• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cover Me: Best cover songs, some better than the original?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Two great instrumentals and Sleep Walk is my all time favorite (I have it on Vinyl their entire album). Beck did a good job on Apache but it was hard to match the sound of the Steel Guitar of Santo and Johnny. Still very enjoyable thanks for sharing. Did anyone notice the metal upper bridge on Becks Fender Stratocaster, it looks like a custom modification? I wonder what that is all about?

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two great instrumentals and Sleep Walk is my all time favorite (I have it on Vinyl their entire album). Beck did a good job on Apache but it was hard to match the sound of the Steel Guitar of Santo and Johnny. Still very enjoyable thanks for sharing. Did anyone notice the metal upper bridge on Becks Fender Stratocaster, it looks like a custom modification? I wonder what that is all about?
What you noticed on Jeff Beck's guitar was a Trev Wilkinson LSR Roller nut which is designed to reduce friction between the strings and nut. Guitar nuts are designed to properly space the strings and keep them at the correct height over the fingerboard. They're usually made of plastic but some vintage or highline guitars' nuts can also made from bone or fossil ivory. The friction at the nut is why musicians generally learn to "tune up" or increase pitch as they bring each string into tune.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What you noticed on Jeff Beck's guitar was a Trev Wilkinson LSR Roller nut which is designed to reduce friction between the strings and nut. Guitar nuts are designed to properly space the strings and keep them at the correct height over the fingerboard. They're usually made of plastic but some vintage or highline guitars' nuts can also made from bone or fossil ivory. The friction at the nut is why musicians generally learn to "tune up" or increase pitch as they bring each string into tune.
Thanks for the update, learn something new everyday.:)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@neonorchid beat you to it^ but probably my favorite :ogbiggrin:
When the Summertime cover posts started I had to look up who wrote it. I was surprised to see George Gershwin as I always thought Janis' was the original. :huh: I think it is still my fav, but I did like the Ella version with Satchmo, which I didn't realize was him until he started singing.

Sponsor

Staff online