• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cover Me: Best cover songs, some better than the original?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
not sure if it’s better than the original but pretty good…

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
I meant to post this on Easter Sunday. I have always loved Leonard Cohen starting with Suzanne.
The reason that this cover of Hallelujah is better than Cohen's original is because of the beauty of the voices but also the change of the lyrics by Kelley Mooney which she actually sought and and was given approval for by the Cohen estate:

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Impressive. Friend of mine is a professor of music; he says covering Joni might be one of the hardest vocal takes for anyone. Very idiosyncratic melodies and chord changes along with a completely unique vocal technique. There's a reason Joni is one of the least-covered modern songsmiths ever.

Wonky

Booting up
Skier
Back in the early '90's there was a Joni tribute CD done by some Canadian indie rock/folk artists. Somewhere I have it buried in my CD collection:

Sloan doing A Case of You still holds up pretty well (well may not music prof. well ogsmile )

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I meant to post this on Easter Sunday. I have always loved Leonard Cohen starting with Suzanne.
The reason that this cover of Hallelujah is better than Cohen's original is because of the beauty of the voices but also the change of the lyrics by Kelley Mooney which she actually sought and and was given approval for by the Cohen estate:

Halleluka is a pretty great parody version of this song that might appeal to NBA fans, except perhaps those from Sacramento :).

Last edited:

Sponsor