• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cut proof speed suits

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Most of the suits have gap areas, due to the nature of the fabric, to let it flex. Unfortunately these areas are often at the back of the knees, and groin areas.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hinter voice won't be a problem since she tore her ACL a few days later. But yeah, I had all those same thoughts as you which is why I asked his coach what brand of suit where it was cut and if it was a cut proof panel that got cut.
Sorry to hear, that injury could have been caused by the hinter brain playing tricks. Hopefully she gets over both.

Took me a while and that was the time I got the kevlar plastron (underarm protection), helped but still took a while to overcome the hesitation.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am going to re-surface this thread, as I have recently tried both the Sync and Vix Protection cut-resistant leggings for wear under speed suits, as well ski pants.

Between these two, the Vix Protection if substantially more comfortable...

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is the Vix one certified at all? The Sync one has been certified under both the American and the European standards, but the Vix site doesn't mention anything of the sort. It still might work, but personally, I'd rather not be wondering on something like this.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
My u12 has the sync base layer pants. She complains about the comfort and really doesn’t like to wear them due to the discomfort. Im looking for other options for next season.

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
I ski/race tele which comes with leashes and have been skiing with kevlar motorcyle long underwear on the bottoms. I started when I noticed a few things:

1. I have carbon splinters in my calf from wiping out with powder skis. Don't remember the event but it made me realize there is a sharp edge in that neighborhood as well.
2. My knee pads were actually cut by an edge, if it hadn't been for the hard plastic I think a tendon could have been cut. It also sliced cleanly through the nylon strap. Not the crash that delivered the carbon splinter.
3. I don't recall the skis releasing for either event, tele bindings don't generally release in standard crashes, if they release it means they are broken. But the free heel means that the ski can get in weird places, e.g. you can face plant on your skis and not have them release. Lots of tele skiers wear knee pads to protect against banging the knee hard on the top sheet which I have also done.

Some thoughts on the kevlar long underwear
1. The motorcycle underwear is a loose weave that looks nothing like standard kevlar, it is yellow and flexes just fine. Basically the same as wearing regular long underwear in terms of bulk and comfort.
2. An informal test with a ski edge failed. If I pulled very hard I could get it to cut. For that reason, I won't suggest them. They were less than $200 https://www.webbikeworld.com/draggin-liners-review/, I don't think they are made anymore.

I got on sale last year's POC baselayer: 2020 POC Cut Resistant Base Layer Pant × 1. I'll probably wear both layers. The POCs seem totally comfortable and flex fine, hopefully they breathe. They size small, I got XL and I'd guess they were on the small side of a large.

I definitely have a different risk profile than alpine skiers so that probably makes a big difference.

thanks

Breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
From https://www.fedewenzelski.com/advanced-skiing-10-key-tips-to-help-you-achieve-higher-edge-angles/

Mr. Lightly looks like he would appreciate some kevlar undies...

1661123205348.png

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Where on the body do cuts from ski edges when falling tend to occur? The examples mentioned here were legs/hamstrings, is that a pattern (or just happens to be the cases mentioned here)?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Where on the body do cuts from ski edges when falling tend to occur? The examples mentioned here were legs/hamstrings, is that a pattern (or just happens to be the cases mentioned here)?
I know of two people who were cut severely with skis, both were inside thigh area.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ski cuts are one of the reasons (major reason?) we have to have 'stop the bleed' kits at every USSS race and ski patrol at the arena.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Ski cuts are one of the reasons (major reason?) we have to have 'stop the bleed' kits at every USSS race and ski patrol at the arena.
primary reason, IMO.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm under the impression that part of the equation is usually a released ski under a racer, with the racer inadvertently putting their weight on the edge of said ski. Both anecdotally and in my head, that seems more likely to happen with a ski under the lower body, but not to the point of ruling out an upper-body injury.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've gone through the sleeve of a jacket before. Have also had a ski land on the back of my head. So either anywhere is possible, or I'm just an idiot.

Sponsor

Staff online