• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuing to ski hard while aging gracefully??

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1) Moderation in all things
2) Use proper body mechanics in all of your exercises
3) Just keep moving
4) Proper cool down and care of injuries (google Kelly Starrett)

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am going to a pain management doctor shortly. Maybe that will help.

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm 86. When I started skiing, every turn was an event. Over time, with the improvements in equipment and groomed runs the sport has gotten a lot easier so I just keep my age in mind--I quit racing at age 60--and enjoy it. Its still fun skiing on Marshmallow run and a good excuse for white wine therapy at the end of the day.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'm 86. When I started skiing, every turn was an event. Over time, with the improvements in equipment and groomed runs the sport has gotten a lot easier so I just keep my age in mind--I quit racing at age 60--and enjoy it. Its still fun skiing on Marshmallow run and a good excuse for white wine therapy at the end of the day.
Do you ski Wanoga and I-5?

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski the lower part of Wanoga from the top of the Cloudchaser Chair. It has been several years since I skied the top part off the summit. I have not skied I5 since they shortened the Rainbow Chair. It is unlikely that I will ever again ski the top part of Wanoga or I5. I got a new hip this fall and a serious medical problem came along with it. If I'm able to ski this season, it may not be until Timberline is my only option. I have 73 ski seasons behind me and I'm determined to go for 74 if at all possible.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tremendous! Good on you. Still being able to be out there trumps everything else.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. Do Crossfit, or something like it; train, stretch, but the key is to just keep moving. I ski with many people in the 60's, 70's and . 70. and 80's.
Howdy all,

Looking for tips and advise. I'm 43 and I try to ski 100 days a year. I average to 'ski' 3.5 hours a day, if it's crowded and most weekends maybe 2 hours but if its puking around 5. I prefer to ski off piste fast and hard and usually do 80% of the time. I love the powder, who doesn't, but I have almost as much fun blasting the crud and bumps that follows. I usually only ski groomers to move me from one place on the hill to another, or if everything has gotten iced over in some kind of thaw/freeze combo.

I'm finding that at 40 my body started complaining to me abit more and every year its kinda louder. Ive broken 10-12 bones(skiing/cycling/skateboarding as a youth) and all those are coming back now and then as aches. But my biggest issue is my IT band tightness and the strain they put on my lower back, hips and down my leg to my knees. I stretch several times a day(everyday) and use a foam roller once or twice a day. Im usually able to stay ahead of the pains if I keep a strict routine of stretching and foam rolling. If Im traveling or somehow forget, I'm always paying the price for a couple days with tightness and soreness through my hips and back. Im also finding my body doesn't bounce back as quickly from a hard day. Sore and tired muscles seem more frequent....

During the off season( of skiing) I hike or ride pretty much everyday, but never do any 'strength training' or skiing specific prep work. My summers are filled with alot of farm/forest work, which is very physical itself. I maintain my IT band stretching and foam roller work. During the winter skiing is my only frequent exercise(nearly everyday). I snowshoe or hike maybe once or twice a ski month. I walk the dog everyday about a hilly-mile but then Im off to riding the lifts. During the winter I put on a couple extra pounds, but those usually come off in the spring on the bikes, but even then I still have a few lbs to spare but I love IPA's too much to really care. Im relatively healthy besides the IT bands and previous bone breaks. No medication except allergy pill and a dose of daily vitamins. I do take glucosamine(not sure it does anything). I tried yoga a couple times, and liked the activity but had a hard time with the yoga studio environment.

So long intro to my question, as you've gotten older what have you done to allow yourself to continue to ski as you want? Any tips for helping muscles recover quicker/better after a hard day?

Thanks
-Chris
Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. Do CrossFit, or something like it ( strength train!); train, stretch, eat well, etc.. but the key is to just keep moving and challenging yourself. I ski with many people in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
74 yo here... last few years my pre season ski conditioning has consisted of finishing PT / rehab from the previous seasons adverse events !
Learning to really embrace groomers these days. Quit masters racing a few years ago but not before going up the chair with a 92 yo ( this was in VT: Sise Cup series; full length real deal courses) differed to him the entire ride, watched him shuffle off the chair and thought, oh how nice; he’s still skiing and prob will slowly amble down the course. He beat me by a full second first run!
I think of him each time i think maybe I’m getting too old for this stuff.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I highly recommend this book: Lifespan: Why We Age--and Why We Don't Have To
David A. Sinclair PhD, professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School
Atria Books, 2019

Dr. Sinclair explains the aging process and real, practical ways we can slow it down. I listened to the audiobook--Sinclair read it; he's an OK reader even with his Aussie accent. The content was A++

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Inflammation/muscular aches can also be diet related. About 10 years ago, I started the crossfit thing. About 6 months in, I tried the "paleo" diet and noticed a marked decrease in joint pain in general and improved exercise performance. I attribute this to reduced consumption of refined sugar, carbs, and most junk foods. Cutting those things out reduced joint pain and inflammation.

I'm not super strict about the diet anymore , but I do notice generally feeling better the better I eat. I also am not exercising like a total idiot in crossfit anymore - I am mindful about not overdoing things even though "I used to be able to lift that." So my suggestion would be to dial things back on the mountain and think about changing what you are eating. This will probably give you back some years, but not really halt the aging process :cool:

edited to correct a spelling error...

On Crossfit, I agree with you about exercising like a total idiot. But there should be a Crossfit Lite or maybe a Geriatric Crossfit. I really miss it and the great conditioning it provided. I have never been in shape like I was then.

Inflammation/muscle aches... Paleo was the best. But I can't seem to get back to it. I know it would really help me but there is some kind of block going on.

The end of the season was a disaster for me. After my vaccine, second shot I had an aggressive reaction of arthritis. It hit in every spot where I had ever felt it before, like the joints below my fingernails, shoulders into my neck, feet and most painfully - my neck and all of the common places. It ruined my sleep! However, I still don't regret the shot. But it left me feeling like I may not be able to ski again - I am sometimes dramatic. It's almost June and I am still a wreck.

I am back at the gym and it's a pathetic existence. Working the quads with squats, running minimally, sit-ups and crunches. Also I am doing cable exercises to help me stand up so I don't look like an old man.

We shall see.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
To the OP
Your tight IT bands, quads and hip flexors will thank you if you take one day off a week from skiing/biking/hiking. When they get really tight consider 3 rest days in a row. After 40 your body needs some rest.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
To the OP
Your tight IT bands, quads and hip flexors will thank you if you take one day off a week from skiing/biking/hiking. When they get really tight consider 3 rest days in a row. After 40 your body needs some rest.

My ski/work schedule allows me to ski about 20-28 days in a row then I have to take about 5-7 days off for responsible adult stuff. That being said Saturdays I usually ski just a couple hours. So it’s kinda a day off.

Im finding that my daily stretching routine and working on some basic core strength is paying HUGE dividends. Since I started that program Ive been feeling pretty dang good. I had a gnarly crash about two weeks before closing day, I really think my stretching routine let me ski they next day(just a few runs) versus being laid up a few days.

-Chris

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My ski/work schedule allows me to ski about 20-28 days in a row then I have to take about 5-7 days off for responsible adult stuff. That being said Saturdays I usually ski just a couple hours. So it’s kinda a day off.

Im finding that my daily stretching routine and working on some basic core strength is paying HUGE dividends. Since I started that program Ive been feeling pretty dang good. I had a gnarly crash about two weeks before closing day, I really think my stretching routine let me ski they next day(just a few runs) versus being laid up a few days.

-Chris
Stretching is good, but it will prevent injuries.

In a bad crash, your muscles will be stretched way beyond the normal rom.

However, stretching will let you do things that otherwise you couldn't do, do keep at it.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stretching is good, but it will prevent injuries.

In a bad crash, your muscles will be stretched way beyond the normal rom.

However, stretching will let you do things that otherwise you couldn't do, do keep at it.
I learned about stretching from my youth playing basketball. Our coaches had us spend what seemed like a ridiculous amount of time warming up and stretching before practice or a game. I carried this over into running and now skiing. My wife is the same way as a former HS gymnast. I don't see how we could ski 5-6 days a week without it. One crash this year compressed my grip around my pole on impact with the ground. It still is not back to normal, but is getting better with a little PT. I had a worse crash on a foggy day that I just got up from and skied away a little stunned but no worse for wear.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I totally agree with stretching and flexibility.

How many people here stretch before starting skiing? I usually have several stretches I do before starting out; it doesn't take more than a few minutes. I rarely see many other skiers (and never snowboarders) do any stretching, including instructors. Mostly it's race training kids, and a few other serious skiers.

I was doing my stretching routine before a teaching day and heading out for warm up runs with other instructors, and this one (now retired) Training Director advised me to not stretch too much before warming up a bit. I recall thinking, I had just walked from the far end of the parking lot with my gear and felt warmed up, he must be thinking that you take a warm up run or two before doing anything real.

My view is that I want to be prepared to ski whatever conditions and whatever terrain on the first run. I'm also very aware of how much easier it is to keep my body in better position and balance after stretching.

Sponsor

Staff online