• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Crosson Dissenter 78, 185, taking a chance that paid off

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Is this a great example why there are a metric shit ton of skis on the market. We all like something a bit different. @ski otter 2 thanks for talking about this ski and elevating the discussion about something other that the usual ‘S’ brand. I’m guessing the surplus will be found come fall somewhere once the dust settles from Bodes new venture (sierra?).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've decided to take advantage of Crosson's 30-day return policy, and notified them of such. Stay tuned.....

Crosson Screen Shot.png

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I've decided to take advantage of Crosson's 30-day return policy, and notified them of such. Stay tuned.....

View attachment 166036
Since they might be out of business at this point you may be SOL. On the other hand they are still the same skis whether the company still exists or not. Who knows, if you want to be optimistic maybe they will even become collector's items.

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I emailed Crosson asking about their thoughts on using plates with bindings, the email I promptly got back was from the co-founder, saying he planned to mount his with plates to access higher angled turns. (See above for his name, etc.) Also, Peak skis has put out six models that in waist width fit neatly in between the two available Dissenter models, the 78 and 118 (from 88 to 110) - rather than directly compete with them or act like those two models - and a constructive ongoing relationship - did not exist. Both these things lead me to suspect there is an active cooperation between what's left of Crosson and its people, and Peak skis/Bode. To me this suggests there is a good potential for your return being honored, @Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I emailed Crosson asking about their thoughts on using plates with bindings, the email I promptly got back was from the co-founder, saying he planned to mount his with plates to access higher angled turns. (See above for his name, etc.) Also, Peak skis has put out six models that in waist width fit neatly in between the two available Dissenter models, the 78 and 118 (from 88 to 110) - rather than directly compete with them or act like those two models - and a constructive ongoing relationship - did not exist. Both these things lead me to suspect there is an active cooperation between what's left of Crosson and its people, and Peak skis/Bode. To me this suggests there is a good potential for your return being honored, @Tom K.

Chase? I also got a reply from him on the mount point, but crickets on my return request.

I may have to enlist the might of REI Mastercard........

But no doubt these guys are busy moving to Bozeman, so I'll give them a few more days.

@Philpug or @Tricia, some advice on this via a PM would be appreciated, if you're of a mind.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Chase? I also got a reply from him on the mount point, but crickets on my return request.

But no doubt these guys are busy moving to Bozeman, so I'll give them a few more days.

@Philpug or @Tricia, some advice on this via a PM would be appreciated, if you're of a mind.
Keep us posted and hope it works out for you. My understanding is that Crosson is actually not officially moving to Bozeman. Rather the equipment is and Peak will be a newly formed entity. So it's possible the owner is being a standup guy as far as answering support questions but if they are out of business then it seems likely they won't be honoring returns.

@ski otter 2 I actually would be more optimistic if Peak did have the prior Crosson models. That would actually show a greater level of cooperation because otherwise I would assume Peak actually doesn't own the IP to those models and hence may not be able to produce them even if they wanted to.

I'm hoping it works out for you and maybe Mastercard will be able to get your money back. Keep us posted!

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

This isn’t legal advice and I have never dealt with a parallel issue personally, but as a very general matter ongoing obligations to consumers are quite hard to extinguish when winding up a business. While this may be of little practical value (unless there are many others in your situation), I suspect Crosson’s ski repurchase obligations do survive in an enforceable format against previous owners personally and/or Bode’s new company which seems to have purchased Crosson’s tuning equipment.

If you have spare time could be an entertaining small claims case if Chase doesn’t voluntarily do the right thing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Thanks @AngryAnalyst. Still hoping for a "gentlemanly" response, but it's been crickets.

I'll engage Mastercard on Thursday if necessary, as we're off for a couple weeks of warm weather.

I did take a screenshot of their return policy, just to be sure.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I talked to Bode this week, I asked about this ski, he said it was nto moving forward. My guess is they are closing out whatever they have left in inventory, hence the $499 price point. I recon we will see a Peak 70-something for the 23-24 season.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I talked to Bode this week, I asked about this ski, he said it was nto moving forward. My guess is they are closing out whatever they have left in inventory, hence the $499 price point. I recon we will see a Peak 70-something for the 23-24 season.

Good to know. Hoping they will still honor this, though it's gone awfully quiet suddenly.

Crosson Return Policy.png

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
nto = not that overall (thus a discard now) or nto = no technical objection (thus okay to change design or use, permission given by the designer)?

Sorry, old guy, so don't know.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It occurs to me that if @Tom K., bless him, hadn't been so immediate and forthright in his public feedback about the ski, and had let Otter's review stand on its own, he'd probably be reselling the skis right here for more than he paid. Such is life.

Sponsor

Staff online