• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Custom footbeds, take 'em out?

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
It hasn't arrived yet, so just the felt stock footbed.
I have NorthSole minimilast foot beds coming, I'll glue the Barr under those.

Just not sure where to put the bump. Do you know?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
It hasn't arrived yet, so just the felt stock footbed.
I have NorthSole minimilast foot beds coming, I'll glue the Barr under those.

Just not sure where to put the bump. Do you know?
As I recall under the second metatarsal head. I did suggest to Tom that you and I would appreciate a video on setting up the Barr footbed. He asked what specifically we would like to see...

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
A more flat footbed would put me more forward.
I'm not convinced that is always true. In my boots I experimented by adding layers of 2mm foam sheet to the top of the boot board. In my situation it improved my fore and aft balance.
Opening the ankle to match boot flex and stiffness is part of the picture, I think each skier has a unique "sweet spot" that is not always easy to hit (thus some need constant tinkering).
Not sure if this is a perfect analogy: women in high heels likely have more pressure on the balls of their feet than if they were in sandals.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just curious, but is anyone here throwing out their footbeds on snow full time?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I've been contemplating it, but am not convinced about it.

Tom Gellie makes a lot of sense about the role of the arches of the feet and the fine motor control that arises from using them. One of our trainers has just missed making the demo team the last couple of times is now being coached by a WC coach who took his footbed and sanded most of the support out of it. But at my age (63) and having worn orthotics for 30 years, I'm not convinced that I have the foot strength to ski all day, let alone 100 days a season, without an orthotic.

Last week I was at a ski camp with a bunch of the demo team members. Josh Fogg watched me ski then said that he's been working out a theory that the reason many of the older candidates for Level 3 (me, I guess) may be having difficulty because of the loss of foot strength. As he was coaching another group, I didn't have the opportunity to explore this, but I'll ski with him in a couple of weeks and intend to do so. In the meantime, I've started a routine working on building foot strength, but I'm a bit of an unguided missile, as what element of foot strength is missing? My PT gave me a simple exercise (picking up marbles with my toes), but what element of foot strength is really the key to higher level skiing?

So, I've got a pair of Barr running carbon fiber footboards (they are flat except for a bump that goes under the second metatarsal head) sitting on my counter. Given how much cant I require in my boots and the twist in my lower leg, I'm still sitting here wondering if it is a good idea to dump the footbed...

Mike

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....My PT gave me a simple exercise (picking up marbles with my toes), but what element of foot strength is really the key to higher level skiing?....
Mike, did you watch Tom's video on Bombproof Ankles and Knees? It's full of barefoot exercises which focus on the foot and ankle complex with spill-over results for the knees. Each exercise is a 20-second motionless hold with obvious applicability to skiing. Tom is actually huffing and puffing while doing some of these. They might be just the thing for your feet.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
@markojp day 2 for me and I will probably not go back. I just got my NorthSole insoles today which have a nice cushion feeling to them. Will glue the carbon fiber under it, Gellie says that it makes initiation easier, not sure how.

But for me after about 20,000 easy vertical feet I'm liking it.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Not me, as I said above I have skied all three positions, none, manufacturers, and my customs. Once my boots have broken in, I only want my customs.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I do want to add, that I have ZipFit liners and they have molded to my foot, so perhaps they are serving a bit of the custom orthotics purpose that a stock liner wouldn't.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I do want to add, that I have ZipFit liners and they have molded to my foot, so perhaps they are serving a bit of the custom orthotics purpose that a stock liner wouldn't.

Glad they're working out for you. You do make a good point that the boot fit, especially the liners, certainly can make a big improvement on the level of control you will have; custom footbed or not.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January