• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crafted to Ski More: Fischer Announces Newly Designed Ranger Series

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Cheizz we have enough noodle 100mm skis that are beginner and lighter persons friendly. I'm both fairly tall & heavy, the 2020-2021 was one of the very few skis that ever stood a chance on groomers, and still beeing fun going slow on or offpiste. and its probably the only 184 except maybe mantras that can hang at all. the pink models were sold out pretty much instantly everywhere.. then this stuff happend.....

the current (now old?) 102 Fr was also my gf's favorite allthough she isn't heavy, its plenty of friends favorite as well, it was chosen over others because of what it was. they are looking to get in with the mindbender/rustler/whatever crowd. It used to bring somehting unique, now it does not. volkl seemed to have done the same thing for the M102, have yet to demo it, so verdict is still out on thoose...

and I did put my money where my mouth is, we got 4 pairs of 102 FR at home. and I've owned 3 before (sold to get pink)

I've forward mounted them, skied them in park, on big jumps, offpiste, and loooots of groomers, you can drive the front without worrying "will it give in"

James

Out There
Instructor
The 102 FR is stiff? Bends pretty easily in the store.
@anders_nor , maybe you just need to get on the Kore bandwagon… (mystery to me)

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
@anders_nor
Have you skied the 2023 Ranger 102 yourself?

I didn't find the outgoing 102 FR that stiff either. I do understand why that ski is/was so popular. But I don't really think the new 102 is that much different in many respects. If anything, it's still nothing like either the light-weight tour-friendly end/or carbonny skis, nor is it a 1-O-something crush anything tank. I think it's still pretty unique.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 102FR was fairly solid flexing tip to tail and definitely stiffer tip/tail than most comparable skis. Less taper, less tail rise and a willingness to go straight at high speeds that made it a more precise, better carver than options like the Enforcer 104. The 102FR not as damp and quiet or as forgiving off piste though.

If they got rid of the carbon tips, went to a solid wood core to increase weight, reduced the flex peak underfoot a hair to make it more playful while keeping the same shape, you’d have a very unique ski in the marketplace.

Now with the softer flex, similar weight and increased increased taper Vs the 102FR, you have now moved into the very crowded Rustler/Declivity/QST etc market.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Except the Rustler 10 and QST 98, which I happen to know quite well, too, are not nearly as stable and planted as the 2023 Ranger 102. The outgoing QST 106 is more stable, I suppose. But a bit of a railway cross beam, too. Not nearly as maneuverable or smooth.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blister just posted their measured specs on the new Ranger 102. Some of the highlights. Measured length of the 184 FR is 2.6 cm longer than the 183 Ranger. The FR is slightly heavier. The FR has more camber. Tip splay in the Ranger is slightly more the the FR, 5mm. Widest tip width, narrowest waist width, widest tip width are very close. However shape is very different when looking at them side by side. Suggested mount point virtually the same. Front of the FR is significantly stiffer, the FR is a bit stiffer through the middle and back end.

It is safe to say that other than the name these are very different skis than the outgoing FRs and have to have designed to achieve very different objectives. The much softer measured is tip certainly consistent with the observations of those who have had the opportunity to ski the new Ranger.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January