• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Curmudgeons Unite!!!!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On my 2013 GTI there's a plastic cover over the lock cylinder on the driver's door (cover snd door are painted body color).. There's a slot on the underside of the cover that is the width of the key blade, so the key can be used to pop the cover off. Still a PITA, tho.
Hmmmmm..... I’ll have a look. Thx

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What's the deal with having to have the latest and greatest car/phone/computer/etc?? I get that you replace something when it's truly broken beyond workarounds or obsolete but why throw something away destroying the environment when it is still mostly functional just because you have the money to get a new one?? And, a lot of the so called cell phone buyback/recycling programs are actually just promotions/discounts and many of the old phones end up in unregulated third world tech junk landfills.

We're still using a big microwave that had a faulty door switch and flips a breaker when you open it while it is still running.. Yes that is a safety feature but so is a label on it saying DO NOT OPEN UNTIL FINISHED or CANCELLED. Kids learned how to reset the breakers pretty quickly and now everyone knows to use it safely without sending it to the landfill when it still works perfectly otherwise..

We're using a big TV that now starts up in monochrome once or twice a week and sometimes now requires a full power supply off restart to get it working properly. Added an easily accessible power strip with off switch so it's not much hassle to reboot it when that happens..

Dropped my Galaxy S8 twice last week. Found a stick on glass cover to stop the cracking at the corner and make it smooth to the touch instead of jagged where it cracked. Touchscreen under both layers of glass works perfectly and crack is way less noticeable with the new glass on top.

Got two new window A/C units in the shed but still using the old ones that are noisy and take a little longer to get COLD. I won't throw the old ones out until they stop working altogether. Yes, I know there is a tradeoff of an inefficient appliance for a new more efficient one over time. That saves me money but I'm not sure the damage to the environment is less than throwing away a unit that can still be used for another year before it stops working altogether..

Got a 12 year old lawn mower in the shed with a chassis so rusted out that I've got duct tape patches on top to keep the grass from blowing in my face. It will be used one last time to shred the winter fallen branches before unboxing the new exact same model to use going forward. I plan to use the old one as a parts donor for the new one.

A commitment to buy something new should be an obligation to make sure it doesn't end up as refuse before it's useful lifespan has passed. Throwing something away just because you have the money to buy something a little more convenient should come with an equally inconvenient penalty.

How's that for get off my lawn LOL!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
What's the deal with having to have the latest and greatest car/phone/computer/etc?? I get that you replace something when it's truly broken beyond workarounds or obsolete but why throw something away destroying the environment when it is still mostly functional just because you have the money to get a new one?? And, a lot of the so called cell phone buyback/recycling programs are actually just promotions/discounts and many of the old phones end up in unregulated third world tech junk landfills.

We're still using a big microwave that had a faulty door switch and flips a breaker when you open it while it is still running.. Yes that is a safety feature but so is a label on it saying DO NOT OPEN UNTIL FINISHED or CANCELLED. Kids learned how to reset the breakers pretty quickly and now everyone knows to use it safely without sending it to the landfill when it still works perfectly otherwise..

We're using a big TV that now starts up in monochrome once or twice a week and sometimes now requires a full power supply off restart to get it working properly. Added an easily accessible power strip with off switch so it's not much hassle to reboot it when that happens..

Dropped my Galaxy S8 twice last week. Found a stick on glass cover to stop the cracking at the corner and make it smooth to the touch instead of jagged where it cracked. Touchscreen under both layers of glass works perfectly and crack is way less noticeable with the new glass on top.

Got two new window A/C units in the shed but still using the old ones that are noisy and take a little longer to get COLD. I won't throw the old ones out until they stop working altogether. Yes, I know there is a tradeoff of an inefficient appliance for a new more efficient one over time. That saves me money but I'm not sure the damage to the environment is less than throwing away a unit that can still be used for another year before it stops working altogether..

Got a 12 year old lawn mower in the shed with a chassis so rusted out that I've got duct tape patches on top to keep the grass from blowing in my face. It will be used one last time to shred the winter fallen branches before unboxing the new exact same model to use going forward. I plan to use the old one as a parts donor for the new one.

A commitment to buy something new should be an obligation to make sure it doesn't end up as refuse before it's useful lifespan has passed. Throwing something away just because you have the money to buy something a little more convenient should come with an equally inconvenient penalty.

How's that for get off my lawn LOL!
I agree and I'm the same way, to a point. I am still using tools that are decades old on a daily basis and I save most of my old ones for parts. I also, unfortunately, have a bunch of tools that I intended to fix that have been sitting for years because the parts cost as much or more than replacing the tools. I wouldn't keep using that microwave without replacing the faulty switch because it's a potential safety hazard and I wouldn't leave my nice new A/C units in the shed to collect dust, mold, etc while using the old inefficient ones. Put the old ones up on free cycle or something so someone who can't afford a new one can use them(win/win).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I agree and I'm the same way, to a point. I am still using tools that are decades old on a daily basis and I save most of my old ones for parts. I also, unfortunately, have a bunch of tools that I intended to fix that have been sitting for years because the parts cost as much or more than replacing the tools. I wouldn't keep using that microwave without replacing the faulty switch because it's a potential safety hazard and I wouldn't leave my nice new A/C units in the shed to collect dust, mold, etc while using the old inefficient ones. Put the old ones up on free cycle or something so someone who can't afford a new one can use them(win/win).
Microwave hasn't been a REAL problem going on a year now.. same for fully boxed A/C units in the shed. We bought then when the pandemic started because we were afraid they might be hard to get due to factory shutdowns. If, by some weird breakdown of the integrity of our shed (It's not a plastic or metal shed. It's build just like our house). I'll either have them serviced or properly and regrettably dispose of them and replace them if needed. I highly doubt that will be a problem. I wouldn't call the older units "inefficient" either. I'd call them possibly slightly less efficient. You are looking for excuses to be wasteful. Microwave might be sketchy, but the breakers work for a reason. I'm definitely not disabling any true safety feature. Let's avoid un needed solutions looking for problems as a matter of convenience or additional comfort.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Microwave hasn't been a REAL problem going on a year now.. same for fully boxed A/C units in the shed. We bought then when the pandemic started because we were afraid they might be hard to get due to factory shutdowns. If, by some weird breakdown of the integrity of our shed (It's not a plastic or metal shed. It's build just like our house). I'll either have them serviced or properly and regrettably dispose of them and replace them if needed. I highly doubt that will be a problem. I wouldn't call the older units "inefficient" either. I'd call them possibly slightly less efficient. You are looking for excuses to be wasteful. Microwave might be sketchy, but the breakers work for a reason. I'm definitely not disabling any true safety feature. Let's avoid un needed solutions looking for problems as a matter of convenience or additional comfort.
LOL. You bought new AC units that you didn't need and are willing to throw them out but I'm the one looking for excuses to be wasteful. :roflmao: :roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
LOL. You bought new AC units that you didn't need and are willing to throw them out but I'm the one looking for excuses to be wasteful. :roflmao: :roflmao:
Oh we will need them.. only a matter of time. Window units last 3-5 years tops on average. We're at 5 on both of the ones about to fail. The fan rattles noisily for the first 5 minutes in one at start up. Other one takes a little longer to get cool.

What would be best for the microwave though would actually be to repair/replace the door switch. I did some research and it would cost about 75% of a new unit to pay someone to replace the switch. I'd do it myself but figuring out exactly which one is tricky so just don't pull the damned door open when it is running. Kids are 17 and 18 so it's no bog deal. They know the drill..

Sponsor