• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cowboys!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Both teams had 11 penalties but the 4 PI's cost Dallas the game ... and Prescott's McNabb type thow at his receiver's feet. But to quote Joe Cooper "It took all of us working together to lose this one as a team".
It's not just the total penalties...it's when and where, right? Sometimes..you have to take them and you deserve to lose anyway. Cuz if you can't cover without the PI, well, it's probably not going well anyway!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Both teams had 11 penalties but the 4 PI's cost Dallas the game ... and Prescott's McNabb type thow at his receiver's feet. But to quote Joe Cooper "It took all of us working together to lose this one as a team".
I always respected McNabb and he refused to throw picks even if his passes were often low. The Cowboys were barely watchable during his peak, so I watched a lot of Eagles games with my son. Andy Reid lost that Super Bowl, not McNabb. Who gives a s*** if he pucked, he threw a touchdown pass right after! .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy Reid lost that Super Bowl, not McNabb.
I agree there. Andy Andy didn't coach in the playoffs the way he coached to get him to the playoffs, he got away from what made him successful. I am glad he learned from that when he got to the Chiefs. Now, why doesn't Doug Pedersen have job?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dallas has been killing themselves with penalties all year, but usually their offense is good enough to overcome it. Their defense is just not that good, but when they run the ball and control the clock they keep their D off the field and the opponent D gets worn out late in the games. Not sure what happened to their offense the last few games.

Injuries affect every team and are part of the game, but I am curious to see what their defense looks like when they get Gregory back and Demarcus Lawrence, who was their best pass rusher, should return around the same time. Add in Cooper and Lamb and i think (hope) they'll be back on track.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dallas has been killing themselves with penalties all year, but usually their offense is good enough to overcome it. Their defense is just not that good, but when they run the ball and control the clock they keep their D off the field and the opponent D gets worn out late in the games. Not sure what happened to their offense the last few games.

Injuries affect every team and are part of the game, but I am curious to see what their defense looks like when they get Gregory back and Demarcus Lawrence, who was their best pass rusher, should return around the same time. Add in Cooper and Lamb and i think (hope) they'll be back on track.
If those four are healthy, they are a different team. But Prescott has got to get back to the sharpness of pre-injury.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s tough for me to watch Dallas play, same with the Browns. Great roster, poor discipline and execution which lands on the shoulders of the Head Coach. Problem is with Jones running the team the Boys only get 2 types of coaches, the new guy desperate for a shot or what they have now, the guy on his last job desperate for his last shot.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s tough for me to watch Dallas play, same with the Browns. Great roster, poor discipline and execution which lands on the shoulders of the Head Coach. Problem is with Jones running the team the Boys only get 2 types of coaches, the new guy desperate for a shot or what they have now, the guy on his last job desperate for his last shot.
My younger brother bailed on the Cowboys years ago after Jerry Jones showed his true colors. I consider it the price of admission for all of professional sports. They're all human, some just more so.

Sometimes it works out. See Barry Switzer.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There aren't many things that bring me much more joy than watching the Cowboys lose, but the officials made their last game pretty much unwatchable from a football fan stand point and I'd say there were a handful of calls that swung that game and all were against Dallas.

I know what the final numbers say in terms of penalties and yards, but they aren't all created equal in terms of impact.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My younger brother bailed on the Cowboys years ago after Jerry Jones showed his true colors. I consider it the price of admission for all of professional sports. They're all human, some just more so.

Sometimes it works out. See Barry Switzer.
Barry won with the team Jimmy Johnson built. Minus Jones’ ego, the Boys probably win 5 or 6 SBs in that era if Johnson stays.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Bill Parcells?

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Minus Jones’ ego, the Boys probably win 5 or 6 SBs in that era if Johnson stays.
Not disagreeing with you, but Johnson's ego was a problem as well. I put more blame on Jerry for that divorce, but Johnson was a jerk to his boss, and he wanted to go to Miami anyway and fish.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not disagreeing with you, but Johnson's ego was a problem as well. I put more blame on Jerry for that divorce, but Johnson was a jerk to his boss, and he wanted to go to Miami anyway and fish.
Most successful people in sports have big egos, it goes with the territory. Not many have won NCAA championships and Super Bowls. Johnson took the Boys from 1-11 to the brink of a dynasty. Other than the Super Bowl that Switzer won with his players, Dallas hasn’t done squat since Johnson left. I think everyone involved in football knows who brought Dallas their successes during those years or who has hindered that success ever since.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most successful people in sports have big egos, it goes with the territory. Not many have won NCAA championships and Super Bowls. Johnson took the Boys from 1-11 to the brink of a dynasty. Other than the Super Bowl that Switzer won with his players, Dallas hasn’t done squat since Johnson left. I think everyone involved in football knows who brought Dallas their successes during those years or who has hindered that success ever since.
Jerrah may be an a**, but you're not giving him any credit for assembling the 90's dynasty when clearly he has always been intimately involved in every aspect of his team. Even when later it was to his detriment.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Other than the Super Bowl that Switzer won with his players, Dallas hasn’t done squat since Johnson left.
That is a 15 year span, they have gone to the payoffs 10 of those years. Not sure I would put that in the "hasn’t done squat" category.

CB playoffs.JPG

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Winning in the NFL is not easy, even if you are really good. Jerry has his positives and negatives, like we all do. You want the positives to outweigh the negatives.

Jerry as an owner is great, can't ask for a better owner. He is a leader of the NFL, has shaped the the NFL, he is not in the hall of fame for nothing. He provides top facilities for the players and fans, you know he pays the cheerleaders $75K a year? Before Jerry it was Bum Phillips and man was he boring as snot, terrible owner.

Jerry as a GM, ok here you can criticize...

Lets look at the positives. He is great at managing the cap. He is great at recruiting. He is great at day to day operations. And, he is getting better at his negatives..

Now his negatives, I put these it 2 categories: 1) Talent draft expert and 2) Coaching Space. On #1, he has got past this. He used to think he was talent expert, he now knows he is not, he has Will Mcclay leading this space and doing an great job, for years now.... On #2, this is Jerry's main problem. He has always wanted to lead the team, and that is not his job, that is the coaches job. Him trying to be the leader of the team undermines the coach's authority. He has gotten a lot better over the years, and you can thank is son Stephen for that. You do not see him on the side line any more talking to players or the coach...

If he can just step aside, and let the coach lead the team, I think he would be great. I think he is doing that last couple years.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Barry Corbin did a great little spiel on cowboys in this week's episode of Yellowstone.

Oh, football cowboys. N/M! ;)

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is a 15 year span, they have gone to the payoffs 10 of those years. Not sure I would put that in the "hasn’t done squat" category.

View attachment 150211
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Based on Cowboy previous standards, finishing near the top of a poor division, and routinely losing in the 1st playoff round is pretty much not doing squat from my perspective.

Now if you’re a Jets or Browns fan-yes the Cowboys have been wildly successful!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Winning in the NFL is not easy, even if you are really good. Jerry has his positives and negatives, like we all do. You want the positives to outweigh the negatives.

Jerry as an owner is great, can't ask for a better owner. He is a leader of the NFL, has shaped the the NFL, he is not in the hall of fame for nothing. He provides top facilities for the players and fans, you know he pays the cheerleaders $75K a year? Before Jerry it was Bum Phillips and man was he boring as snot, terrible owner.

Jerry as a GM, ok here you can criticize...

Lets look at the positives. He is great at managing the cap. He is great at recruiting. He is great at day to day operations. And, he is getting better at his negatives..

Now his negatives, I put these it 2 categories: 1) Talent draft expert and 2) Coaching Space. On #1, he has got past this. He used to think he was talent expert, he now knows he is not, he has Will Mcclay leading this space and doing an great job, for years now.... On #2, this is Jerry's main problem. He has always wanted to lead the team, and that is not his job, that is the coaches job. Him trying to be the leader of the team undermines the coach's authority. He has gotten a lot better over the years, and you can thank is son Stephen for that. You do not see him on the side line any more talking to players or the coach...

If he can just step aside, and let the coach lead the team, I think he would be great. I think he is doing that last couple years.
I agree that Jones has good intentions. He needs to deal with the league and other owners where he does well and leave the football stuff to the football people. If he could do that he’d attract a better coach, etc. i don’t see that happening.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pardon the interruption in this Cowboys thread...:duck:

Washington (6-6) hosts the Dallas Cowboys (8-4) next week at FedEx Field on 12/12/21. The WFT has risen from the ashes this year on the shoulders of our scrappy little QB Taylor Heinicke. The rest of the season could be pretty interesting for a change in the NFC East?
taylor-heinicke-wft-win-featured.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online