• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything but wouldn't surprise me considering the age of their lifts.

TS
J

johnny_v

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I heard it when we were up there getting our season passes a couple weeks ago. Some at Ski Pro have heard the same.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wonder if they would still let you hike to that terrain, if so it might not be such a bad thing. The hike from the Apache Peak ski runs looks really short and easy from what I can tell and there is a service road at the bottom of the steep pitch with the three balck runs on it that takes you back to the Apache Peak lift.. You could have your own fresh lines all day long with that sort of set up. Heck, I'd rather do those private-ish laps than ride that long and slow chairlift that only accesses one good short pitch with a super long flat run out. A little hiking time is way better than chair time imho.

I also wonder how much Snowbowl is tapping into their market now.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
D9E64C2D-4D06-4902-B315-22990C84BB24.jpeg The more I think about it this makes me almost want to go check out Sunrise for a powder day but that’s not really going to happen, not when we have lines like this in our back yard....

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 32401 The more I think about it this makes me almost want to go check out Sunrise for a powder day but that’s not really going to happen, not when we have lines like this in our back yard....

I've chased a few powder days out there and you can have plenty of fun. The negatives are the slow lifts and the fact that all the trees are technically out of bounds but the place holds powder for days after a storm. Snowbowl seems to get skied out in minutes since the new lift was put in. The only thing Sunrise has left on Snowbowl is general lack of crowds. Apache and Cyclone lifts are old af retrofitted Yan chairs that should've been replaced many years ago. If the tribe doesn't start investing soon it is going to be a sad operation out there.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heard from Sunrise patrol friend they are just replacing the cable on Cyclone. He is going to get the update this weekend when he is up there.

TS
J

johnny_v

Skier
Heard from Sunrise patrol friend they are just replacing the cable on Cyclone. He is going to get the update this weekend when he is up there.

Did you get confirmation on the cable replacement?

tachedub

Booting up
Skier
I heard at Skipro that it didn't pass inspection. Sure would help if it were replaced with an express. The resort sure could use that kind of upgrade to boost business.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I heard at Skipro that it didn't pass inspection. Sure would help if it were replaced with an express. The resort sure could use that kind of upgrade to boost business.

Resort? Haha!

But seriously, you will be better off having it closed, it looks like a quick 5 minute hike from the other pod to get to the top of Cyclone and then a short and easy traverse back below the steep terrain. Now you can skip the long boring run outs and not have to ride that painfully slow chair ride. think about it, fresh tracks for a couple days after a storm.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
A short t-bar install to top of cyclone would at least keep "lift access".

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Talked to my Sunrise patrol buddy last night. Big changes are in the works due to a new operations manager who is pushing them to invest in new infrastructure. Cyclone will be down this season due to a bad cable and they are looking into getting a 20 person cat to operate out there as others have stated. It will be an additional cost on top of lift ticket. For next season they are looking at replacing Cyclone and Apache chairs and adding a gondola along with some new surface lifts. Guess where the old Hart Prairie lift is going? It was going to be $500,000 to fix the Cyclone cable so they have decided to bite the bullet instead and get the ski area setup properly for the future. I am stoked to hear this and can't wait to see the changes.

TS
J

johnny_v

Skier
Talked to my Sunrise patrol buddy last night. Big changes are in the works due to a new operations manager who is pushing them to invest in new infrastructure. Cyclone will be down this season due to a bad cable and they are looking into getting a 20 person cat to operate out there as others have stated. It will be an additional cost on top of lift ticket. For next season they are looking at replacing Cyclone and Apache chairs and adding a gondola along with some new surface lifts. Guess where the old Hart Prairie lift is going? It was going to be $500,000 to fix the Cyclone cable so they have decided to bite the bullet instead and get the ski area setup properly for the future. I am stoked to hear this and can't wait to see the changes.

Anyone have info on what Sunrise is planning to do about Cyclone this season?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone have info on what Sunrise is planning to do about Cyclone this season?

People on Facebook are saying the lift is done for good. The fact that the tribe isn't advertising a new lift and that they raised season pass prices this year does not bode well. I'm going to try to get out there for a few days this season if conditions permit and buy some day tickets. I wonder if they could sell to Coleman?

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
People on Facebook are saying the lift is done for good. The fact that the tribe isn't advertising a new lift and that they raised season pass prices this year does not bode well. I'm going to try to get out there for a few days this season if conditions permit and buy some day tickets. I wonder if they could sell to Coleman?
That sucks. I guess with last year's disaster, they can no longer afford to do the improvements you mentioned upthread. It looks also like their season ticket prices are... kinda high for the mountain that it is. Hope they have a decent year and can get back on top of things. I always really liked that place.

Did anybody let the Apaches know that they can sell old lift chairs for a few hundred a pop? Every little bit helps. I'd buy one. It would give me an excuse to head out there, and it would mean something to me since that is a resort I have fond once-upon-a-time memories of.

TS
J

johnny_v

Skier
That sucks. I guess with last year's disaster, they can no longer afford to do the improvements you mentioned upthread. It looks also like their season ticket prices are... kinda high for the mountain that it is. Hope they have a decent year and can get back on top of things. I always really liked that place.

Did anybody let the Apaches know that they can sell old lift chairs for a few hundred a pop? Every little bit helps. I'd buy one. It would give me an excuse to head out there, and it would mean something to me since that is a resort I have fond once-upon-a-time memories of.

We went up on Saturday to get season passes with the kids. Unlike years past, the place was dead. We were told the Cyclone chair will not be in service this season. Apparently they have hired a new GM that resides in the valley but she was not there for the Saturday promo day...not a good sign. For the sake of surrounding communities that rely heavily on the winter business revenue generated by skiers and boarders, let’s hope the tribe can turn things around.

tachedub

Booting up
Skier
Kind of aggravating to hear that what we were expecting, appears to be happening. Was hoping for good news but not really expecting the tribe to start making good decisions all of the sudden. So much untapped potential there.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We went up on Saturday to get season passes with the kids. Unlike years past, the place was dead. We were told the Cyclone chair will not be in service this season. Apparently they have hired a new GM that resides in the valley but she was not there for the Saturday promo day...not a good sign. For the sake of surrounding communities that rely heavily on the winter business revenue generated by skiers and boarders, let’s hope the tribe can turn things around.

I saw my Sunrise patrol buddy last weekend and he too blamed all the issues on the new management. He said a lot of the long time patrol guys aren't coming back this season due to the problems.

TS
J

johnny_v

Skier
I saw my Sunrise patrol buddy last weekend and he too blamed all the issues on the new management. He said a lot of the long time patrol guys aren't coming back this season due to the problems.

Rumor has it, the new GM doesn’t have ski industry experience but has the experience of running a coffee shop in the Valley that is no longer in business...sounds suspicious. Maybe the tribe should reach out to the Chamber of Commerce from Show Low and/or Pinetop for some local insight and form a partnership to develop a strategy for success.

Sponsor

Staff online