• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Costco and Sam's Club, how I love thee....

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have several items including base layers and undies. Good stuff. I got the base layer pants because they were super cheap and I wanted to cut the legs to make them short enough to keep out of my boots without scrunching them up. That was three seasons ago and they still haven't unraveled.
Wow, I thought I was the only person that cut the bottom of my base layer pants to keep them out of my boots. I use to do that all the time, for me it started back in the 1970's. But now I don't do it as much because the base layer material is so thin. The 32* stuff is especially thin. I have two of their base layer tops.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Wow, I thought I was the only person that cut the bottom of my base layer pants to keep them out of my boots. I use to do that all the time, for me it started back in the 1970's. But now I don't do it as much because the base layer material is so thin. The 32* stuff is especially thin. I have two of their base layer tops.

I have a super thin merino wool base layer that goes inside the boot. I also wear a polypropylene mid layer but instead of cutting the lower pant leg off, I just pull the leg up so it clears the boot top and then I just fold the extra material over at my knee. A little extra padding and insulation at the knee is not a bad thing.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a super thin merino wool base layer that goes inside the boot. I also wear a polypropylene mid layer but instead of cutting the lower pant leg off, I just pull the leg up so it clears the boot top and then I just fold the extra material over at my knee. A little extra padding and insulation at the knee is not a bad thing.
You ski where it's quite a bit colder than Tahoe. Between socks and pants, that extra layer in the boots is too warm for me.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Question on Costco Bacon, I purchased the 5 one lbs packs grouping recently. I like my bacon sliced thin and am not a fan of thick sliced bacon. The packages in this multi pack were not labeled thick cut but the bacon inside was thick and it was also not labeled low salt but it seemed like very low salt. Has any other member tried the Costco bacon and what was it like?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our Sam's now has "Scan and Go". scan the items in your cart on your phone, pay, avoid the check out lines and leave the store. Worth the cost of membership right there.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Question on Costco Bacon, I purchased the 5 one lbs packs grouping recently. I like my bacon sliced thin and am not a fan of thick sliced bacon. The packages in this multi pack were not labeled thick cut but the bacon inside was thick and it was also not labeled low salt but it seemed like very low salt. Has any other member tried the Costco bacon and what was it like?
They usually have several options. I've done the thick cut but it A) takes more time, B) makes a bigger mess, and C) is harder to get just right. I usually get the thinner cut because we only have it when camping and there are no calories.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was surprised to find farm raised King Salmon at Costco. Usually I get the farmed raised Steelhead.
Wild King has been prohibitively expensive, so was very excited when the King is just $1 more per pound.

My usual homemade teriyaki, started on the grill and finished in the oven (due to having to run an errand).
The flesh was very soft (buttery) and smell a little fishier than wild, but not off putting. Kinda reminds me of when farmed Steelhead was introduced. It took salt way easier than the Steelhead.

An totally looking forward to find tuning this recipe.

IMG_20210206_190936_478.jpg

IMG_20210206_191418_381.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In B.C. they farm Atlantic salmon, apparently because it is faster growing than native pacific species. I have found farmed Atlantic salmon to be inferior to Pacific Sockeye in every way: taste. texture, colour, flavour.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've also always avoid atlantic salmon (a char). For me, the pacific salmons are much preferred, with the king the best. I love sockeye smoked (in pate), but can't seem to like it prepped as tonight. Also haven't found a use for the two remaining Pacific's: pink and chum. So, that made Steelhead (trout) the easy win for almost two decades.

Really have high hopes for better farming/handling of the farm raised King. Really hoping there's enough demand for this to happen.

Sponsor