• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crypto Currency and Skiing

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Back to the topic of the thread, I doubt accepting crypto as payment is resulting if many (if any) sales that wouldn't have occurred otherwise. The primary reason for accepting crypto right now is as a marketing/PR tactic, and given how many pages this thread is already it's clearly a tactic that is working!
This thread has gotten off topic and it has nothing to do with the quality and performance of the skis as they relate to the value of the product. I have not had a chance to demo any of the skis but they probably are a great product. Maybe we need to close out this thread. If @Philpug would care to shutdown this thread I think it maybe a good idea.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The thread's about crypto currency and how it works in financial dealings, not about Renoun skis and how they work on snow.

I've learned a lot about crypto currency reading this thread. It's been a valuable intro to the topic and for the most part has been delivering good content. The fact that people disagree about how the currency is used or how it might be used doesn't mean the thread is problematic. IMO.

Reactions: Ogg

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
This thread has gotten off topic
Did it?

I thought the whole point of mentioning crypto is to talk about crypto in a ski forum!

it has nothing to do with the quality and performance of the skis as they relate to the value of the product.
The "value of the product" is always in dollars.

The only reason crypto got mentioned is because the OP wants to talk about crypto! Why else would the word even mentioned, much less in the title?

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
Did it?

I thought the whole point of mentioning crypto is to talk about crypto in a ski forum!

The "value of the product" is always in dollars.

The only reason crypto got mentioned is because the OP wants to talk about crypto! Why else would the word even mentioned, much less in the title?
Maybe we can have a thread just about Crypto Currency and leave out referrals to Renoun skis. That way it won't seem like we got off topic.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I received an email from Renoun skis and they are now accepting Crypto Currency to purchase their skis. What does the Community think about this? I personally would not use Crypto Currency for anything but that is just me.
Maybe we can have a thread just about Crypto Currency and leave out referrals to Renoun skis. That way it won't seem like we got off topic.
I'm a disinterested third party (too much of a technophobe for crypto and cheap for Renoun), but I'm a little curious about what the issue is here, since you started this thread in response to Renoun skis accepting crypto payments. Was that not the original intent of the post to talk about their business decision?

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

I just went back to the first post and you started this thread by asking people to discuss Renoun accepting crypto as a form of payment for skis. Doesn't that mean that discussion of Renoun is pertinent and on-topic for this thread? If people want to create a general crypto thread that can happen in the off-topic forum, but since this thread is about crypto in the context of paying for skis I believe this deserves to be its own thread here in the general skiing forum.

In my post that you quoted where I said "back to the topic of this thread," that was more of a way for me to quickly address the core question that you asked when you started the thread. My response before that was addressing comments that the CEO of Renoun made recommending a book on the topic of the Federal Reserve that contains conspiracies and antisemitism and then spreading misinformation about the Federal Reserve. This is certainly less on-topic than my quick comment about ski companies accepting crypto being primarily a marketing play, but still relevant to the discussion since the person I was responding to is the CEO of the company that you started the thread about, not to mention that negative reactions to the Federal Reserve's monetary policies were historically important to the creation and early adoption of crypto.

James

Out There
Instructor
…not to mention that negative reactions to the Federal Reserve's monetary policies were historically important to the creation and early adoption of crypto.
Well, we’ve come full circle!
Hoping for quality down pillows at least…

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm a disinterested third party (too much of a technophobe for crypto and cheap for Renoun), but I'm a little curious about what the issue is here, since you started this thread in response to Renoun skis accepting crypto payments. Was that not the original intent of the post to talk about their business decision?
Yes, but I think it got off topic and it seemed that members wanted just to talk about crypto.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
I just went back to the first post and you started this thread by asking people to discuss Renoun accepting crypto as a form of payment for skis. Doesn't that mean that discussion of Renoun is pertinent and on-topic for this thread? If people want to create a general crypto thread that can happen in the off-topic forum, but since this thread is about crypto in the context of paying for skis I believe this deserves to be its own thread here in the general skiing forum.

In my post that you quoted where I said "back to the topic of this thread," that was more of a way for me to quickly address the core question that you asked when you started the thread. My response before that was addressing comments that the CEO of Renoun made recommending a book on the topic of the Federal Reserve that contains conspiracies and antisemitism and then spreading misinformation about the Federal Reserve. This is certainly less on-topic than my quick comment about ski companies accepting crypto being primarily a marketing play, but still relevant to the discussion since the person I was responding to is the CEO of the company that you started the thread about, not to mention that negative reactions to the Federal Reserve's monetary policies were historically important to the creation and early adoption of crypto.
Yes, I started the thread about Renoun accepting crypto for payment, it was a ski topic that we could talk about in the off season and I felt that we had thread drift. Members want to talk and learn about crypto so that is why I made the suggestion.

Sponsor

Staff online