• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Impressive. He did the right thing by not running. Must've taken all his will power not to.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He is alive, not gonna second guess much ...

lol, I am going to second guess him; as I've also encountered a mountian lion just recently this year, so I feel I've got rights to crap on him a bit.
The other people that came up to my position also was of this new generation social media mindset; where their first thought is oh so cute, let me get closer for a better video and better posts. This guy can't even put down the phone when he's fearing for his life, because the gram. First thing after the encounter, needs to comment on his video for his audience... Surprised he didn't say Please like and Subscribe before signing off.

Mountain Lion just wanted him to delete the video and didn't want to be on his insta.
If the mountain lion wanted to attack they can run 35mph so she could've done so at any time, she let him go after she proved her point that her kids aren't celebrities for the paparazzi.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Holy sh*t cakes" is a good one.

When i was stalked and circled by 8 coyotes in the woods i didnt swear but was more aggressive and swung a stick then my bike at them. Definitely didnt turn on my phone because it was go time. They were closer than the mountain lion but i will take 8 coyotes any day over a mountain lion.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cursing at a Mountain Lion appears ineffective at best and possibly irritating.
Yea same as trying to yell at a housecat to listen to your commands. They will just stare you down and are just thinking are you worth my time. And when it's mother protecting her kids, all rules are off.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This guy can't even put down the phone when he's fearing for his life, because the gram.

Dude's next adventure.

1602555853368.png

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the book Don’t get Eaten what it says is the following:

Back away early before the encounter (ie clear area get in car leave), obviously not possible.
At the encounter back away, look big, ie if you have a jacket loosen it and lift it, makes you look wider and taller suddenly, you are now the predator.
If still pursued and attacked, attack back but don’t get in claw reach (iffy). You are the predator.
Finally afterward, be on guard till you cleared the area (ie back in car/truck) as they are know to circle back and attack again from behind.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the book Don’t get Eaten what it says is the following:

Back away early before the encounter (ie clear area get in car leave), obviously not possible.
At the encounter back away, look big, ie if you have a jacket loosen it and lift it, makes you look wider and taller suddenly, you are now the predator.
If still pursued and attacked, attack back but don’t get in claw reach (iffy). You are the predator.
Finally afterward, be on guard till you cleared the area (ie back in car/truck) as they are know to circle back and attack again from behind.
Agree, but when I look back, that advice is specifically for the scenario of you're going to be eaten.

If scenario is when you've come between a mom and kid, the scenario is shifted. She wants her kittens safe and you out. So your impetus is more on the back away or stay away and not be an active threat to the kitten; she is not going to give a F that you're faking being a predator.
For daylight sightings of mountain lions on frequented human trails, it is very likely the contributing reason is is because a doofus kitten got them spotted, versus an adult lion actually wants to eat you.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
lol, I am going to second guess him; as I've also encountered a mountian lion just recently this year, so I feel I've got rights to crap on him a bit.
The other people that came up to my position also was of this new generation social media mindset; where their first thought is oh so cute, let me get closer for a better video and better posts. This guy can't even put down the phone when he's fearing for his life, because the gram. First thing after the encounter, needs to comment on his video for his audience... Surprised he didn't say Please like and Subscribe before signing off.

Mountain Lion just wanted him to delete the video and didn't want to be on his insta.
If the mountain lion wanted to attack they can run 35mph so she could've done so at any time, she let him go after she proved her point that her kids aren't celebrities for the paparazzi.

Of course you have good points, but of course we also don't know exactly how everything went down ... so again, not second guessing. Obviously she could have eaten him whenever. He backed up, like you're supposed to; he yelled, like you're supposed to; he threw something at it ... probably could have done that a lot sooner. If I were already recording a video walking down a pretty hike, I can totally envision continuing to do it partly because of not wanting to change my body position too much and startle the scary thing. You know, like reaching for your pocket if a cop is eyeing you, even if you're just getting your chapstick.

I took a video of a big fat marmot on a trail the other day ... if you see something up ahead and you aren't sure what it is but think, "Oh maybe cute!" take out phone to record, then realize "oops" -- that doesn't mean you are stalking lion cubs for the gram.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cursing at a Mountain Lion appears ineffective at best and possibly irritating.
He is alive, not gonna second guess much ...
I honestly thought both of these things while I was watching it.
But first, I thought;"Dude if you see mountain lion cubs, you don't stop to take a video, you leave befoe mama mountain lion bitch slaps you."

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gotcha, but the people that came up in my encounter did exactly as I described down to the "oh so cute". I had to tell them don't get closer; so this is a real typical reaction; I didn't imagine it up from thin air. ogsmile

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree, but when I look back, that advice is specifically for the scenario of you're going to be eaten.

If scenario is when you've come between a mom and kid, the scenario is shifted. She wants her kittens safe and you out. So your impetus is more on the back away or stay away and not be an active threat to the kitten; she is not going to give a F that you're faking being a predator.
For daylight sightings of mountain lions on frequented human trails, it is very likely the contributing reason is is because a doofus kitten got them spotted, versus an adult lion actually wants to eat you.
Re read it. The objective is leave regardless of kittens or not. If the encounter happens getting Eaten (or as @Tricia puts B slapped) by mamma, means you have to take other actions to be able to leave including being predator aggressive.

BTW I agree, the first mistake was not leaving immediately, thats the error of modern technology camera always at hand.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Gotcha, but the people that came up in my encounter did exactly as I described down to the "oh so cute". I had to tell them don't get closer; so this is a real typical reaction; I didn't imagine it up from thin air. ogsmile
What happened to common sense. It's a wild animal.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Re read it. The objective is leave regardless of kittens or not. If the encounter happens getting Eaten (or as @Tricia puts B slapped) by mamma, means you have to take other actions to be able to leave including being predator aggressive.

BTW I agree, the first mistake was not leaving immediately, thats the error of modern technology camera always at hand.
Yea i re-read it, it's not the best advice.
Most advice including from the NPS and mountainlion orgs and the sign at trailheads, is to first stand your ground in a mountain lion encounter, and if it approaches to throwing things first near it, then at it. The back away that get's mentioned isn't about leaving; it's more about giving the mountain lion enough extra space and paths/options for the mountain lion so they don't have to escalate.