• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crafted to Ski More: Fischer Announces Newly Designed Ranger Series

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I kind of like that they got rid of the carbon tip. I think they were more fragile than most skis. Here are pictures of my 102s. They still ski fine so I am still using them. One was a hit on a snowmaking hydrant, the other was a rock at low speed. I can’t say for sure, but I think an Enforcer or Mantra would have bounced off. I think the 2023 Rangers would do better too.
D74A4B92-634D-4E89-8D3C-65B212B5DA23.jpeg
D07CDAFD-36BA-4DD1-87BF-17F7F08B3C8A.jpeg
107A8F13-A796-460E-B3D7-81298850E3DA.jpeg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I kind of like that they got rid of the carbon tip. I think they were more fragile than most skis. Here are pictures of my 102s. They still ski fine so I am still using them. One was a hit on a snowmaking hydrant, the other was a rock at low speed. I can’t say for sure, but I think an Enforcer or Mantra would have bounced off. I think the 2023 Rangers would do better too. View attachment 158643 View attachment 158644 View attachment 158645
Its not the fall but the sudden stop that will kill you. How did your shins feel considering that your binding doesn't have straigth forward release (such an inherrent design flaw :rolleyes: ;) ) or did you Superman out?

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have seen the video and was apart of the same design process that Jeff was. Calling the skis generic is such an understatement. People chased that design and have now started to create skis that can do well as an “all mountain” ski in the 100-105 category.
I said the build was generic, no doubt the design is great. As well as quality!

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am holding you up to my wife as an example of how reasonable I am w/r/t my ski collection.

Thanks! ;)

I gotta say, owning only one pair of Fischers alpine skis but -- ahem -- several of their nordic skis, I like their stuff and love their story. Family owned to start, then again starting in 2002, yada yada yada. In this day and age of ever larger corporate monoliths, this rocks (and I'm no enemy of large cos).

Also, HOCKEY STICKS!!!
That doesn't include the Woodsman 116s I skied 3 times and gave to one of my kids........

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes the skis removed the carbon in the tip,
I’m trying to think when the last time “carbon tip” inspired me to “can’t wait to try them!”. Oh, never. More like, “great, another twitchy overly reactive ski”
From that heinous Blizzard Titan of years ago, it’s almost always been bad. The Bonafide is ok I guess, but blindfolded you’ll never think you’re on a Stockli. Speaking of which, no one ever talks about those carbon tipped Stormriders which were very cool looking.

I don’t know why, but that’s seems a very difficult material to use well.

Surprised theres not more kevlar. Shaman used it in their mogul ski, no idea how, but it had an interesting feel. Now that ski was a nightmare in anything but direct line mogul skiing, but I wished they had made an all mountain ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don’t know why, but that’s seems a very difficult material to use well.
It absolutely is and in my experience Fischer is one of the few (DPS of late) come to mind that do it well. Carbon can be used in so many ways and done wrong in many too, as you have experienced.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everything I've read about the new Fischer's sounds like they are moving a bit back towards the old "heavier is not always a bad thing" Motives.

Admittedly, I'm probably reading what I'd personally prefer.

I'll be curious to see shapes and mount points, as I'm an unreformable rear-ish mount, easy on the tail rocker, kind of guy.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
@Philpug I think they're actually from last year's line, but any chance you've heard reviews of the Ranger 90 FR? Really curious about how they perform for tweens & small adults.

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
It absolutely is and in my experience Fischer is one of the few (DPS of late) come to mind that do it well. Carbon can be used in so many ways and done wrong in many too, as you have experienced.

Personal preference but I love my Kastle FX 106HP which I believe uses carbon and it might be my all time favorite ski. Along with the 2022 Fischer Ranger 102 FR. I sold my Rangers and realized quickly it was a really bad mistake so rebought another pair and they showed up Friday.

I also really like my Stockli’s which have metal so I am not particular about what material they use. If it skis well and gives me good feedback I like it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug I think they're actually from last year's line, but any chance you've heard reviews of the Ranger 90 FR? Really curious about how they perform for tweens & small adults.
@Winks would be better .. he is a small adult and has skied it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everything I've read about the new Fischer's sounds like they are moving a bit back towards the old "heavier is not always a bad thing" Motives.

I like this direction. No carbon, no even air-carbon whatever that is and heavier, more directional are all things that I strongly approve of.

Some say that Volkl made the best possible use of carbon in the VWerks. If that really is the truth and that is the best application of carbon, I do not want to even touch the rest of the bunch.
And yeah, I also prefer bamboo fly rods...well duh...who doesn't.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like this direction. No carbon, no even air-carbon whatever that is and heavier, more directional are all things that I strongly approve of.

Some say that Volkl made the best possible use of carbon in the VWerks. If that really is the truth and that is the best application of carbon, I do not want to even touch the rest of the bunch.
And yeah, I also prefer bamboo fly rods...well duh...who doesn't.
For trout fishing yep. For steelhead and salmon I’ll take a new fangled graphite.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink you would like 193 GS race skis, its pretty much only metal edge & sandwich at tips , pair it with a 19DIN and you can crush thoose pesky undersnow object and just split them in half.
Have you met my friend @Andy Mink ????

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was able to test the new Ranger line last week. I shared many of the same concerns that many are voicing on SkiTalk regarding this design change. Turns out, I shouldn't have been concerned. The Fischer Ski Designers (Little, grumpy, Austrians) in consultation with good North American input from dealers and pro-skiers, hit this design "out of the park"! The only thing shared from the previous generation of Rangers are the waist widths and names. This new bunch of skis is more reminiscent to the old Watea lineup than any of the Rangers with the carbon tip and aeroshape. Solid, smooth, feel of a laminate ski, especially underfoot, with strong edge-hold and dampness. But, very playful and easy at the tips and tails. Make no mistake, this is no "chinese-made", or "garage brand" generic design with a wide shape, rocker and tik/tok graphics. It definitely has Austrian/Fischer DNA (Carving ability, stability, edge hold). Skied the outgoing carbon tip Ranger yesterday to get a comparison, I would pick the new design 10 times out of ten. I never did really mesh with the carbon-tip/aeroshape Rangers, however, I loved the Wateas and the Motives with the more traditional laminate construction. In the last several seasons I have been sticking to the Pro Mtn and RC One skis when skiing Fischer. I'll definitely be skiing the Rangers next season, when there is soft snow.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there any reason to size up or down with the new 102 vs previous 102 ?
The new 102 are only 1cm shorter in the lengths offered -> curious if the new materials, flex, and shape might affect the length choice.

Nomax

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For those that had the chance to ski the new 90, how would you say they compare to the Mindbender 90TI?

I’ve enjoyed demoing the MB and the Fischers seem like they would be similar.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those that had the chance to ski the new 90, how would you say they compare to the Mindbender 90TI?

I’ve enjoyed demoing the MB and the Fischers seem like they would be similar.
the Fischer is more off piste oriented.

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid