• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crudology - Its that time of year

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You mean you haven't bought any of the new crud skis, and taken your crud lessons to learn how to use them properly?
:ogbiggrin: Nope. I'm pretty sure the Glen Plake quote about bumps applies to crud too!

I am wondering specifically about extension vs. flexion vs. retraction initiation and trying to carve full turns in crud. As discussed following my post over here.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Frighteningly detailed but informative report by BB early in this thread on what skis were featured.

So much for the view that you have to be on fat skis in crud. It seems one has a choice between skiing a ski that's forgiving, or one that will really perform. There's always a tradeoff. Oh, and if you pick a skinny ski, it doesn't necessarily have to be a World Cup beast.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will Abasin be cruddy next week?
Crud for sure! As to when... that's tough to answer.

It's tough to predict surface conditions with the mixed forecast. The good news is high confidence most of the good terrain will be open.

Are you coming?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time @James and I were in Colorado together we had thick, heavy manky snow. The kind of stuff you would sink 6 inches in and then have trouble getting your ski loose. Everyone (including us) was afraid to go off the packed down stuff.

The next day a friend (who remains nameless since he doesn't like to get sucked into ski technique threads) came up, said "oh this looks like fun" and charged off into that stuff. He dropped a few cryptic remarks and James interpreted for me. A few words go a long ways when they come from the right source.

What I learned was the importance of getting to a true neutral at transition. You need to be balanced left-to-right and front-to-back. If you get light on your skis but your weight is still forward, your tips are still going to dig in. When you are at a true neutral you can do anything you want at that moment.

One counterintuitive (and perhaps heretical) trick I discovered experimenting is that you can even make a small pivot. I'm talking about ten or twenty degrees on a completely flat ski, NOT the typical heel-pushing pivot. And then you tip the ski as you normally would to start turning. What the miniature pivot does for you is it speeds up the transition. And that meant that I could have more turns, so I did not have to finish each one as completely. Which is a good thing because on the belly of a fully-completed turn on a steep pitch my skis would dig such a deep trench that I had trouble getting out of it.

Even if you don't believe my heresy, the big picture of more but smaller turns still applies. When you get going fully the across the hill you get locked in, by the snow or by your body position or just by psychology, and it is harder to start the next turn.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
I remember when that was shot at Big Sky at the ESA. I think I rented K2 Apache Recon. Could have been the Völkl AC4.
The stuff when they're at Abasin in the chutes does not show the steepness.

Trying to remember what the bottoms of your skis said as they were flying by my head?! LOL. Miss skiing with this gang.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I watched Crudology again this evening, it's really fun to watch, and the ski philosophy of Bad Barnes is spot-on. Another reason I enjoy it is that a family member is one of the featured skiers.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
So if you're balanced you can pivot. Got it.
Not exactly. If you're out of balance nothing works. If you're balanced you might be able to make a small pivot if the snow isn't trapping your skis. The other options are either to make a big jump to get your skis above the snow or to immediately roll the skis to their other edges. Look at the Crudology video at about 6:45-6:50, and you'll see the skiers making a very small, if any, pivot and more of rolling the skis to the other edges. The skis turn them; they don't turn their skis.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Not exactly. If you're out of balance nothing works. If you're balanced you might be able to make a small pivot if the snow isn't trapping your skis. The other options are either to make a big jump to get your skis above the snow or to immediately roll the skis to their other edges. Look at the Crudology video at about 6:45-6:50, and you'll see the skiers making a very small, if any, pivot and more of rolling the skis to the other edges. The skis turn them; they don't turn their skis.
Breakable Crust. :nono:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I agree, initiating by a pure rolling is the best option almost all the time in crud.
My point was that, contrary to what you would expect, you can make a small pivot right at transition with your skis completely flat, and then make a pure tipping initiation. It's a specialty move for special circumstances. You should get rid of the reflexive pivot first. Then you can put a tiny bit back in under conscious control, if you want.

Racetiger

Getting on the lift
Skier
Crudology sounds a lot like my philosophy I refer to as Crudistics. It is a technique whereby the DIRT used for a turn is managed by certain snow statistics and external factors. What needs to be done is to take a sample of the snow and measure statistics such as temperature, moisture content, density and type of crystallization in order to identify the level of viscosity that the snow will apply to lateral twisting movement of the ski. Otherwise known as MIF (magnitude of internal friction), the higher the viscosity or, MIF, is, the more force must be applied to rotary input at the hips and ankles to overcome the snow’s resistance to displacement and thus a more aggressive representation of DIRT is generated as a recommendation for those patterns. In this case, viscosity = (2 x (ski density – snow density) x g x a^2) ÷ (9 x v), where g = acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/s^2, a = radius of ski base, and v = velocity of ski base through snow. Of course, once the viscosity reaches a certain value, the only rotary that can be applied to the ski comes from the ski’s sidecut and all recommended DIRT is recalculated and then slated for ski tipping only. External factors of speed, pitch and ski type are calculated into the formula. I have developed an app that does all the calculations and then recommends music tracks that promote the DIRT needed for that snow. Each value adjustment is recalculated for its logarithmic function 300 times per second. Whether it be fresh flakes, hoarfrost, graupel, polycrystals, or any layered mutations resulting in slab, crust, cement, a vanilla slushy, downtown chicago crack or billy crystal meth, we’ve got you covered. Ability levels then, of course, tend to be determined by what sort of music is being recommended specifically along with which type of drugs the student may be on. Once a student starts receiving recommendations in the death metal/crack ho genre, they will have arrived at the advanced level. Right now I am at the garage punk/skunk level hoping to get to the industrial/acid section this following season. I already have a head start with my blazing orange mirrored goggles and a very bad attitude in the singles line but I suppose a lot of it depends on the weather. I also suggest to people that they not immediately become offended upon receiving country music recommendations. I tell them just to take it as a kick in the pants to get with the program. Classical recommendations usually means an equipment upgrade may be in order. Jazz? No rhythm. The Blues? In the back seat. Funk? PTSD or PMS is coming through in the skiing. Orchestra? A noisy upper (conductor). Trance? Time to make a turn, Dude. Progressive? Better than that plateau you came from. Grunge? Time to change your ski socks. Hard Rock? Doing that sh*t again? Psychedelic Rock? You boarded the wrong gondola. One hit wonder? Sorry, no room for a single. Yes, the app eventually starts making more and more sarcastic fun of the customer until they eventually get that they've been had. ;)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crudology sounds a lot like my philosophy I refer to as Crudistics. It is a technique whereby the DIRT used for a turn is managed by certain snow statistics and external factors. What needs to be done is to take a sample of the snow and measure statistics such as temperature, moisture content, density and type of crystallization in order to identify the level of viscosity that the snow will apply to lateral twisting movement of the ski. Otherwise known as MIF (magnitude of internal friction), the higher the viscosity or, MIF, is, the more force must be applied to rotary input at the hips and ankles to overcome the snow’s resistance to displacement and thus a more aggressive representation of DIRT is generated as a recommendation for those patterns. In this case, viscosity = (2 x (ski density – snow density) x g x a^2) ÷ (9 x v), where g = acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/s^2, a = radius of ski base, and v = velocity of ski base through snow. Of course, once the viscosity reaches a certain value, the only rotary that can be applied to the ski comes from the ski’s sidecut and all recommended DIRT is recalculated and then slated for ski tipping only. External factors of speed, pitch and ski type are calculated into the formula. I have developed an app that does all the calculations and then recommends music tracks that promote the DIRT needed for that snow. Each value adjustment is recalculated for its logarithmic function 300 times per second. Whether it be fresh flakes, hoarfrost, graupel, polycrystals, or any layered mutations resulting in slab, crust, cement, a vanilla slushy, downtown chicago crack or billy crystal meth, we’ve got you covered. Ability levels then, of course, tend to be determined by what sort of music is being recommended specifically along with which type of drugs the student may be on. Once a student starts receiving recommendations in the death metal/crack ho genre, they will have arrived at the advanced level. Right now I am at the garage punk/skunk level hoping to get to the industrial/acid section this following season. I already have a head start with my blazing orange mirrored goggles and a very bad attitude in the singles line but I suppose a lot of it depends on the weather. I also suggest to people that they not immediately become offended upon receiving country music recommendations. I tell them just to take it as a kick in the pants to get with the program. Classical recommendations usually means an equipment upgrade may be in order. Jazz? No rhythm. The Blues? In the back seat. Funk? PTSD or PMS is coming through in the skiing. Orchestra? A noisy upper (conductor). Trance? Time to make a turn, Dude. Progressive? Better than that plateau you came from. Grunge? Time to change your ski socks. Hard Rock? Doing that sh*t again? Psychedelic Rock? You boarded the wrong gondola. One hit wonder? Sorry, no room for a single. Yes, the app eventually starts making more and more sarcastic fun of the customer until they eventually get that they've been had. ;)
@Near Nyquist , I'd like you to meet someone.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
@Near Nyquist , I'd like you to meet someone.
0DBEF5A8-EEFF-4C30-9227-B23A2FDA8EE7.jpeg

Take a few of these n get back to me

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January