• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cutting Guide for Ski Poles?

DoggParadox

Booting up
Skier
I'm quite particular about having things perfect so would love to ensure that when I cut down my poles I can get them almost perfectly 90 degrees.

I'm wondering if anyone makes a cutting guide or something similar for ski poles?

I know Park Tools makes them for bike components (steer tubes and handle bars) but all the info I can find suggests that minium clamping diameter is 22mm (the size of bike handlebars at the grips) and I don't have a set to try.

Wondering if there's anything ski specific for 16mm jobs.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I fully understand your angst. I cut mine 3 times and they are still too short. :nono:

Aluminum poles - tubing cutter or hack saw.
Composite poles - masking tape the cut line. Hack saw.
Unless you are super spastic, free hand is usually good enough.

When I am home, I usually use a portable band saw.
One of these knocks it out in no time at all. .
1664507067984.png

BTW, there is no universal truth when it comes to pole length. 90° may be great for you but will suck for someone else. The proper length is whatever make you smile.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Rumors of a pole grip mounting jig? Hand held hacksaw is sufficient or a similar blade for jigsaw or sawzall

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be more worried about getting the grip off than if my cut was a perfect 90*. The cutting is the "easy" part.

This thread should include the process of getting the grips off as well. You engineer guys have some unique/but very good methods to do lots of stuff.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had several threads on the grip removal and pole cutting process in the forum previously.

Here is one.
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/removing-LEKI-trigger-grips-from-carbon-poles.9642/

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don't worry just cut them them. What would be different if they are 90.0000 degrees or 89.9, or hell... even 45 (anyone who would miss it that much, really shouldn't be anywhere near any kind of tools :D). You stick grip with ton of glue over it anyway, so it really doesn't matter if it's slightly off (this comes from guy who was back in his days cutting carbon xc ski poles with bread knife already (it was panic before the one of World cup races and no other tool was around)... and who just yesterday shortened stearer tube on 1200eur worth mtb forks with handheld electric angle grinder :D)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Once the grips are on a little bobble won't be noticed. Depending on the grip soaking it in really hot water for a few minutes will help get it off. A little hair spray to get it back on.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Plumbing pipe cutters work great for aluminum-just be sure you don’t over tighten the cutter initially as you can crush the end out of round.
I recently helped my brother shorten some furniture legs that were about 2 inch diameter metal tubes. We used a large pipe cutter since he didn't have an appropriate saw (other than a hacksaw, and that would have taken forever). The first one we got impatient and tightened the pipe cutter too quickly, bending the wall inward at the cut. We were still able to get the endcap in, so it was fine. Lesson learned, though.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
An adjustable wrench set to just clear the tube diameter can give another way to apply force on the grip.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I'd be more worried about getting the grip off than if my cut was a perfect 90*. The cutting is the "easy" part.

This thread should include the process of getting the grips off as well. You engineer guys have some unique/but very good methods to do lots of stuff.
I just make ski pole soup. Simmer it lightly for 5-10 min then pull it off.

Important detail: discard the soup

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Grip ends in hot water for a few minutes. Pretty easy.

Reactions: BC.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The 90 deg was a reference to the angle of the forearms holding the pole surely rather than the angle of the cut?

Me, my engineering solution is called fliklocks.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Many moons ago @Philpug wrote an informative article on Ski Pole Calibration..

Sponsor

Staff online