• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cowboys!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The errors and lack of discipline were hard to watch..
This lies with the Head Coach and McCarthy is a lousy Head Coach. He got ran out of Green Bay amid reports that he didn’t even attend the offensive meetings. You can’t be uninvolved and be detail oriented by definition.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This lies with the Head Coach and McCarthy is a lousy Head Coach. He got ran out of Green Bay amid reports that he didn’t even attend the offensive meetings. You can’t be uninvolved and be detail oriented by definition.
Can you imagine those mistakes on a Belichek team?? Never happen.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The cowboys lead the league in penalties this season, and the 49ers they had 14, half of them presnap. The 14 penalties also most in franchise history. I don't like McCarthy. Not impressed with hard knock beginning of season, too much joking around. I had zero confidence in this team start of season. But they started playing well, so gave McCarthy a chance. I would rather see Dan Quinn promoted to HC, especially if he gets an offer from another team which is very likely.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The cowboys lead the league in penalties this season, and the 49ers they had 14, half of them presnap. The 14 penalties also most in franchise history. I don't like McCarthy. Not impressed with hard knock beginning of season, too much joking around. I had zero confidence in this team start of season. But they started playing well, so gave McCarthy a chance. I would rather see Dan Quinn promoted to HC, especially if he gets an offer from another team which is very likely.
They have great players..they just need some adult supervision... :)

Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, I think the Cowboys are a better team, but they are undisciplined which I will lay at the feet of Jerrah.
Discipline is is the HC's resposibility. Jerry did his part and had this team stacked with talant. I think the cowboys had the better roster going into the game, but the better team did win, because of coaching.

I did watch the highlights, amazing they could have won on that last drive, so close, just bad exicution. The call to throw the ball into the sun was not smart. But if they scored a TD on that last drive, which a top QB would have done, we would be having a much different conversation.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
McCarthy has his faults but one could do a lot worse at the HC position than him.

Reactions: Tex

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The hits just keep on coming. Anybody else get tagged with this one yet??

1642542952636.png

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I was hunting and camping, was able to watch some on my iphone. Pretty disappointed, I want to watch the recording but I think it would be torture.
Last minute of game time was a fitting end to it. Failure to spike ball in time to stop the clock. Summarized the level of execution. So save yourself some time and just watch that part.

The 'successful-fake-punt-into-delay-of-game-by-offense' was a serious head scratcher and one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in an NFL game. LOL.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Discipline is is the HC's resposibility. Jerry did his part and had this team stacked with talant. I think the cowboys had the better roster going into the game, but the better team did win, because of coaching.

I did watch the highlights, amazing they could have won on that last drive, so close, just bad exicution. The call to throw the ball into the sun was not smart. But if they scored a TD on that last drive, which a top QB would have done, we would be having a much different conversation.
But this has been a problem through a lot of head coaches except Jimmy Johnson, at least to my memory. The Cowboys have been a three ring circus for a long time with all the distractions and that starts with Jerry. My younger brother gave up the Cowboys after seeing him fire/drive away Tom Landy and Jimmy Johnson. He refuses to bother until Jerry is gone one way or the other. So may be he has infected me with his cynicism. My older brother lives in the San Fran area and with his son a Niners fan I'm not even sure where his loyalties lie. I give Jerry credit for his successes like building good teams and his failures. He is not all bad, but to me the discipline problem starts with him because the players know where the buck stops and it's with Jerry.

I'm extremely disappointed with Dak's post-game behavior.:nono:

spoofer

Putting on skis
Skier
But this has been a problem through a lot of head coaches except Jimmy Johnson, at least to my memory. The Cowboys have been a three ring circus for a long time with all the distractions and that starts with Jerry. My younger brother gave up the Cowboys after seeing him fire/drive away Tom Landy and Jimmy Johnson. He refuses to bother until Jerry is gone one way or the other. So may be he has infected me with his cynicism. My older brother lives in the San Fran area and with his son a Niners fan I'm not even sure where his loyalties lie. I give Jerry credit for his successes like building good teams and his failures. He is not all bad, but to me the discipline problem starts with him because the players know where the buck stops and it's with Jerry.

I'm extremely disappointed with Dak's post-game behavior.:nono:
I was surprised with his behavior too. Thought they had more class. That's the NFL in a nutshell.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm extremely disappointed with Dak's post-game behavior.
You mean his comments about the bottle throwing at the refs? Yeah that was a dumb comment, but the mentality that the "refs are after us" I think McCarthy has driven that mentality with some of his comments. Dak does not make that comment on his own. Dak F'd up on the last play, not the Ref's fault, the HC's fault, obviously no situational coaching here.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You mean his comments about the bottle throwing at the refs? Yeah that was a dumb comment, but the mentality that the "refs are after us" I think McCarthy has driven that mentality with some of his comments. Dak does not make that comment on his own. Dak F'd up on the last play, not the Ref's fault, the HC's fault, obviously no situational coaching here.
MM had his team back out on the field to line up for a meaningless PAT attempt after the infamous “Fail Mary” game in Seattle years ago with the replacement refs. If there was ever a time to go after the refs it was then and he didn’t.

For all the complaints about him he was always a pretty stand up guy and took all arrows people pointed at others for failure and pulled them on to him as the HC while in GB. Always had a lot of respect for him for that.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I said it earlier somewhere in this thread, but the Cowboys only get two types of coaches. They get the guy willing to have his last shot and last payday, and that’s McCarthy. Or they get the up-and-coming first job guy. In that regard they are very similar to Washington. They are also similar to Washington and that they have an owner who thinks he knows a lot more than he does, and there in lies the problem.

McCarthy had great talent and produced an average team. I would have fired him mid-season. Jones is struggling with this because to fire McCarthy this soon Is an admission that he made the mistake by hiring him. That’s not Jerry’s style.

Quinn or Moore would be better choices than McCarthy. Quinn obviously has the experience as a head coach, but he didn’t do a lot either with a pretty talented roster in Atlanta, beyond getting to the Super Bowl one time. Beyond that one season he was a disaster. Moore is an offensive guy which is a big plus in today’s game, but you have to wonder if being that young he would be able to provide the discipline that a NFL team needs. I’m guessing the Cowboys will do nothing different and this time next season will be scratching their heads wondering why they got the same results.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
McCarthy has his faults but one could do a lot worse at the HC position than him.
That’s true, but mostly because there are a lot of bad coaches around the league. Given his roster talent, he was awful this season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Jerry's been after Bob Stoops to coach the Cowboys for a decade now.. Bob just wanted to relax and watch his kid play college ball for awhile. I wonder if after next season when Drake graduates if Bob takes an NFL gig. I wouldn't rule that out..

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s true, but mostly because there are a lot of bad coaches around the league. Given his roster talent, he was awful this season.
They do have a good roster. I don't think they're really stronger than the 49ers, Packers, Tampa, Rams so losing where they did isn't exactly a shocker. They finished 12-5, not exactly awful. They weren't going to be undefeated, it is the NFL. I wouldn't say he was awful, though I don' follow the Cowboys on a week to week basis either. He has his faults, but he's also proven pretty good too.

Just look at GB, MLF takes over it our offense looked like disjointed garbage much of the year that first season. season 2? hard to find a better offense, same players essentially. Last year was crazy for all sorts of seasons, this was MM's first season with his starting QB after a pretty serious injury. Greatness doesn't happen overnight and Dak is not on the same level as Rodgers by any means. It takes a season or 2 for ALL of them. Then you dealth with Elliot's injuries slowing him down all year, then lose Gallup on a sensational catch right before the playoffs. I know he wasn't a world beater, but you keep those pieces moving, they affect you as a unit.

Anyway, I think some don't realize just how difficult it is to win in this league. I wouldn't call 12-5 awful with that roster, it's about right.

Sponsor

Staff online