• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crafted to Ski More: Fischer Announces Newly Designed Ranger Series

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1643072766080.png
Crafted to Ski More: Fischer Announces Newly Designed Ranger Series

AUBURN, NH. (January 24, 2022) —Jack of all trades, master of more: The new All-mountain / Freeride line truly lives up to its name by offering skiers endless opportunities on the mountain.

The new Ranger series is the result of Fischer’s ongoing collaboration between athletes and product developers with the aim of making this iconic line of skis even more engaging. The slogan “Crafted to ski more” is the guiding principle.

Regardless of conditions, terrain, or skier preferences, the Ranger line generates a stronger desire to ski. Thanks to a completely new geometry, these skis are extremely versatile. They cut through crud, float in powder, and can be trusted in the steepest, harshest conditions. The collection is designed for skiers seeking strong and stable performance in the fall line and those looking for playful and drifty performance. Coming from a brand with ski racing in its DNA, any of the skis in the Ranger series are a blast for carving.

A unique feature of the new Ranger series is the incorporation of individually cut Titanal plates, called Shaped Ti. The narrower the ski, the longer the Titanal insert and the flatter the tail, which supports more fall-line oriented skiers seeking more responsiveness. The wider models, from the Ranger 102 to the 116, increase playfulness thanks to the reduced Titanal along the length of the ski, a larger Flexcut, and increased tail rise. The Flexcut ensures the optimum energy characteristics for each ski, and the clean designs of the new Ranger series underscore the contemporary nature of the skis.

The Ranger series was developed with close attention to the construction materials used to reduce environmental impact. Each model has 20-25% recycled steel edges. The top sheets are 50% vegetable oil-based and contain 10% recycled materials, and the bases are made with at least 50% recycled content. The skis feature a zero-waste wood core and the Titanal used contains at least 80% recycled content. All materials used are REACH compliant, and the Austrian production facilities use 60% solar energy.

The models will be available in selected stores beginning February, 2022.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I got a chance to see the line and ski the 96 and the 102 last week. One thing the press release doesn't really mention is that the Ti and FR lines have been consolidated into one line. The 102 is a bit less FR than before and the 108 has a much more FR shape than the old 107. I'm hoping to ski the 102 and 108 more once we have more snow. We were at Pico and got so ski some really interesting snow. The mountain had gotten somewhere around a foot of snow on Monday which ended with a bit of freezing rain then a very windy Tuesday blew the loose snow into a bit of wind slab. Great snow for testing skis. I skied the 102 first and we hadn't discovered the good untracked snow yet, so I skied it in some lighter powder, on groomed and on some crusty bumps. It felt very much like the current 102 but with less of the FR feel. The 96 felt much different from any of the Rangers I have skied. At first I felt like it was about 20 mm narrower than the 102, not a mere 6. Edgehold was very good and it had the Fischer feel. Part way through the first run I started to realize what it reminded me of which is it's great-grandfather the Motive 95. Not the shape or the rocker profile, but the feel under foot of a powerful Austrian ski. This was when we discovered a whole trail of the aforementioned untracked "powder". It was really fun but demanding and the Ranger ate it right up. Whatever they did, this ski really shined in these conditions. It was sort of unremarkable at the time, but as I went through the day and skied other skis on that same trail I realized that while most of the skis had vices there, the Ranger hadn't and I liked it more and more as I skied the others.

I think Phil will be getting on the Rangers this week?

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I got a chance to see the line and ski the 96 and the 102 last week. One thing the press release doesn't really mention is that the Ti and FR lines have been consolidated into one line. The 102 is a bit less FR than before and the 108 has a much more FR shape than the old 107. I'm hoping to ski the 102 and 108 more once we have more snow. We were at Pico and got so ski some really interesting snow. The mountain had gotten somewhere around a foot of snow on Monday which ended with a bit of freezing rain then a very windy Tuesday blew the loose snow into a bit of wind slab. Great snow for testing skis. I skied the 102 first and we hadn't discovered the good untracked snow yet, so I skied it in some lighter powder, on groomed and on some crusty bumps. It felt very much like the current 102 but with less of the FR feel. The 96 felt much different from any of the Rangers I have skied. At first I felt like it was about 20 mm narrower than the 102, not a mere 6. Edgehold was very good and it had the Fischer feel. Part way through the first run I started to realize what it reminded me of which is it's great-grandfather the Motive 95. Not the shape or the rocker profile, but the feel under foot of a powerful Austrian ski. This was when we discovered a whole trail of the aforementioned untracked "powder". It was really fun but demanding and the Ranger ate it right up. Whatever they did, this ski really shined in these conditions. It was sort of unremarkable at the time, but as I went through the day and skied other skis on that same trail I realized that while most of the skis had vices there, the Ranger hadn't and I liked it more and more as I skied the others.

I think Phil will be getting on the Rangers this week?
So as someone who still enjoys the Motive 95 for cruddy EC days, is the new 96 the right replacement? I have yet to ski a Stockli SR 95 and I do like my Stocklis too. The only concerning statement above is that you said it felt 20mm narrower than the 102. Hoping for a ski that still has some float too.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
So as someone who still enjoys the Motive 95 for cruddy EC days, is the new 96 the right replacement? I have yet to ski a Stöckli SR 95 and I do like my Stöcklis too. The only concerning statement above is that you said it felt 20mm narrower than the 102. Hoping for a ski that still has some float too.
I sure do think so. Only felt 20mm narrower in that it was that much easier to get on edge. I liked it in the cruddy powder more than the Bent 110 and Mantra 102, so plenty of float there.

I'll put it this way, I still ski my Motive 95, I haven't bought a narrower Ranger yet, I will have this 96 and it will be better than my Motives.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's great to hear that t new Ranger 96 is a viable replacement for the Motive 95, @Erik Timmerman I think a lot of people whose Motive 95's are beat will appreciate this news. Mine are still in really great shape and I still really love them.

Any more photos of the new Rangers?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I skied the 102 back in November in Austria. Much like the 102 FR, but a bit more directional. Stable but not at all demanding and even on groomers quite fun, though not exhilarating or anything.
Yeah, I've seen a few 102s in the wild. Apparently you can buy them somewhere now. I might get a pair of the pink ones before they are gone just because - PINK.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's great to hear that t new Ranger 96 is a viable replacement for the Motive 95, @Erik Timmerman I think a lot of people whose Motive 95's are beat will appreciate this news. Mine are still in really great shape and I still really love them.

Any more photos of the new Rangers?
478C1F14-ECFE-4B89-A996-A47DBC61F7E5.jpg

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, I've seen a few 102s in the wild. Apparently you can buy them somewhere now. I might get a pair of the pink ones before they are gone just because - PINK.

The pink do get a lot of attention when out on them. Fun Ski. I’m super interested in trying these new ones though if they keep all of the playfulness and have a bit more strength to it at same time. Great ski - orange / teal look like solid fun colors also.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I sure do think so. Only felt 20mm narrower in that it was that much easier to get on edge. I liked it in the cruddy powder more than the Bent 110 and Mantra 102, so plenty of float there.

I'll put it this way, I still ski my Motive 95, I haven't bought a narrower Ranger yet, I will have this 96 and it will be better than my Motives.
This is what I like to hear.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I'll be in Kitzbuhel this weekend on a bucket list trip with my son. I'm really hoping that I can get on the 96 and 102. From what has already been written, I am more than excited to try them both.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm interested in the 90. Surprised nobody has talked about it yet.

My home shop California Ski Company loves the current 102 and RC One 86 GT (which I own and love). These look to be even better!

Sponsor