• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cush Core = tire destroyer?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
About a month ago we built up a Revel Rail for a customer. It had cush core inserts. He brought it in for service this week and I was like "damn dude let go of the brakes!" his tires were just shredded. Anyway, riding with a guy today who is on cush core and he said he has gone through 8 pairs of Inions this year and it is a known thing that your tires die fast if you use cush core. I hadn't heard of that before, but damn, 8 isets of minions is like $1500! Have any of you guys had experience with this? My hypothesis would be that the tires are so soft that they're is much more significant deformation of the rubber. The guy this morning had wrinkles in his sidewalls all the time.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I think it might be an issue with Minions recently. They seem to wear or get destroyed quickly. Mine with Cushcore have actually lasted longer, but my previous ones were all destroyed with sidewall tears.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
About a month ago we built up a Revel Rail for a customer. It had cush core inserts. He brought it in for service this week and I was like "damn dude let go of the brakes!" his tires were just shredded. Anyway, riding with a guy today who is on cush core and he said he has gone through 8 pairs of Inions this year and it is a known thing that your tires die fast if you use cush core. I hadn't heard of that before, but damn, 8 isets of minions is like $1500! Have any of you guys had experience with this? My hypothesis would be that the tires are so soft that they're is much more significant deformation of the rubber. The guy this morning had wrinkles in his sidewalls all the time.
Is it possible that people are just running with pressures that are too low and not realizing it due to the core? Never used that setup so this is pure speculation.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have used the same set of cushcores on my DH bike for 2.5 years, I have seen no drop in tire durability, t I probably get a little extra life out of the tires as the sidewalls remain supportive much longer.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it possible that people are just running with pressures that are too low and not realizing it due to the core? Never used that setup so this is pure speculation.

I think you've got it here.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What pressure do you Cush core riders use? I think these guys were at like 15 or even less and that is why they use Cush core. To facilitate the low pressure.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I run the DH 20-22psi both tires. I use the cushcores to protect rim, add significant damping to ride and hold tire on rim in harsh situations. I'd only run the tires 1-2 psi higher without them.

I will add, I've used several different tire liners on my trail bikes: FWIW-cushcores are the gold standard and the only ones worth using if you choose to go that route. All the things that make them nettlesome (weight, pain in the ass tight installation, bulk, and toughness sapping out tires) is also part of what makes them work so well. Generally speaking, on a rugged trail bike I'd only use them as rear tires (and presently I'm not using them on any trail bikes) . But for enduro/ park/ free ride/ DH they are gamechangers

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What pressure do you Cush core riders use? I think these guys were at like 15 or even less and that is why they use Cush core. To facilitate the low pressure.

Even with cush core using that low a pressure on a 2.3~2.4 tire will destroy it since the tire will be deforming much more in use. So its more of a fault of the low pressure.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Not sure if I’m disappointed with minions or CC. I’ve destroyed 3 minions this season like this prior to installing CC. Yesterday’s was the first with a cc installed.
D54D86D1-8D0D-4570-B227-E25973851A5E.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January