• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cramp/Knot front of heel

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First day of the season in the books. It took maybe 5 runs to get my legs back a little. Not yet mid season form, but not so bad.

Anyways, the boots felt small per first day . But, my feet might be a little wider having not needed to wear shoes for a few covid months

I've got a cramp/knot just front of my left heel on the inside. Things around the knot are definitely swollen. Anyone have a good, and maybe quick fix? I'm doing the drinking water and icing the pain point. Anything else to try?

Finger in pic points to the knot. Probably half dollar size.

PXL_20201124_205121233.jpg

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
navicular? Boot fitter can easily work with that. Good footbed will help to - (a must).

Wait... that looks like the opposite side of the foot. Still, see a boot fiter.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
navicular? Boot fitter can easily work with that. Good footbed will help to - (a must).

Wait... that looks like the opposite side of the foot. Still, see a boot fiter.
Nope, not a bone. It's a swollen muscle. That's why the title includes the word "cramp". Just comparing feet, the injured foot is definitely swollen in comparison.

Boots were fitted twice last season. Yes, custom footbed already used.

Just talked with my boot fitted. Likely summer feet in winter boots. (As alluded in OP).

So, again.... Looking for suggestions to reduce swelling. (Ice, IB done. Hmmm maybe some heat.)

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
4.5 hrs later and the swelling is much smaller. There's remains a thumb tip sized knot. But, most importantly, the crazy amount of pain from flexing and pressuring the foot seems gone. It's now just an annoyance.

There's hope to be able to ski tomorrow. (Yes, I'm crazy. Doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. ;-)
But seriously, I'll make a few small adjustments.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could be thrombophlebitis or blood clot in a superficial vein. If it is, it’s not dangerous and you do not need to take a blood thinner like warfarin. A heating pad during the day can help. Traditionally, aspirin is recommended for a couple of weeks.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My adjustments worked well. No recurrence of cramp today. Small (thumb sized) remaining knot, which my history says should disappear soon-ish (couple-three days). Alway's well (for now).

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What adjustments did you make?
I lied earlier about having a custom footbed. Late last season, I was trying out an Intuition Power Wrap liner to help with volume and warmth. It took up so much room, that my custom footbeds didn't fit with my feet, thus a try at skiing without. Fast forward to this season, forgot lack of footbeds and first day steering on SL caused the overuse knot.

Fix: put in the original liners with footbeds, get on AX (feels like home), and learn how to not steer again.

Will revisit warmth issue with heating tech later.
Talked with my bootfitter, volume with original liner is/was appropriate. I over thought/mis-diagnosed situation.

Mea Culpa

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Respect for explaining :thumb::thumb:

Would you consider remoulding the Power Wraps with the footbed and more tension on the upper 3 buckles and with more tension (pulling up on) the top of the liner?

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Respect for explaining :thumb::thumb:

Would you consider remoulding the Power Wraps with the footbed and more tension on the upper 3 buckles and with more tension (pulling up on) the top of the liner?
If memory serves, we tried molding the Power Wraps with the footbeds first and not enough volume left for my feet.
Don't believe the other work-arounds would work. After this experience, I'd rather get a "race plug" type liner to try.

But, with my current/original liner, my heel and ankle are locked in. My forefoot has some wiggle, which I errantly thought to fill out with the Intuitions. My bootfitter has corrected my understanding.

Will probably have a pair of 25.5 Intuition Power Wraps for sale soon. Second owner, Molded twice.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ow! I've had that little muscle cramp before. Mine never came back, so I hope yours won't. Eat a banana for the potassium. Sounds like you did all the right things for good recovery: R I C E.

Sponsor

Staff online