• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
C7F53E5B-86B0-4757-8869-C826C523886B.jpeg

Rope tow power at Northeast Slopes

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
And we have double-seаter at the same age :geek:

View attachment 89478

I love the old center pole Riblets. We used to have on at Stowe, the Little Spruce Double (or LSD). If you were really old, you called it "the electric lift" because it was the first electric lift in Stowe. This one looks nice in red.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I remember the electric chair. I sometimes parked my 58 Biscayne right next to it. My buddy had a cabin with no indoor plumbing in Waterburt Center. I thnk there are luxury condos there now. The diesel chair may have been the coldest place I've ever been in my life.

Stowe was way better back then,. The best part was I was young.

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I just re-read my own post. I'm in the more-money-then-time period of my life, so I should be able to enjoy all the development at Stowe and elsewhere. Still, I'm so cranky I just want everything to go back to the way it was when I was 22 years old. I want an unreliable car with roll up windows and a carbureter, and I want to park it next to a fixed grip double without a safety bar. It's sad, or maybe it's just 2020.

A better and happier New Year to all.

dm

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow Lake Lodge... I think. we used to stay there and it was very cool.

I used to ride the ultra-slow chairlift that stayed close to the ground and made a clanking sound. And the gondola was fun. Back in the day. I skied Mt Snow in the 50s. Mt Snow had an out door heated pool at the bottom of the hill, and a skating rink inside.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Only picture I had handy.. but does this count? It's the old Silver Star double chair that got installed at Skiland in Fairbanks Alaska.. I can't find the info but I think the lift was new back in either the 50's or 60's at Silver Star and was installed at Skiland sometime in the 90's. She's still functioning and has been more reliable recently than it used to.

20201228_120537.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The short lived 'Jigback Tram' that went up the Headwall at Squaw for a short time:

eb4a4ac511c92ebd63a2acb54ae103e5.jpg
How did you board that thing? Are the chairs all spread out in the station and cluster like that as it goes up, or what?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Did the Jigback tram reverse back down? Was it just two flights of chairs opposing each other?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did the Jigback tram reverse back down? Was it just two flights of chairs opposing each other?
Oh right... a tram ... I was thinking of it as a regular lift and how it could load. If it was like a tram, then that makes sense.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I snapped this pic 1985/86 ski season, SkiWelt it is called now in Austria, this is the main lift out off Soll. I ski bummed here for that season, always loved this mountain house, I'm sure it has a story would love to hear it if anyone knows. I bet it is still there, but from what I find on the internet the single chair lift has been replaced with a quad..
soll lift 1986 season.JPG

2019 ski map...
Austria - SkiWelt Map 2019.JPG

Ski map I have from 1985...
skiWelt1985.JPG

My skipass back in the day....
Photo_2020-11-29_134910 (4).jpg

Sponsor

Staff online