• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Day hikes and other non-wheeled adventures on trails.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
With (most) of snow gone even higher up in mountains, and after spending whole bunch (too much) of time on mtb lately, it's finally time to open proper mountain running season :) I had this route in my mind for long time, but as I was thinking it's just relatively flat undemanding trail around my favorite skimo/freeride mountain in winter, I always postponed it as always something nicer and more demanding came into play. Well yesterday, when I was completely dead from pretty long and hard Saturday's mtb tour, I said this "easy" trail will be just perfect, so it finally happened. First red flag about "easy" should ring bells when I made track and it shower 1000m of ascend in first 7km. But it didn't bother me at that time, so some 14km around mountain should be fairly easy, 1000m of ascend or not, right? :roflmao:
Start was actually pretty great, and first 4km were really easy run with only 250m of ascend which I didn't even notice, partly also because I was too busy trying to overtake hordes of people on way to first hut.
20230709_101812.jpg

But next 3km with 800m of ascen were pretty damn bad :) But at least views were one of nicest you can get around here :)
20230709_111533.jpg

20230709_111933.jpg

Once I reached other side of mountain, and when I thought it was just short easy run down, things didn't get much easier either, but views were still amazing, and looking back at track where I came looked pretty cool too (you can actually see trail over that huge pile of stones and across the wall.

20230709_121815.jpg

And when I was already wondering if this trail will ever end, there was finally familiar hut in sight (that little part of roof in top left third of photo). From there on it's really only some 3km and 400m down to car.
20230709_122357.jpg

I know better for next time that maybe it's not bad to check trail a bit more when planning it, not just rely on "i think it shouldn't be much if it's going just around the mountain", and not just dismiss ascend data as oh it can't be that bad :roflmao: But thing is, trail was super nice, views were really amazing, so being more or less dead on the end was just fine. It was worth going around, even if it was "slightly" harder then I expected :)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
About a week ago I went on an eight mile hike along the C & O Canal Towpath with my 78 year old brother, shown here at Great Falls on the Potomac River. This spot is on the Maryland side of the river about 15 miles west of downtown Washington DC.
great falls june 2023.jpg

My brother is from SoCal. He was visiting the area to bury his wife of 48 years in Arlington National Cemetery. He did 20 years USMC Infantry. Once a grunt, always a grunt, he's planning to do the 500 mile Way of St. James in Spain starting in late August. He's spent the last five years in heavy duty caregiver mode for his wife, so this is a new goal to help him regroup and move forward.

If he sends me some good photos from Europe maybe I'll post a few in this thread.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the 500 mile Way of St. James in Spain starting in late August
My daughter did that at age 19. Alone. Starting in February. With no Spanish.

It was a crazy thing to do and I was not big on the idea. Then again I wasn't really consulted. In any case I was and am very proud of her for that accomplishment.

I hope your brother finds it rewarding and cathartic. I expect he will. Watch the Sheen family movie about it. It's nice.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With (most) of snow gone even higher up in mountains, and after spending whole bunch (too much) of time on mtb lately, it's finally time to open proper mountain running season :) I had this route in my mind for long time, but as I was thinking it's just relatively flat undemanding trail around my favorite skimo/freeride mountain in winter, I always postponed it as always something nicer and more demanding came into play. Well yesterday, when I was completely dead from pretty long and hard Saturday's mtb tour, I said this "easy" trail will be just perfect, so it finally happened. First red flag about "easy" should ring bells when I made track and it shower 1000m of ascend in first 7km. But it didn't bother me at that time, so some 14km around mountain should be fairly easy, 1000m of ascend or not, right? :roflmao:
Start was actually pretty great, and first 4km were really easy run with only 250m of ascend which I didn't even notice, partly also because I was too busy trying to overtake hordes of people on way to first hut.
View attachment 207193

But next 3km with 800m of ascen were pretty damn bad :) But at least views were one of nicest you can get around here :)
View attachment 207194

View attachment 207195

Once I reached other side of mountain, and when I thought it was just short easy run down, things didn't get much easier either, but views were still amazing, and looking back at track where I came looked pretty cool too (you can actually see trail over that huge pile of stones and across the wall.

View attachment 207196

And when I was already wondering if this trail will ever end, there was finally familiar hut in sight (that little part of roof in top left third of photo). From there on it's really only some 3km and 400m down to car.
View attachment 207197

I know better for next time that maybe it's not bad to check trail a bit more when planning it, not just rely on "i think it shouldn't be much if it's going just around the mountain", and not just dismiss ascend data as oh it can't be that bad :roflmao: But thing is, trail was super nice, views were really amazing, so being more or less dead on the end was just fine. It was worth going around, even if it was "slightly" harder then I expected :)
Beautiful.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We like to do a 14'er each summer. Strictly hikes, we are not taking on anything that requires mountaineering skills.

It started with Mt. Elbert in 2019. (i'm behind the camera in this one)
w-1020081.jpg

Redcloud in 2020
w-1020541.jpg

Handies in 2021
w-1030492.jpg

Grays and Torreys in 2022 (I had to abandon the second summit as I was feeling a bit of altitude sickness. The rest of my party completed the two-fer.
w-152400038.jpg

August we will return to Colorado to take on Mt. Bierstadt.

Attachments

• w-1020048.jpg
    w-1020048.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 2

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Along with the other stuff, we found time to take a little hike in the Alps last summer.

w-7130439.jpg

w-7180641.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online