• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuing to ski hard while aging gracefully??

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm looking at these more seriously now. I may do a diy or one of the generic versions since it's been a very expensive couple weeks for me.

Are you using one of the door/door jam mounts? If so does it work alright? Haven't ripped the door of the hinges yet??

Thanks
-Chris

The Pro version includes the extension strap that I have slung over a beam in the "less finished" part of our basement. I haven't tried the door adapter yet, but it does hold the promise of making the system portable if I ever want to take it with me somewhere. You just have to be sure you have an 8'x6' space and at least 6' of height from the anchor point.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@KingGrump is one of the smoothest and most efficient skiers here, he doesn't even buckle his boots soem day but that OK, he skis with us guys. Skiing with Grump is like the death of a thousand paper cuts. Heed his words. Oh, and don't get me started about @mdf, he skis hell to bell in 30 year old rear entry boots.

I had the pleasure of skiing with 82 year old Dick Dorworth at Sun Valley last week. The only time he stopped was to get onto the lift at the bottom. 43? They are so cute at that age.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
The Pro version includes the extension strap that I have slung over a beam in the "less finished" part of our basement. I haven't tried the door adapter yet, but it does hold the promise of making the system portable if I ever want to take it with me somewhere. You just have to be sure you have an 8'x6' space and at least 6' of height from the anchor point.
We have one of these ... we also use the extension strap over a beam in the basement ... but before we moved in here, we used the door adapter for 6 months in an apartment. No issues; it was solid.

Of course, depends on your doors ...

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
we used the door adapter for 6 months in an apartment. No issues; it was solid.

Thanks for the input. I don't have any beams for indoor use, however in summer I'd probably move it outside to my patio where I have plenty of options to sling it to.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Apologies that I haven't read the whole thread @chris_the_wrench, but a few things I learned on the journey from 40 to 61:

1. You have to incorporate a whole body workout a couple times a week. I keep it simple, and call it my dumbell/situp/pushup/stretch routine. 25 minutes tops, done at home, with no equipment other than dumbbells and ankle weights.

2. Slow down a little bit. This was hell for me, but I have learned to live for the turn, and no longer really care about speed.

3. Consider softer boots and skis that transfer a bit less shock to the aging joints.

4. Take a day off -- minimum -- every week. Nothing beyond a good walk with the dog.

5. As my dad once told me "fight aging with everything you've got, but accept it gracefully -- you can't stop it".

Discuss on a few chairlift rides this AM? I'm solo today, and would love to follow a local around the mountain. PM if interested.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Try Pilates mat work. Get a thicker (15mm) mat for that, much thicker than a yoga mat. You can add peripherals like the circle, weights, or resistance bands to make it harder, or cushions/yoga blocks to make it easier where flexibility isn't what it used to be. The mat work can be more challenging than using the Pilates reformer equipment that you'd find in a studio.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
At some point find a way to make time for serious strength training. Body by Science only takes 15-30 minutes max.

I've been reading that book. Only through the first few chapters, deep into the 'science' part.

As a former competitive cyclist and runner I'm finding it VERY interesting! Making me second guess my high school XC coaches who had us running 80-100 miles per week preparing for 5k races. And questioning my own designed training plans that had me riding 30 hours a week for a 90 minute crit race or a 3 hour mtb race.

I'm looking at the big 5 exercises they recommend, I'm cross referencing those with suspension trainer and resistance band workouts that are similar since I don't have access to all the equipment.

Great read, I'd second the recommendation to read the book.
-Chris

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've been reading that book. Only through the first few chapters, deep into the 'science' part.

As a former competitive cyclist and runner I'm finding it VERY interesting! Making me second guess my high school XC coaches who had us running 80-100 miles per week preparing for 5k races. And questioning my own designed training plans that had me riding 30 hours a week for a 90 minute crit race or a 3 hour mtb race.

I'm looking at the big 5 exercises they recommend, I'm cross referencing those with suspension trainer and resistance band workouts that are similar since I don't have access to all the equipment.

Great read, I'd second the recommendation to read the book.
-Chris

Glad you're enjoying it. I hope you get great results when you put it into practice.

I was a body builder in my 20's and I blame a lot of my nagging aches and pains on the extreme stress I put my body through in those years; all in the name of building more muscle mass. I wish I had the BBS book back then. I could have saved myself a whole lot of pain and agony.

Edd

Booting up
Skier
I turned 50 last March when COVID got going. A lot of good info in this thread. I’m looking at Amazon reviews on the Body by Science book. Does anyone do this without a trainer?

I‘m skiing decently at 50; not overweight and I regularly seek out the ungroomed here in the northeast. I’ve had my share of ski injuries but the last one was 10 years ago (ACL).

The OP mentioned stretching. I’ve been doing the routine below for months right after waking up. It has solved some hip pain I’ve had and gives me a good start to the day. There’s NO talking, just music, which is I think why I stick with it.

Also, lighter weight gear was mentioned and I couldn’t agree more. I’m on Head Kore 93s and Atomic Hawx 110 boots and both items are significantly lighter than the gear they replaced. The combination feels game changing to me for cutting down on effort skiing.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you have announcers on yours at all? I've just been getting the video feed with random sounds from on the hill.
The next season was very fortunate to do a bumps clinic early in the 2 month trip. The instructor watched one run of bump skiing and straight out asked if I got sore knees. Began changing the technic from that point and extremely happy that sore knees are a thing of the past.

Geepers, could you post or pm me what the instructor told you that helped the knees. Curious am try to get more edge angle without the knee pain, just don't bend the knees like used too.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

-Chris
I remember when the idea was you needed to put in 2k "base miles" in the spring to get ready for the bike race season.. I'm out of touch with serious racing these days.. I wonder if that is still the philosophy being used..

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Geepers, could you post or pm me what the instructor told you that helped the knees. Curious am try to get more edge angle without the knee pain, just don't bend the knees like used too.

Hi Pete,
First up, your issues may not be the same as mine - although there may be some similarities from what you posted above and in the Edge Angles post.

Prior to that lesson I was attempting in vain to get more edge angle (more edge = more grip, right??) by bending my knees laterally. Knees don't do this very well however it is possible to do one's best by laterally loading the knees, especially if there's a lateral a-frame. (I also have knock knees.)

Placing lateral load like that on the knees is a really, really bad idea and doubly so in bumps. (I just didn't know it at the time.)

So the instructor worked on separation, turning (or allowing) the legs to turn in the hip sockets. Step 1 was pivot slips with hips facing mostly down the valley. Of course with separation there's angulation from a little flex at the hips with a basic alpine stance. It's easy to adjust that for grip. Step 2 slip into grip, now with no lateral load on the knees and much more effect. Took that feeling of being "over" the outside ski back into the bumps. Voila - the frozen peas ended up being eaten and not used for recuperation.

The meat and potatoes of that lesson probably took 15-20 minutes. The rest was mileage and other unrelated pointers.

Did CSIA L1 and L2 in the month following which further cemented the learnings.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember when the idea was you needed to put in 2k "base miles" in the spring to get ready for the bike race season.. I'm out of touch with serious racing these days.. I wonder if that is still the philosophy being used..

I've got a young friend that is still deep into bike racing. I asked him. He said the LSD springtime stuff still exists, but not as the ONLY thing to do in early season.

And I know for a fact the serious swimmers spend less than half the time in the pool than I did as a youth, when we were doing huge volume "daily doubles" the first half of the season. Gawd those were HATEFUL!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking at these more seriously now. I may do a diy or one of the generic versions since it's been a very expensive couple weeks for me.

Are you using one of the door/door jam mounts? If so does it work alright? Haven't ripped the door of the hinges yet??

Thanks
-Chris
I have a chinning bar mounted in a doorway and I have my TRX attached to that so far so good (I weigh 175lbs)

Sponsor