• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dahu Ecorce 01 120 Ski Boot

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dahu-Ski-Boots-SkiTalk-Slider-Pugliese.jpeg

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Dahu Ecorce 01 120 Skiboot. Please add to the discussion here.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, this could be an interesting option for some fellow ski patrollers with limited flexibility. :)

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Thought this was a good idea but then I would have to carry the shells in addition to poles and skis I already drag around.

If there was some kind of minimal foldable shoulder bag for the shells that could also carry poles (via velcro) it might be doable. Would help if it's thin enough to slip in a pants or jacket pocket. And have some hook so I can hang it in a ski rack (next to skis and poles) while having beers at après.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From the review:
"...suggested to start with the boot in the Grilamid exoframe before putting your foot in"

Doesn't that defeat the whole benefit of having a walkable inner?

Perhaps it's better to think of this as a traditional ski boot with a light-weighted shell and a new closure system.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
From the review:
"...suggested to start with the boot in the Grilamid exoframe before putting your foot in"

Doesn't that defeat the whole benefit of having a walkable inner?

I don't see why it would?

AFAICT, they're just telling you that the tight liner locks to the shell better than the loose liner locks to your socked foot. That's pretty much a good thing, overall, no?

What am I missing?

Perhaps it's better to think of this as a traditional ski boot with a light-weighted shell and a new closure system.

Hence the question I asked above.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah - beyond those with specific biomechanical limitations for putting on a boot I don't really get the use case for such boots. It's not walking from the lot or après because it really isn't hard to stash a pair of sneakers. I admit I am biased by my experience in testing Apex which were truly horrid.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I don't really get the use case for such boots.
Maybe those on a budget overseas ski trip who packed minimally and don't have a car and have accommodation far from the resort with long distance walk in the cold.

Could be a good pairing with Elan Voyagers for even more minimal packing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What am I missing?
That these type of boots are usually marketed as a way to just wear the liner all day and walk around all you want, and easily step in and out of the frame/shell. If you have to take off the liner and put it in the frame/shell first, the convenience is largely gone.

Now from the write-up, I'd guess that Dahu doesn't tout these quite the same way (as Apex does). But I wonder if potential buyers will still think that way?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I admit I am biased by my experience in testing Apex which were truly horrid.
My experience with Apex was not horrid but there was nothing positive enough to even consider going out and buying a pair. For me, the Apex had too much disconnect to the snow were the skiing equivilent of wearing a raincoat in the shower. I would much sooner ski the Nordica HF110 Now the Dahu actually skied very well, much better than I thought it would. If you take a look at the ABB review, their reviewers were also ver impressed.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you have to take off the liner and put it in the frame/shell first, the convenience is largely gone.

Is it?
I mean how hard is it to take off a loosened-lace liner and put it in the shell?
It also lets you sweep any debris/gum/cigarettebutts/doggie do off the soles and not ski with it?

I mean of course it isn't as convenient as stepping into Crocs, but mules don't exactly ski well.

*yes, I am chuffed that Augment have done away with danger of confusion :)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nah, this will make the insides of the shells all dirty. There will be sand and mud and whatnot and it will creak and it will drive me mad.

Yes, the Dahu has more straps, cables and positional needs than an afternoon at Ms. Samantha’s Dominatrix Dungeon. But again if you are into this type of thing, the results can be rewarding.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ace!

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes.

I mean how hard is it to take off a loosened-lace liner and put it in the shell?
Not that hard - but it's extra steps, might involve finding a place to sit, or balancing with your socked foot hovering, etc.

Granted, pointing out that you might need to clean off the soles after walking around for lunch before stepping into the frames adds a little inconvenience too. But if I'm going to sacrifice any performance from a regular boot in order to be able to walk around comfortably (and I might be) I'm going to want a lot of convenience.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I think this boot can be a good addition to the boot quiver as an overseas boot. Picture the Dahu replacing the Roxa boots in Elan's marketing photo below.

The "good enough" Elan ski paired with "good enough" Dahu boots would make for a light travel setup in lieu of renting. I can see baselayers, midlayers, socks, undies, toiletries and change of clothes fitting in the spaces between poles and skis in 2nd photo.

I am now seriously considering this setup for overseas holiday where I don't really want to learn how to ski but just want to enjoy après+recreational skiing or if the ski holiday is just an addition to a multicity holiday.

The Dahu boot liner "boot" can double as a walking boot for when conditions get wet and cold and snowy during the multicity trip.
1665183983003.png

1665184154505.png

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Fellow patroller will skiing them this season and also another person I know in the Midwest will be skiing a pair. It will be interesting to here both hand accounts. Both skiers are very well accomplished skiers too.

Sponsor

Staff online