• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Current Liners in New Shells. Can it, should it be done?

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK Heres the story or start of a boot thread. Good analogy Phil back in the day I owned a 356 Porsche and replaced the seats.

In over 50 yrs of skiing I finally came up with a boot formula that was absolutely perfect. SO... had a pair of Lange Superblasters 26.5 102mm last, 310mm length that I really like but after about 5-6 year the liner was shot. Unfortunately 3 years ago my long time ski and race bud Ted Sorensen was killed at Squaw up on KT22 and so I came to Tahoe and Auburn for his funeral. Ted had been telling me for years to come to tahoe and get some new footbeds from Buck. So I saw Buck Brown at the funeral and in our conversations mentioned what Ted had told me. Buck, I am sure some of you know, is a really good skier. Used to own Java Mt. Sports up on old Hwy 40 almost to Sugar Bowl. And now own Olympic Bootwerks at Squaw Valley. Anyway stopped at his shop and got new footbeds and Intuition pro wrap liners. My old footbeds were 12 yrs old and my foot had changed. Bucks staff was great and spent some time with the proper fit etc.

These boots and the liner footbed setup became absolutely the best boots I have ever had on my feet. They were perfect. About 3 years later the boots got old, busted an ankle rivet, two buckles and cracked the plastic horizontally under the tongue.

So I need new boots. However, I did not and was not willing to give up the great fit. So instead of getting new boots and going from there I decided to try and get boots that were close to the Lange Superblasters in size etc. and drop my Intuitition liners and footbeds into the new shell. Probably see if I could sell the liner that came with boot if this works. First, did internet etc search for Superblasters about 2010 model. No luck in my size. Phil made a comment back when I was looking for SBlasters that I should get new boots as that would be better because of evolution of boots etc.

Talked to some people I know and ended up asking Buck Brown and he recommended Lange SX 120 102 last and this years they would be in his shop in Sept. I checked with Intuition and they responded to my inquiry and said yes, that quite a few skiers do just what I was asking. Intuition was very nice and gave me name and phone number etc. so when I actually did drop their liner in the new boots if there was any problem to call them.

So thats the story. Buck gave me a great price on new Lange boots and hope to get them in Sept and drop the Intuition liner and Bucks footbeds in and check them out in the luxury of my living room.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reminds me of when I skied in Flexons. I had the same pair for 25 years, I changed the liner 4 times and the shell 3 times, but they were the same Flexons. Enjoy the boots. I will say, though..you might neet to tweek them, like I had previously said the stance of the two boots is dramatically different. the Blaster has more ramp in the footbed and the cuff has much more forward lean. You might add a heel lift and a rear spoiler to get the stance closer to what you are used to.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I wondering about new liners in my current Krypton Pro boots... ???

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
We often sell customers new inner boots for their current shells as the shells usually outlast the liners. Many customers have come in looking to purchase new boots and leave with new custom liners and saving lots of money. Most of the after market liners we sell are remoldable so when their shells do wear out the liners can be moved into the new shells. Some may need to go through the remolding process while others will remold just by wearing and skiing in them. The Intuitions can be remolded but tend to shrink slightly in the process. I know many skiers who are on their fourth and fifth shells using the same Zipfit liner and it is still going strong. Most production stock liners will start to pack out after as little as thirty days of skiing.

Buck at Bootworks is a great guy and has his "Heel Lock" footbed system he does well with. His goal is to basically control the heel of the foot with a deep heel pocket and firmer posting around the heel allowing the forefoot more freedom to move unencumbered by any arch support. Makes good sense for many.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I put my previous boots' Intuition liners into my new boots. Remolded them; not sure if that was strictly necessary, though. In my case the Intuitions were already liners that didn't come with the previous boots. Anyway, I had to do this, as the stock liner left my feet as ice blocks even in barely-freezing temps. My feet are nice and warm in the Intuitions.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know many skiers who are on their fourth and fifth shells using the same Zipfit liner and it is still going strong. Most production stock liners will start to pack out after as little as thirty days of skiing.

My ZipFits are in their third shell and going strong. When I switched to a Head Raptor RS 140 late last season I skied the stock liner a few weeks. They skied fine. I dropped the Zips in "just to see." The Zips haven't been out since. They flat out work for me.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, getting Lange SX120 26.5 from Olympic Bootwerks and going to put my Intuition Pro Wrap liners into shells. Going the Intuition bootfitter at the Ski Shack in couer d alene and have done there. I communicated with Intuition and they were very informative and helpful and said basically there should be no problem doing this but did recommend as Buck did at the Bootwerks to go to have some one do the refit that knows what they are doing as far as the reheat etc.

Will get the boots in Sept and will post here how it goes. Probably have a stock liner for sale too.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, getting Lange SX120 26.5 from Olympic Bootwerks and going to put my Intuition Pro Wrap liners into shells. Going the Intuition bootfitter at the Ski Shack in couer d alene and have done there. I communicated with Intuition and they were very informative and helpful and said basically there should be no problem doing this but did recommend as Buck did at the Bootwerks to go to have some one do the refit that knows what they are doing as far as the reheat etc.

Will get the boots in Sept and will post here how it goes. Probably have a stock liner for sale too.

October 20th. Have new boots, Lange SX120 and went to ski shack and had Intuition liners reheated and put into new boots. For those in the Inland Northwest the Ski Shack in Hayden has the knowledge and equipment for footbeds and Intuition Liners. Two of the guys Rhen and Matt have been to the Master Fit clinics and do a good job. Had boots on for quite awhile in shop but toe cover CAP was still on so when I got home put boots on for about 30 mins and seemed good. Can't really tell till ski of course, but optimistic. Note. I got the SX120 which has a 102 last (toe width) which is quite a bit for me as I don't have a remarkably wide foot. The plus on this for me is 1) comfort, 2) I can move my toes around, 3) toes stay warmer since can move them 4) you can get away with this little extra toe room the Olympic Bootwerks footbed holds your heal and rest of foot in place so well that you can "cheat" AND give yourself a little toe freedom and comfort (see Bud's comments above). And 5th, I like when I need a little extra steering/rotary movement I can actually feel my toes/front of foot performing this function.

Anyway hoping all is well - will see when snow flies.

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern
Snowind is a bit closer drive?...

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We often sell customers new inner boots for their current shells as the shells usually outlast the liners. Many customers have come in looking to purchase new boots and leave with new custom liners and saving lots of money. Most of the after market liners we sell are remoldable so when their shells do wear out the liners can be moved into the new shells. Some may need to go through the remolding process while others will remold just by wearing and skiing in them. The Intuitions can be remolded but tend to shrink slightly in the process. I know many skiers who are on their fourth and fifth shells using the same Zipfit liner and it is still going strong. Most production stock liners will start to pack out after as little as thirty days of skiing.

My stock liners always seem to pack out after about 20 days. I have a pretty narrow foot. So, I have to get a custom liner. I have a great-fitting shell in my Tecnical Mach 1 105 LV's, but put in Boot Doctor custom foam liners near the end of last season, and so far, so good.

I did have the Zipfits in my Lange RS120's. However, a bootfitter told me they were forcing me too far forward due to the padding in the tongue. I LOVED them, though, and still have them.

What is your experience with Zipfits and skier stance?

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern
Too many variables to make a sweeping statement about Zip Fits affect on stance. I have never noticed changing to Zips presented any particular stance issues? Not sure how the padding in the tongue could force you too far forward? Lower leg angle can be changed if in fact the liner is causing an unwanted change in lower leg angle.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've tried all kinds of different FrankenBoots mixing liners and shells cross brand. Some worked out very well, Some were horrible hahaha! It's always worth a try but be prepared to fall back to the previous set up after a couple runs. If it ain't feeling tight and tolerable bail and swap them back and start over.. with a fitter preferably as discussed above.

Sponsor

Staff online