• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deb Armstrong recent mogul vids

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
The ones that can are likely using that technique to avoid skiing in the over-cut troughs. Then there are the guys where hopping from one soft bump to another is their technique.

Back in the day, the French where the master of the deflection turn. And I have seen it done in several conditions.

Great slo mo starting at 1:28

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
IMO, a lot has to do with the skill level of the skier. Further, the intent of the turn, what may look like a turn shape to bleed off speed could be getting themselves in position for the upcoming bumps.

Or maybe both, where the relative contributions are hard to determine.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
To All and to @Sanity:

I write because I do not know,
and desperately want to know.

So, I am writing to expose my lack of knowledge for feedback and correction.

It seems to me that it is not Absorption and Extension that is slowing the zipper line skier down.

(I mean if you are on a flat ski, what is there for you to absorb anyway? You will just be launching off the front to top of the mogul...)

Rather, it is TIP EDGE SET into the front side of the mogul with resulting tip bend and TORQUE TURN tail drift (sometimes called "deflection" turns) which provides the speed control in zipper line fall line mogul skiing.

No?

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
To All and to @Sanity:

It seems to me that it is not Absorption and Extension that is slowing the zipper line skier down.

(I mean if you are on a flat ski, what is there for you to absorb anyway? You will just be launching off the front to top of the mogul...)

Rather, it is TIP EDGE SET into the front side of the mogul with resulting tip bend and TORQUE TURN tail drift (sometimes called "deflection" turns) which provides the speed control in zipper line fall line mogul skiing.

No?

A&E and pressuring the face of the bump (by using the tip edge set) each will slow you down. By blending the two, it becomes a management of those two techniques. There are occasions where the bump formation relies on one over the other. Further when the terrain is steeper, you will need both.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
To All and to @Sanity:

No?

Some people say 50% A and E and 50% turn shape for speed control. In this thread some were talking about "bump hoppers". They just land on one bump top and then the next, but they manage not to get going too fast even on somewhat steep terrain. It's because the tops of the bumps are flat and often have soft snow. There's speed control there that's not just because of an edge set, but that's just one example.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
The reason we keep coming back to line choice is because the line choice comes first, and dictates the modifications in turn mechanics. Not the other way around.

Splitting some hairs/hares/heirs here, but if I know I can use a more freestyle turn (i.e. Bobby in the video) because of snow conditions and steepness, I will do that, which then leads to a more direct line choice. Why do I do this? Simply because it feels more fun and takes less energy to ski that way faster when executed well.

So for me, I try some turns and whatever style turns feel most fun then shapes what type of line I can do with that style. I do not believe the freestyle way is only way, just another fun way to do things. I am not looking for the fastest way to the bottom, just the most fun way (which sometimes is the fastest). I don't see either Deb's or Bobby's style as superior in any sort of objective sense. They are both fun ways to ski bumps, and I feel you are missing out if you don't play with both. This is why I love skiing bumps so much :) .

For context, I am talking about skiing blue/black moguled terrain that is packed powder or a few inches of new, not super-technical-fall-you-die moguled/off piste stuff.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FWIW, I recently had a conversation with Deb about SkiTalk and her videos being posted here. She was enthusiastic but has never heard of us. I invited her to check the site out. Hopefully she will soon.
Well, maybe we can try to get new-school instructor three-year-old Adia Leidums on Ski Talk?

Short profile clip -

;)

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
First six days of the Killington spring mogul season has been pretty awesome. Hannah Soar was back on the home snow Saturday after finishing the season as the third best mogul skier in the world.To form good zipper lines you need lots of good mogul skiers and some sun softened steeps. Come join the fun from now thru the month of May.
image0000001 (1).jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Hart Striker skis Bobby Aldegheri is on have a lot of sidecut and are fairly wide. Far from a bump ski:
Hart F17 Striker Men's Skis - Powder7 2021-03-25 22-06-53.png

It has the Hart name on it but looks like an all-mountain ski.

Another data point that a well-suited all-mountain ski can be great in the bumps? Fun watching them ski!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think this video was posted. Zipper line for old guys and gals!

What a great demonstration of nice, slow, low-impact zipper line skiing.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@jack97 and @James: Tom Gellie has a heels to head squeeze the orange behind the knees pressure the tips and anchor corresponding tip edges torque the tails laterally onto edge drill which in my mind would have application to what in my mind jack97 is describing.
Give this man a medal for precision wording.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I don't follow Tom Gellie's vid series nor subscribe to his service. The type of drill you are describing sounds like what is show below. Further, how it applies in the bumps.

Anyone want to comment on how the dramatic lead change he displays is working in these turns?

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

No?
Imagine you are jumping on a trampoline. With each jump, the tramp propels you upwards.
When you want to stop the jumping, and you want this stoppage to happen quickly and efficiently, you use your legs to absorb the next upward push by the tramp. You can come to a halt immediately.

I think of A&E in the bumps as working this way.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Hart Striker skis Bobby Aldegheri is on have a lot of sidecut and are fairly wide. Far from a bump ski:
View attachment 129437
It has the Hart name on it but looks like an all-mountain ski.

Another data point that a well-suited all-mountain ski can be great in the bumps? Fun watching them ski!
You can buy the Hart Striker now..it's called the Blossom Whiteout