• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Copenhagen Jazz Fest, Tooling Around On Bikes

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We just returned from 5 days in Copenhagen where we spent most of our time just tooling around the city on rental bikes and going to see jazz bands in small clubs and some outdoor venues.

Copenhagen is a great city for getting around by bike and nothing is more than a few miles ride away and everything is quite flat.

This made the heavy, smallish wheeled, 3 speed Donkey Republic rental bikes acceptable, though it would have been nice to rent some better bikes and we would have if we planned to ride out of town.

The Donkey Republic bikes work with a bluetooth app and we joined a monthly plan that gave us 12 hours of bike rentals per day for an entire month for 20 Euros. You use the app to locate available bikes and to lock and unlock them. The locks just lock the back wheel. Most bikes we saw had a wheel lock system. Hardly any cable locks and many bikes not locked at all.

It was pretty cool to be at a club that was full of people with empty parking spots on the street and a whole mess of bikes parked outside.

Also, the drivers there know how to look for bikes and are very polite and respectful, always giving riders the right of way. We did not wear helmets or biking clothes, though on our last day I wore some cycling shorts underneath my regular shorts... was getting a bit sore back there.

Robin by Nyhavn, the touristy area with a bunch of cafes by a canl with old boats and lots of Tuborg and Carlsberg drinking.
Robin Ny Havn.jpg

Rosenberg Castle

Rosenberg Castle.jpg

Frederiksberg
Frederiksberg.jpg

Donkey Republic bikes

bikes.jpg

Bikes were all named and most had these phone holders which made navigation much easier. In addition to Tinker here we had Oreo, Brod, Hyldemorte, Pearl, Allike and maybe even a few more. Sometimes we would return them if not using for a few hours but mostly we would just keep for the day and lock when not using. You have to return at a Donkey Republic return location which the app will guide you to and is never far from where you may be. You can usually tell by where you see other orange bikes. At times the app was a bit frustrating but mostly worked just fine.
Tinker.jpg

The bikes are heavy and not terribly efficient, however for just tooling around a few miles at a shot they were fine and super cost effective. Our hotel had bike rentals for about $40 per day that were not much better. This cost us $22. each for 5 full days of bike rentals.

I rented an electric scooter for a few hours, also easy to do with an app on my phone, and it was fun and got around at a good clip but if you had to go over cobblestones it was no longer a fun experience.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the report @Crank . Just seeing this. Nice trip!
Hope to post a bike trip report on PugSki soon myself.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did you rent an electric GoBoat?

Yes we did rent a GoBoat. Grabbed some wine and sausage and cheese and crackers and floated around for an hour or so.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes we did rent a GoBoat. Grabbed some wine and sausage and cheese and crackers and floated around for an hour or so.
How crazy are those things? Powered bathtubs. Most directionally challenged boat I’ve ever been in. Still fun. If I did it over with a few people I would book one of those very small tour boats.

I was told they used to have you go into the boat dock area instead of out towards the Opera House with the GoBoats but people both hit docked boats and false claims were filed by owners looking for money.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure how I missed this thread. Looks like a cool experience!

Sponsor

Staff online