• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Could we have a new player in the ski boot world ... Kästle?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A stress on a running shoe's design is very different than a ski boots. Yes, we have seen a trend to more generous toe boxes. I am in the K2 Recon 140 Pro, so I am well aware but thet generous space is up and down, the lateral volumes too needs to be snug to the foot.
- sure a snug lateral volume is important however, "properly designed", there is no reason it has to constrict (squeeze) the toes. Generous space up and down (vertically) is what is referred to as toe box height which is independent of the lateral space.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Why would Kastle spend money on developing a boot? Not clear. On the other hand, Head has a successful experiment with Raptors.
The simple answer is to make money, but you're right a lot of folks are scratching their heads.

There was flak when Liensberger had to signed a Kastle skis contract but was not able to find a boot company in the Austrian equipment pool willing to supply her only with boots, she eventually went to Lange boots, but that would probably annoy a zillionaire ski company owner.

The owner seems to be very serious about making Kastle a player but ...previous attempts at ski co's getting into boots have involved suppliers with large, established dealer networks - you can then barge your way in with a you want the skis, take some boots. Kastle is not that far up the food sales chain yet. You might have a chance if you do something amazing, but there is only so much shelf space - I buy Kastle, who gets dumped ? Does that have an effect on a relationship with the company if I also buy other hardgoods from them?

Generally market entry has also relied on a partner:
  • Head bought San Marco and took some time to hit raptor heights when they worked alone
  • Rossi had Caber and Trappeur but only really clicked with their top end was Lange-ified
  • Atomic - Koflach
  • Salomon - sure you can debate quality of early Salomon rear entry boots [and it was a long time ago]. I suspect big top end sales then a decline and rise again, I'd have to drill down to check that tho. They also bought San Giorgio and used their designs.
  • K2 - let's park full tilt [though again someone else's design], K2 has had mixed reviews on the boots [not lighting a fire there I hope]
So on the one hand you have a very well funded company on a mission but there's a lot of history that tells us that without something exceptional and a lot of dealers already doing business with you it's a hard climb.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Late to the party on this one, but here is what we know, they claim it is not from any other boot brand and is being made in an Italian factory (my best guess is Roxa) why are they doing it? ... Because they can! the new owners of kastle seem to have very deep pockets. the boot is working well in GS but as yet needs some modifications to get the set up right for SL on a steeper icy pitch, i have thoughts on why this is the case as i am sure have a few other boot guys but here is not the place to share them

as for the really high volume shell and tiny cuff look, that is purely a camera angle, if anything it is the opposite, the cuff is really high volume (lange esq.)

kastle are remaining very tight lipped on this, we had several members of their team join a facebook boot fitters group and when asked about the boot they all scurried under there desks, then one stated there would be a statement the following day about the boot... the statement came " we cant say anything more at this stage" sop time will tell.... what i do know for sure is testing has been going pretty well but there is this discipline variance, they hope to have a 130 and 150 clex available for teams to test before the end of the year but anything commercial in race won't be out till 22/23 at the earliest but much more likely a ear later

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
to add to the why are they doing it... other than because they can, i believe it also stems form a WC athlete not being able to get a boot sponsor a couple of seasons back due to being on kastle skis so they couldn't compete,

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
to add to the why are they doing it... other than because they can, i believe it also stems form a WC athlete not being able to get a boot sponsor a couple of seasons back due to being on kastle skis so they couldn't compete,
Aye my money was Roxa too and why, well a combination of super deep pockets and Liensberger. Like you I am not getting much beyond 'we're doing it' and the statement above in this thread. I've no doubt it will be decent but will it be worth the investment.... hmmmm. Lot of good stuff in that space.

It would make more sense to buy up a competitor and take them out of the market - Alpina for example so you have a bit of a sales leg up and if this was slipped in above the existing collection you have a line with more entry models. Simply launching with a 130 and 150 would be extraordinarily brave.

Not far from you this evening, off to deliver a CPD 'thing' at a well known slope in Derbyshire tomorrow [sat].

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, images are showing up...
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 3.08.07 PM.png

That liner looks legit.

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 3.23.08 PM.png

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You might have a chance if you do something amazing, but there is only so much shelf space - I buy Kastle, who gets dumped ?
Any bootfitter that has makes buying decisions wants the best product on the wall for their customers especially if it fits a need that cannot be filled from another brand/model. Other brands might lose a model here or there to make space but that is some of the ebb and flow of any boot buy.
Does that have an effect on a relationship with the company if I also buy other hardgoods from them?
Not if but how much?

I really looks like Kastle is doing their homework and that Performance+ liner looks really good from the pics.

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
Is Kastle making these? or are they contracting with another brand for manufacturing?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
And.......

I have not seen a Kastle boot nor do I even see one available to purchase on the interweb. Did they officially give up on this initiative? Or will we not see it at all until Labor Day for 2022/2023 season.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve seen the boot. It’s pretty light. It also has low profile buckles with some little weird lever to get it undone.

My mind was so blown by the boots I immediately ordered a pair. Not, but I suspect some stores that never had Kastle will take them on. It may actually be a play to get more skis out there.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
And.......

I have not seen a Kastle boot nor do I even see one available to purchase on the interweb. Did they officially give up on this initiative? Or will we not see it at all until Labor Day for 2022/2023 season.
It’s out there, for sale next season, we have handled it and wont be stocking it, its just another boot folks, nothing special and a bit on the pricey side for a brand who has never made a boot

make of it what you will

if the boot fits, then it might be for you, if not then step away from the ride

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
It’s out there, for sale next season, we have handled it and wont be stocking it, its just another boot folks, nothing special and a bit on the pricey side for a brand who has never made a boot

make of it what you will

Oh I definitely have no intention to deviate from Lange which fits my foot very well. Just curious what the deal was.

The only thing I can think why they are introducing a boot is to try and get more retail distribution for their skis. It seems like they are in for a tough slog.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
It may actually be a play to get more skis out there.
That's my guess. They need distribution to fulfill what seems to be their ambition of becoming a bigger mass brand versus small, premium boutique. And so my guess is this is a play to try and get more retail distribution.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have played with the boot, tried it on ... in 26.5 but I ski in a 25.5. The liner is exceptional, the stance of the boot is different from what, I cannot say anyone else but... most are doing with a ramp of less than 2*.

Kastle is doing with the boot what they did when they launched the ski, starting at the top of the market and will be adding lower levels as time goes on. Lastly, everyone is mum on where the boot is being produced, all I have gotten so far is "Italy".

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure. The question this invites is, "Are they trying to fill a niche with regard to fit profile that is currently unfilled?" Same question with regard to performance. (Phil's comment about stance potentially speaks to both, I guess.) Note that size runs are part of the fit profile, right? For example, if they offer a 24 or even a 23 in a men's boot, that could be a niche too. Just curious.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking at the pictures of the Race - does it come with replaceable lifts already attached? That could be a nice feature.

Sponsor

Staff online