spelling error...

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Inflammation/muscular aches can also be diet related. About 10 years ago, I started the crossfit thing. About 6 months in, I tried the "paleo" diet and noticed a marked decrease in joint pain in general and improved exercise performance. I attribute this to reduced consumption of refined sugar, carbs, and most junk foods. Cutting those things out reduced joint pain and inflammation.

I'm not super strict about the diet anymore , but I do notice generally feeling better the better I eat. I also am not exercising like a total idiot in crossfit anymore - I am mindful about not overdoing things even though "I used to be able to lift that." So my suggestion would be to dial things back on the mountain and think about changing what you are eating. This will probably give you back some years, but not really hault the aging process :cool:

Yes, this is where I was headed with the Wobenzym. I was doing better with rest and compression, but still suffering, and remembered that I used to take this non-NSAID anti-inflammatory. I bought more and also started re-reading dietary stuff -- my diet isn't terrible but obviously it can always be better. Since it was right before the holidays, I decided to start the Wobenzym first and not change anything dietary. heh. Anyway, the enzymes helped a LOT. I guess now that the holidays are over, I can go to the next step. Not going dry January, though, not yet. (I think Thomas Paine had something to say about that...)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Yes, this is where I was headed with the Wobenzym. I was doing better with rest and compression, but still suffering, and remembered that I used to take this non-NSAID anti-inflammatory. I bought more and also started re-reading dietary stuff -- my diet isn't terrible but obviously it can always be better. Since it was right before the holidays, I decided to start the Wobenzym first and not change anything dietary. heh. Anyway, the enzymes helped a LOT. I guess now that the holidays are over, I can go to the next step. Not going dry January, though, not yet. (I think Thomas Paine had something to say about that...)

I am constantly dealing with swelling more than 10 years past my original injury. I have never heard of Wobenzym. Off to Google...

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I found the Wobenzym on Amazon. What "compression" are you referring to? Socks or?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I found the Wobenzym on Amazon. What "compression" are you referring to? Socks or?

Well, whatever I have ... tights, cheap knee braces, etc ... but the best was the puffy pants. Luckily I have a friend who loaned me some, and they have been quite effective. I would never spend the money, myself, but I can see why they are a thing.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I found the Wobenzym on Amazon.
Well, whatever I have ... tights, cheap knee braces, etc ... but the best was the puffy pants. Luckily I have a friend who loaned me some, and they have been quite effective. I would never spend the money, myself, but I can see why they are a thing.
Thanks. I have lots of knee braces and compression sleeves.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, that’s quite the compression setup. I can see that becoming a thing.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
On a complete tangent, I'm convinced that we're actually blinding our cats with the laser dots, or at least completely overwhelming their retinas. Imagine if someone shone a laser dot while you were wearing night vision glasses.

#dumbanimalisus

Always thought the point was to shine the laser on a wall or floor and have the cat chase it around.

I'm not super strict about the diet anymore , but I do notice generally feeling better the better I eat.

What we eat today walks, talks (and skis) tomorrow.

Would you please pass that bowl of crisps...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Always thought the point was to shine the laser on a wall or floor and have the cat chase it around.

That's exactly the problem scenario. White wall paint has what, 70% reflection?

Cats have a tapetum lucidum and get a monstrously higher illumination density at the retina that we do, in any light. Even allowing for non-specular reflection, I wouldn't be surprised if a laser on a white wall to a cat is directly comparable to shining the same laser directly in your mate's eyeball. Obviously polished surfaces like floors and furniture are even worse.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
About 6 months in, I tried the "paleo" diet and noticed a marked decrease in joint pain in general and improved exercise performance. I attribute this to reduced consumption of refined sugar, carbs, and most junk foods. Cutting those things out reduced joint pain and inflammation.

I don't eat much sugar, barely any 'junk' food but the carbs would be hard for me. I love pasta and beer. Did you eliminate any of your food loves?

-Chris

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Well people certainly seem to profess the benefits of Wobenzym. Are you taking this as a daily supplement? Do I add it as a supplement like I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
well,,, not entirely true, you can have spinal issues that have nothing to do with your core. For instance, I had the nerves in my L2, L3,L4, L5 deadened last May due to narrow foramen openings. this stopped the severe pain and allowed me to return to full level activity. That notion is no longer really valid. you can have back issues from overnight Psoas, and many people dont engage their glute muscles correctly and use their lower back muscles instead.
Isn’t that what I said?? Seriously, yes there can be other issues, but a majority are core related for exactly that issue.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well people certainly seem to profess the benefits of Wobenzym. Are you taking this as a daily supplement? Do I add it as a supplement like I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin?

Pretty much. Glucosamine never really did anything for me. I started taking Wobenzym back when my foot was getting bad; after two operations, it's finally "ok" -- but the main reason I tapered off on the W is that it was hard to remember to take it on an empty stomach. It ended up late at night and early in the morning, which aren't that far apart lol. But the PS version really has helped during these past few months.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From my cursory understanding of nutritional science and its impact on emotional and physical wellness, inflammation is more impacted by the balance of Omega 3 fatty acids (promotes anti-inflammation) to Omega 6's (promotes inflammation) than due to carbs. Ideally humans require a 1:1 to 1:2 ratio of Omega 3's to Omega 6's in our diets, however with processed food and the emphasis on feeding grains (source of Omega 6's) to livestock rather than grass-fed (source of Omega 3's), most people have a 1:16 or 17 ratio, so too heavy on pro-inflammation foods and not enough anti-inflammation foods.

I take an Omega 3 supplement for this reason.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I don't eat much sugar, barely any 'junk' food but the carbs would be hard for me. I love pasta and beer. Did you eliminate any of your food loves?

-Chris

I eliminated a lot of foods completely at first doing 'strict paleo' (whatever that means - though I did not ever completely drop beer). So that meant dropping a lot of 'food loves.' When I reintroduced them again later, I did not really enjoy them as much anymore simply because they make me feel bad later. So I do enjoy some 'food loves' but find that I eat them much more sparingly because frankly they make me feel ill after eating them. So that's part of the calculus.

Cutting out all bread was really hard initially, but I adapted. I do eat bread now again, but nowhere near the quantity I used to. I used to eat a lot of pasta, white potatoes, and bread. Every meal had to have a potato/starch involved. I don't eat these much anymore, but will occasionally at restaurants. Eating healthy at restaurants is hard to do, but that's a whole other subject.

I enjoy beer but don't drink a lot of it and never eliminated it completely.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I eliminated a lot of foods completely at first doing 'strict paleo' (whatever that means - though I did not ever completely drop beer). So that meant dropping a lot of 'food loves.' When I reintroduced them again later, I did not really enjoy them as much anymore simply because they make me feel bad later. So I do enjoy some 'food loves' but find that I eat them much more sparingly because frankly they make me feel ill after eating them. So that's part of the calculus.

Cutting out all bread was really hard initially, but I adapted. I do eat bread now again, but nowhere near the quantity I used to. I used to eat a lot of pasta, white potatoes, and bread. Every meal had to have a potato/starch involved. I don't eat these much anymore, but will occasionally at restaurants. Eating healthy at restaurants is hard to do, but that's a whole other subject.

I enjoy beer but don't drink a lot of it and never eliminated it completely.
Like you I would find it very hard to remove beer
Pretty much. Glucosamine never really did anything for me. I started taking Wobenzym back when my foot was getting bad; after two operations, it's finally "ok" -- but the main reason I tapered off on the W is that it was hard to remember to take it on an empty stomach. It ended up late at night and early in the morning, which aren't that far apart lol. But the PS version really has helped during these past few months.
[/QUOTE

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wobenzym PS (Professional Strength), provides twice the enzymatic strength of the original Wobenzym N formula, while the new Wobenzym Plus tablets contain 50% more than this PS formula. I just bought the N version From Amazon.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online