• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dad’s Top Ten Winter Driving Tips

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Didn't see a separate thread in the beginner area for this. And PLEASE don't turn this in to an argument over what kind of tires to buy. This is really for folks who definitely do NOT already have legit snow tires yet.. getting caught in an unexpected snow/ice event. It's intended for folks NEW to skiing who may have never driven in the snow, or not very much. They can/should winterize their ski trip rig when they're hooked.

Started this today for my daughter who's not driven in snow and stays home and doesn't want to go out and practice on the rare occasions we do get snow and ice here. The Emergency Kit is the winter specific things IN ADDITION to the regular jumper cables flares, et that are already in the typical emergency kit.

Trying to keep it all to ONE page and not tiny font.
Dad’s Top Ten Winter Driving Tips

1. Clear ALL the snow off the roof and hood of your car. It can break the windshield of the car behind you when it blows off while you’re driving.
  2. Bridges, overpasses, and puddles will be icy when cold
  3. GENTLE motions on the steering. Brakes, and gas pedal, drive with a light touch on all controls
  4. Take your feet off the gas and brake pedals and just steer through it if you are starting to slide sidewasys.
  5. Slow down a LOT 50-100 feet BEFORE intersections and places you may need to stop.
  6. Build up momentum, speed UP some before going up a hill, enough speed to coast up the hill.
  7. Do NOT stop partway up a hill. You might get stuck and have to back down the hill and try to get up it again.
  8. Try not to stop COMPLETELY on ice at intersections if you can slowly coast through them, even stop signs. If you stop your wheels might not bite enough to start out again.
  9. When the main lanes of the road are packed snow and ice, drive a little off that icy part with right 2 wheels in the snow next to the packed down ice for better traction.
  10. Make sure your phone is fully charged, washer fluid full, and gas tank topped off. You can get stuck in a traffic jam that lasts hours/all night to clear.

Emergency Kit for Long Road Trips

Blanket/sleeping bag

Some food and water

Can and candle to make water out of snow

Spare cell phone battery

Kitty litter for traction

Gloves

Folding shovel

Snow boots​

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Understand and agree there are more advanced things, hundreds of them like have chains and know how to put them on (if no snow tires), etc.. Those are welcome suggestions but not something MANDATORY for a noob.. possibly with a rental car on their very first ski trip.. But having a full tank of gas with food and water to wait out the weather is definitely important for every road trip where snow is a possibility or likely.

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
Sorry, couldn’t resist that one. I do think this is a great list. Did a similar thing for my son when he was learning to drive. That and reps in snowy and icy parking lots and isolated roads. Critical skills here on Maine.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Stopping behind another vehicle, leave more space than normal.
When at a light or stop sign, stay back a few extra feet; just in case somebody coming from another direction decides to occupy that space.
If things get intense; slow down. This leaves you more time to react.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I would also add, test traction when you can. I'll often do brake and corner tests when traffic allows. Gives you an idea of how much traction is available. Better to know before you need to know
I endorse this. However, road conditions vary greatly in Winter. Run it easy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great list. From my dad: Drive like there are eggs between your feet and the pedals.

Not much different from what @slowrider posted while I was typing: RUN IT EASY.

One thing I just thought of... TOP OFF THE WASHER FLUID!

Funny. As a kid, this wasn't such a huge deal. With the amount of deicer used these days, it has become essential!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If the asphalt all of a sudden looks shiny at night, it could be a sheet of ice.

Some type of advice about changing lanes in crud and slush on the highway.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Besides leaving enough room to stop, leave enough room in front of you for the person behind you to stop - assume he/she has bad tires.

I always keep an extra jug of windshield washer fluid in the car, along with a shovel, also I have some traction aids (never used). The full tank of gas helps with vehicle dynamics.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would also add, test traction when you can. I'll often do brake and corner tests when traffic allows. Gives you an idea of how much traction is available. Better to know before you need to know

Ya, that's why I have the slow down way before you reach a place you might need to stop.. That is suggested as a test of the pavement conditions near the intersection ahead.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Also, "take feet off pedals when going sideways". should probably include a comment in the discussion NO CRUISE CONTROL!
Cruise control is especially treacherous with an automatic, especially if your cruize control is set up to provide engine braking if you exceed the set speed going down a hill, like modern ones are. On the other hand with front wheel drive and a standard, engine braking can be just as bad, if not worse when you take you foot of the gas, at least the cruize control just trys to maintain the same speed - not so bad if there's no downshift involved going around that uphill left hander. Maybe don't try to speed up or slow down would be better, but now it's getting too complicated.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
-Look at the depth of tire tread your tires have. If 5/32" or less, don't go out in ice or snow. Put a quarter into the tread, Washington's head down toward the tire. If part of his head is covered by the tread, you're OK.
-#4...When skidding steer in the direction you want to go. (We won't agree on what "steer through it" means.)
-Practice braking with ABS...anti lock braking system. Don't lift your foot off the pedal when the pedal pushes back. Hold the pedal down and steer where you need to go.
-SLOW DOWN. The real speed limit for you is the speed you can go safely, not what's on the sign, nor what others are doing.
-Greatly increase the distance you follow another car.
-Have tire chains or other traction devices with you, and practice putting them on at home.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
-Look at the depth of tire tread your tires have. If 5/32" or less, don't go out in ice or snow. Put a quarter into the tread, Washington's head down toward the tire. If part of his head is covered by the tread, you're OK.
-#4...When skidding steer in the direction you want to go. (We won't agree on what "steer through it" means.)
-Practice braking with ABS...anti lock braking system. Don't lift your foot off the pedal when the pedal pushes back. Hold the pedal down and steer where you need to go.
-SLOW DOWN. The real speed limit for you is the speed you can go safely, not what's on the sign, nor what others are doing.
-Greatly increase the distance you follow another car.
-Have tire chains or other traction devices with you, and practice putting them on at home.
Ya, hopefully "Dad" is making sure the basic vehicle is roadworthy... same with a rental car. Neither should send their kids/customer out on shitty bald tires. And this is a conversation guide, not infallible. It need to be high level simple, not pages of smaller font..

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Also, give even more distance behind a car with snow on the roof or an 18 wheeler... Those 18 wheelers can have massive ice bergs on top about to blow off and crush the car following too closely behind.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
This!!
And make sure both windshield washing fluids and coolant is winter rated.
Having your windshield washer fluid freeze on your windshield is extremely dangerous.