• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Crosson Dissenter 78, 185, taking a chance that paid off

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
These are already among my favorites now, tops. Surprising.
Nice review OP.
Kinda crazy that they can retail that ski for $499 still, though cheapest shipping option is $73
This ski, based on performance, could easily be more, agreed.

(I think I'm going to to get a second pair. Yikes!!!)

(For me it was $40.30 shipping [to Colorado].
I think both times.) :beercheer:

Last edited:

TipsUp

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Nice review OP.
Kinda crazy that they can retail that ski for $499 still, though cheapest shipping option is $73
Code: SHIPYEAH for free shipping.
If anyone knows of any other promos, let me know. I'm looking to get the D78 in 186.

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dang, too late. I already ordered the 78 again. (Partly for others in the family, partly because these skis are going to get a lot of wear. )

Now we just need some reviews of the other, wider Dissenter models. (Apparently the middle, c. 98 yellow ones are sold out, dunno - no longer on the website.) And without more info/reviews, I'm not all that ready for another fat ski or 118 ski without demoing it first.

Today was day 3 on the 185/78s, this time, noon to four, so lots of early spring snow, softened up from around two pm on.

At noon, it was still pretty firm, not slush. So I got a shot at afternoon skied off conditions then (ice patches, small bumps, no corduroy in sight). Not a problem, high marks for/on these skis.

Large ice patches (still not like back East hardpan) were just routine, no problem on these either, as with a race ski.

These so far seem to be a very good slush ski, for when that comes into play more in the coming weeks. (But from now on I'll need my own wax or overlay; after about three pm on the lower, warmer slopes the existing factory base coat was not for that warmer slush, though at least it was consistent, as if skiing on hay, rather than coming to a sudden full stop. )

Also, for me bumps were not soft enough for spring slush bump testing early enough, even if I were so inclined.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dang, too late. I already ordered the 78 again. (Partly for others in the family, partly because these skis are going to get a lot of wear. )

Now we just need some reviews of the other, wider Dissenter models. (Apparently the middle, c. 98 yellow ones are sold out, dunno - no longer on the website.) And without more info/reviews, I'm not all that ready for another fat ski or 118 ski without demoing it first.

Today was day 3 on the 185/78s, this time, noon to four, so lots of early spring snow, softened up from around two pm on.

At noon, it was still pretty firm, not slush. So I got a shot at afternoon skied off conditions then (ice patches, small bumps, no corduroy in sight). Not a problem, high marks for/on these skis.

Large ice patches (still not like back East hardpan) were just routine, no problem on these either, as with a race ski.

These so far seem to be a very good slush ski, for when that comes into play more in the coming weeks. (But from now on I'll need my own wax or overlay; after about three pm on the lower, warmer slopes the existing factory base coat was not for that warmer slush, though at least it was consistent, as if skiing on hay, rather than coming to a sudden full stop. )

Also, for me bumps were not soft enough for spring slush bump testing early enough, even if I were so inclined.
Quickly scanned the thread. Not noticing that you said anything about tuning, but maybe I missed it in my haste. Are you skiing them as-is out of the wrapper?

Has anyone skied the shorter lengths?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got an email reminder from Crosson that a D78 175 was still in my cart.
I tried the free-ship code: SHIPYEAH and it does indeed work ( thanks @TipsUp for providing that above ).
But I can't bring myself to pull the trigger as I have a few incoming wider skis to keep me occupied next season, and I'm already quite happy with my K2 STi for firm groomers at my home hill. So many skis, so little time ! I'll send the Crosson link to my pal in CT, but he would be in the 185 camp.

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Quickly scanned the thread. Not noticing that you said anything about tuning, but maybe I missed it in my haste. Are you skiing them as-is out of the wrapper?

Has anyone skied the shorter lengths?
Yeah, I did cover this in my first post, but it was way down, and a single sentence in a long post.

Crossons does professional ski tuning at their location, and with skis sent to them, they say on their web sight - race ski quality tuning.

So along with a two year warranty, and two years of free tunings for a purchaser, they tune the skis they send.

In my case, I can confirm it was a perfect tune. (I do my own near race ski tunings, and the exact tip feel they got is one I strive for, and succeed at equal to what they did a bit more than half the time. Specifically, the tip area edge/bevels contribute positively to the carve and edge hold in just the right way, letting you feel that longer edge length as fully a good thing - not too quick to release (slippy) and not too hard to release (hooky), and thus bompproof dependable with carving and edge hold - with no chatter (if the ski design allows that).
(The practice of de-tuning the tips on skis is a way to get around this precise level of tuning, often, near as I can tell - with a corresponding loss of useful edge length.)

Crossons got all that just right, on the skis I bought, as advertised (to me, highly unusual from the factory).

I believe Philpug skied the 175, but not sure.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, shoot, I'm a sucker for a good carver, a Bode fan, and think a lot of @ski otter 2 opinions.

I guess I just bought a pair in 185 with free shipping!

Told Mrs. K that we are close enough to closing day that these count as next year's skis! :ogbiggrin:

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow.

Hey, I'm jealous of the free shipping! :roflmao:

Hope your "profile" lets these be as good for you as my "profile" seems to be making them for me, so far.
(It doesn't hurt that they seem to be quite a bargain.)

Dang, I sure didn't set out to be an advocate for a ski, no premeditation. Just wanted to give em a try, just to see - Bode's "next step" skis.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow.

Hey, I'm jealous of the free shipping! :roflmao:

Hope your "profile" lets these be as good for you as my "profile" seems to be making them for me, so far.
(It doesn't hurt that they seem to be quite a bargain.)

Dang, I sure didn't set out to be an advocate for a ski, no premeditation. Just wanted to give em a try, just to see - Bode's "next step" skis.

I love an accessible, short radius, carvy ski. Over the years, I've owned some SL skis (too soft in deep spring corn) and toyed with the idea of Ski Logik Occam's Razor, Line Blades, Faction Whatevers, etc., etc..

Something about these just clicked for me, and, as noted, the price didn't hurt a bit. :ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
With a tip like that where the sidecut comes way up? It’s going to put a premium on the skier. The question is how good is the skier in icy moguls?

2D764592-EAD5-4905-B8A5-BDB60459619A.jpeg

130mm in 175cm

That said, $499 for a ski like this with a nice tune on it is a screaming deal. The tune basically saves you the better part if not all of $100.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are they good in moguls? Like icy/firm east coast moguls.
Man, I'm an old guy. Maybe you could do it, dunno. These are like line Blade GS skis (in feel; they have a shorter radius), and the farthest I'll go - or mostly even try - is to find out (a few days ago) and report they are good in some groomer slush/crud and very mild bumps of any sort - as I said, like the kind on a slope that gets groomed once a week, so probably not in big time tall moguls, let alone ice East Coast moguls.

So in sum, I'd have to guess that for myself the answer would probably be "no." I'm sure I could do it somewhat, as I have many times in the past put GS FIS race skis through the somewhat inappropriate task of skiing hard moguls. Those actually do better in some ways than a regular front side ski in icy moguls, since they hold an edge on ice, at least. Hah.

I don't think I'm even going to test (beyond a very few easier turns) whether these babies are good in spring slush bump fields. I'm likely just to resist that experience, let alone east coast hardpan monsters. No sir.

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love an accessible, short radius, carvy ski. Over the years, I've owned some SL skis (too soft in deep spring corn) and toyed with the idea of Ski Logik Occam's Razor, Line Blades, Faction Whatevers, etc., etc..

Something about these just clicked for me, and, as noted, the price didn't hurt a bit. :ogbiggrin:
This comes as a mild relief to me. What you say here sure seems to stack the deck in favor of you liking these skis, and them liking you.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crosson Dissenter 78

mounted BC on the recommended dimple

Mine arrived and are going in for mounting today.

Happy with that mount point?

Is the factory line what you'd recommend to a fairly directional skier?

No pressure, my decision, but would love your thoughts prior to mounting, as well as those of @Philpug.

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mine arrived and are going in for mounting today.

Happy with that mount point?

Is the factory line what you'd recommend to a fairly directional skier?

No pressure, my decision, but would love your thoughts prior to mounting, as well as those of @Philpug.

Thanks!
The pair I skied, were premounted, I assume at the factory line.

Sponsor