• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Costco Spy Optic Underpin Snow Goggle?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I buy cheap goggles, often from Costco. Why? Because I treat my goggles rough. I don't trust myself to protect expensive goggles from scratches. I just replace the cheap ones when they are too scratched to see through.

What's a "good" goggle? One whose lens color you like, and that fits snugly under your helmet. A flat lens that's curved side to side will scratch less easily than one that is spherical. The spherical ones roll onto their lenses on the table. I don't buy the spherical ones.

People who carefully put their goggles away in velour bags always, ALWAYS, and never set them down on a table, are the ones who will be able to protect their investment in expensive goggles. IMO.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I buy cheap Costco goggles and when I put them away I leave them hooked onto the helmet, put them inside the helmet still hooked through the strap holder, and then into the top of my backpack. They don't scratch. I used to buy a pair or two every season before I did this and now I've used my last pair of goggles for about three seasons. I have another brand new pair still waiting for the old ones to die. I don't have problems with them fogging up, ever.

That being said, I don't have any that look like the ones the OP highlighted so I can't comment on their quality.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I obtain really expensive goggles for skiing. I bought some Costco goggles for visitors, in case something happens, and for non-skiing goggle use (putting on chains, etc).

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I use the Costco Spy brand goggles. They are ok and hold up well. Have not had any fogging issues. The only thing I don't like is the lack of different colors or clear lenses.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw those yesterday, almost bought a pair, was wondering if I should start a thread here asking about thiem.

I also buy cheap goggles because I scratch them or lose them. Last several pairs have been purchased at a TJ Max or a Marshalls. Can;t find any this year but I sitll have some that are only a little bit scratched up.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I bought the Costco ones this season. They are doing good so far. The two lenses that come in the package are single lenses, but have not fogged up at all so far.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't see the Underpin goggles on the Spy Optics web site. It may be a label just for Costco. I also don't see the lenses listed as having the Happy lens technology. That really brings up the contrast. I'd pay more for new-tech lenses that work better for me. That's me. You're you.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I buy cheap goggles, often from Costco. Why? Because I treat my goggles rough. I don't trust myself to protect expensive goggles from scratches. I just replace the cheap ones when they are too scratched to see through.

What's a "good" goggle? One whose lens color you like, and that fits snugly under your helmet. A flat lens that's curved side to side will scratch less easily than one that is spherical. The spherical ones roll onto their lenses on the table. I don't buy the spherical ones.

People who carefully put their goggles away in velour bags always, ALWAYS, and never set them down on a table, are the ones who will be able to protect their investment in expensive goggles. IMO.
Look into Outdoormasters goggles. Different lenses on magnetic attachment. And don’t break the bank.

Spy helmets from Costco are great too

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought for $29 and use for snowblower, chains and guests. Excellent value. They don't fit with my helmet (Smith Vantage) all that well.

Jim L

Putting on skis
Skier
I got the SPY Underpin goggles at Costco in late 2020. They're holding up very well and no issues with fogging.

Sponsor

Staff online