• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Could we have a new player in the ski boot world ... Kästle?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sure looks like blue WCR.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
They look sort of like Langes to my eye, but I think there's not as much of a downward flair on the ends of the buckles. And I don't think Langes have that upward sloping diagonal ridge you point out on the toe. Also, Lange (Rossi) is the company that didn't want to sponsor Leinsberger if she was on Kästle skis, so it would be really weird if they turned around and let Kästle pretend their boots were Kästles.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Definitely looks like a race boot ;)

My first reaction- they could be using an older, unused mold from a different brand (and not Atomic), but have modified it to have their own unique look. This would be significantly cheaper (200-300,000€) rather than doing their own boot from scratch (around 1 million €). It's hard launching a brand new anything during a pandemic when global sales are tanking, when raw materials are way more expensive, factories are closed, shipping containers are 10x more expensive, etc. But, with their new owners, it could be possible that it is a completely new boot. I guess we will know more shortly.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's hard launching a brand new anything during a pandemic when global sales are tanking, when raw materials are way more expensive, factories are closed, shipping containers are 10x more expensive, etc.
I think they are still in the R&D phase and the boot is still 2 years out, not for the coming season but the next...other than maybe some seed products out in the field. I had an old boss who's philosophy was to expand in the tough times while everyone else was pulling back. He was pretty darn successful.

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like a large volume lower, high instep, with a low volume cuff. But maybe it’s just the photo. The pivot point also looks high and aft.

CB94DE58-8C6C-4A6F-8461-4AF4EC4477EB.jpeg

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
apologies if I missed the post but there's a different black Kastle boot in that picture behind the Nordica. the lettering is diagonal.

I would love to have cuffs that fit like that! :).

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks Swede.! While I knew a lot of the British team athletes in the 70s and 80s I must admit I haven't really followed them in recent years

She hasn’t made a lot of noise outside the British community, just outside top 30. So not exactly a familiar face or name unless you really follow the WC.

PCSB

Booting up
Skier
Overall, it looks like an almost direct knockoff of the HEAD WCR boot. The short cutout in the middle of sole shank, the heel cup angle and taper to the somewhat sharknose toe box. There are few plastic injection companies in Italy that could easily knock off a WC boot in a short period of time and all you have to do is some superficial mold changes to keep it from being an exact copy. Dig below the brand names and your find that there many companies in Montebelluna and Asolo that produce the products you only recognize by their brand name and not their OEM.

SkiCoach101

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looks like a large volume lower, high instep, with a low volume cuff. But maybe it’s just the photo. The pivot point also looks high and aft.

View attachment 140688

It’s just the angle that the photo was taken from, and that it’s with a wide angle lense. Whilst it is a small shell (23.5) it’s actually got a standard cuff and lower compared to other boots on the market.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks Swede.! While I knew a lot of the British team athletes in the 70s and 80s I must admit I haven't really followed them in recent years

AFIK she is a Dynastar-Lange skier.

James

Out There
Instructor
I guess I just don’t see the point in 2021 of coming out with yet another line of injected molded overlap boots. At some point soonish, someone is going to come out with something cnc’d, or 3d printed in some part of the process, and alter the stranglehold of a small part of Northern Italy.
Seems like for all the production costs of making molds for a boot lineup, one could do something else. Whether this is three years away or ten, or maybe it just won’t happen, don’t know. But another standard molded overlap boot in a different color is a big yawn. I’d be much more interested in a performance rear entry.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d be much more interested in a performance rear entry.

What advantages does a rear entry boot have for racing? Where I'm from, rear entry boots were low performance boots?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What advantages does a rear entry boot have for racing? Where I'm from, rear entry boots were low performance boots?
This guy was in RE boots in the 90's and was far from a low performer.
Skier of the Week: Scot Schmidt - Fat Cantab

What @James is saying is the industry needs some options for high performing rear entry boots, like the Salomon SX-92/3 more than another 4 buckle overlap race boot.

But Kastle is looking to become a full line company and looks like they are starting with their tried and true method of starting and the top end and working their way down market.

Attachments

• 1630434181162.jpeg
    1630434181162.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 16

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
This guy was in RE boots in the 90's and was far from a low performer.
View attachment 141191
Who is that? I don't recall ever seeing rear entry boots as performing well in the racing world. Were there any to speak of?

What @James is saying is the industry needs some options for high performing rear entry boots, like the Salomon SX-92/3 more than another 4 buckle overlap race boot.
My question still remains, what is it about a RE boot that makes it worth innovating upon? I liken it to Mazda and the rotary engine, cool technology, that is barely better than a HS science fair exhibit. Mazda squandered (IMO) money on that failed experiment rather than kill it and move on. As a fellow Miata aficionado, @Philpug can understand that comparison. :)