• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wonder what this lift looked like. Original sign on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-V...542171?hash=item596307c21b:g:SIwAAOSwEz1gCihF

1611323582325.png

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trying to work out how the cable got back down. It doesn't appear to be an endless loop.
This was before my time, but I think I recall being told that they flipped the drum and ran the cable out again with the sled attached.
These were a couple of resourceful farm boys using one of their father's tractor engines.

Reactions: NE1

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Niseko, on Hokkaido Island, Japan, runs "pizza box" single chairs on the exposed top of the mountain. These lifts are frequently shut down due to high wind. The seat is a square flat piece of plywood shaped like a -- pizza box. I was on the snow when one of these lifts broke down. The patrol brought out long poles with hooks on the ends to get over the cable and pass lowering ropes to the riders.

I skied at Snow King in Jackson, Wyoming, when the lift had the wood towers. Slow, noisy, said to have been a mine ropeway.