• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are there many lifts left with lattice towers?

Boyne Mountain used to have a few of those, but I think they took the last one out, Top Notch about 10-15 years ago.
The most well known one I know of is the single chair at MRG. It's not entirely the original lift - a lot of things were updated in, I think, the 90's. But it kept the lattice towers. Various SkiTalkers (nee PugSkiers) skiing around them here.

NE Gathering 040119 065 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Believed to be the 1st double chairlift. Mt. Spokane 1949. Probably the beginning of Riblet Chairlifts in Spokane. He made his money with mining conveyors so this wasn't too much of a leap. Those were wood towers.

All you patrollers, think about getting the rime off of that beast. Mount Spokane gets some spectacular snow ghosts by the way.
1st chair.jpg

riders 1st chair.jpg

SkiMcP

At the junction of 89 & 93
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tenney still has a lattice lift.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Various SkiTalkers (nee PugSkiers) skiing around them here.

View attachment 117792

Speaking of vintage. Perhaps some of the Ski-Talkers should consider updating their wardrobe. I recognized many of the skiers in that photo by their clothes. Think incognito.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of vintage. Perhaps some of the Ski-Talkers should consider updating their wardrobe. I recognized many of the skiers in that photo by their clothes. Think incognito.
Well that was taken a long, long time ago.... all the way back in April 2019.... it feels like a decade ago.... :ogbiggrin:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The High Peaks double was so small that the safety bar would crack your head every time you rode it, but it served the gnarliest legal glade on Gore Mountain, as well as one of the few notable lift served drops in the East (which was not legal).

Its replacement is an abomination. They extended it far enough to convert the best quiet meeting spot on the mountain to a busy groomer, and worse, they clear cut and regraded the Darkside glade. It's still under construction as of December 19. Before the destruction construction, there was a sign under it that read: Betty loved this trail. If they put that sign back, I'm gonna use it for target practice.

dm

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
A different take on a double chair from the 1950's that is still in use on Vitosha Mountain just outside Sofia, Bulgaria.
Vitosha Chair.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There is a 'bucket lift' at Alagna, IT. You get in it from a platform on top of a building while it is moving. It holds two people and you feel like a gladiator in a chariot. My brother loaded first and the chariot swung forward as I started to load; I almost missed it. On top of that, the platform ends abruptly many meters above the ground. Sorry, no pics. Does anyone know of this lift?

Another lift at Alagna is a two stage tram. Your ride the lower section up to a midway, change trams and continue. They run off the same drive cable so the midway station is exactly in the middle. They stop running the lift at lunch for an hour.

Cervinia 96 a Midstation on Tram.jpg

The mid-station bull wheels.

There is/was a T-Bar at La Grave that would start up along a cliff beside (on) a glacier. The 'towers' were attached to the cliff. It made a turn to the left and you got off the lift farther on up. Then you skied down to the middle of the glacier and picked up the same lift. This 'station' was suspended from towers and weighted to bring it down to the glacier. It was running approximately perpendicular to the first part you already rode and continued up to the top.

245 t-bar bullwheels.jpg

This is a picture near the left turn on the first part and the first part return line going off perpendicular and (of course) back to this elaborate set of bull wheels and eventually back to where you initially loaded.

Sponsor

Staff online