• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deb Armstrong Conditioning Videos with John Leffler

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been a big fan of Deb's videos for awhile now. She just released this series which focus on conditioning but not in the realm that one would think. It's more about mimicking the movements a high-level skier makes on the hill--the angles, the stacking, muscles engaged, etc. The first video I've been trying to do some of the exercises but I don't have the perfect equipment at home for it so my hands get really tired, but I"m working up to it.

This second video is the one that I think has the potential to really do some good for me. I feel the counter necessary to balance on the outside ski. Even more interestingly, my right knee that had the tibial plateau fracture in winter 2015 hurts when I do this which makes me wonder how much I've been compensating all this time. I'm going to keep doing the exercises to see if I can develop enough strength in that realm that it no longer hurts. I'm happy to say that I am able to do all of them in good balance--I've got the ability, I just need to figure out how to do it while in motion on skis.

She is also in a video interview with Tom Gellie talking about how she just can't do the things she used to be able to when she was younger when she could get away with a lot due to her age. Now, she has to really pay attention to her off-season fitness and know that she has limitations now that she didn't used to. I need to hear this as someone who is also in my 50s and facing the realities of getting older.

Anyway, I found the videos to be interesting and informative. I'm not done watching them all but will do so sometime this week.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Something that grabbed my attention in the first video - a skier seems to tip inward for an outside observer, but for the skier (in their world, in their reference frame) this is standing on the ski, perpendicular to the topsheets. Makes a lot of sense, though I never thought about it that way before. I’ll be playing around with that, particularly for finding the right amount of hip angulation (not too much).

If someone is good with video editing - would be interesting to see some skiing footage with the frame fixed to the ski topsheets (so the ground tips back and forth, not the skis)

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Something that grabbed my attention in the first video - a skier seems to tip inward for an outside observer, but for the skier (in their world, in their reference frame) this is standing on the ski, perpendicular to the topsheets. Makes a lot of sense, though I never thought about it that way before. I’ll be playing around with that, particularly for finding the right amount of hip angulation (not too much).

If someone is good with video editing - would be interesting to see some skiing footage with the frame fixed to the ski topsheets (so the ground tips back and forth, not the skis)
I like how when leaning against the ball on the wall with it to my side, I can feel how to tip both knees and the counter that my body naturally develops in order to balance. If you keep your arm off the ball like he instructs in the video, it points the torso and shoulders at what feels is just the right angle. I really struggle with tipping my inside foot outward and I am now feeling the sensation that I'm absolutely not putting enough weight on my outside foot. It's so much easier for me to feel this when I'm not moving across snow. I plan to double up the reps on my left side, which is quite a bit weaker.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@MissySki, I did start a thread on Deb's fitness videos. Here it is!

Thanks!! I watched the first two videos quickly before heading into another Zoom meeting, but will need to go back and watch them again for sure. What have you used at home to hold yourself up like in the first one? I'm not sure what I can use for that one. All of this stuff looks super challenging, looking forward to trying it out! The second one looks "easier" to try in that I have exercise balls and a BOSU to use. The moves themselves look very challenging.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks!! I watched the first two videos quickly before heading into another Zoom meeting, but will need to go back and watch them again for sure. What have you used at home to hold yourself up like in the first one? I'm not sure what I can use for that one. All of this stuff looks super challenging, looking forward to trying it out! The second one looks "easier" to try in that I have exercise balls and a BOSU to use. The moves themselves look very challenging.
I was looking at that. An intermediate step might be to lay flat of the ground. You can still execute the motions, although you won't have the core engagement. I was thinking that doing these in my living room, on the floor, would be a good way to become familar with the motion. Then I could do in the gym on dip bars. Points if you have mirrors on the ceiling to watch your alignment.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The owner of my house left his full gym setup in the basement, and it has one of those bar dip machines. I just face the other way. Most people won't have this, of course, and I like the other exercises better. I want to try them with my boots on!

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking at that. An intermediate step might be to lay flat of the ground. You can still execute the motions, although you won't have the core engagement. I was thinking that doing these in my living room, on the floor, would be a good way to become familar with the motion. Then I could do in the gym on dip bars. Points if you have mirrors on the ceiling to watch your alignment.

Good idea! I don't have the ceiling mirror haha, but do have a full length that tilts so perhaps that could help a bit on the floor.. I just tried it on my office chair, but holding onto the arms.. but having the seat under you limits too much motion and I can really only be static on each side which seems to defeat the purpose. I can get to the more scrunched up positions on it though (long arms/short torso here).

The owner of my house left his full gym setup in the basement, and it has one of those bar dip machines. I just face the other way. Most people won't have this, of course, and I like the other exercises better. I want to try them with my boots on!

That's awesome!

I was wondering the same thing about trying some of it in boots, but will definitely see what I can even do without them on to start.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
That's awesome!

I was wondering the same thing about trying some of it in boots, but will definitely see what I can even do without them on to start.

Doing the drill in athletic shoes, or bare feet, would probably build greater proprioception. Definitely "easier" to execute in ski boots. Will depend on your intent - do you want balance to come internally, or externally?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Doing the drill in athletic shoes, or bare feet, would probably build greater proprioception. Definitely "easier" to execute in ski boots. Will depend on your intent - do you want balance to come internally, or externally?
I have done the side squat exercise several times now in gym shoes and yesterday I did it in my boots. What I found interesting is where my butt wanted to go while I was wearing the boots--back. Not good. But it gave me a chance to fiddle with my stance in my boots and feel where I wanted the rest of my body to stack so that my butt wouldn't go back.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I have done the side squat exercise several times now in gym shoes and yesterday I did it in my boots. What I found interesting is where my butt wanted to go while I was wearing the boots--back. Not good. But it gave me a chance to fiddle with my stance in my boots and feel where I wanted the rest of my body to stack so that my butt wouldn't go back.

I could see that positioning awareness as something really cool. Will have to try that. Thanks for posting.

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Interesting!

CaverDave

Booting up
Skier

This was an Ah Ha moment on YouTube for me this fall.

Sponsor