• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deb Armstrong recent mogul vids

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Processed and uploaded mentioned video at end of this thread:

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Along with pressuring the tip of the ski, are you edging the tip to anchor it? Or is the tip flat? I am so confused about what is the goal with the tip of the ski. Also most of the videos are made from down hill or from the side so I can't really see what the tip is doing.

Would you mind describing in detail what is the precise goal for using the tip of the ski in zipper line skiing?

Believe it or not, it is not well known by skiers at my level.
I think of it more as unweighting your heels not stuffing the tips. We used to teach it as dynamic unweighting before big side cut skis took over.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Two more videos by Deb Armstrong and Bobby Aldighieri. They keep coming, and I like it.

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ I love it at the end of that second video when Deb asks him if her poles are too short. She wears her lack of hubris so well.
Oh Deb....:nono:
You don’t cut down your favorite poles. That destroys them. You get another pair. Then another. Even try a quality adjustable pair. What a concept.

It just proves how weird we are about poles. We’ll buy six pairs of skis without a thought, but a couple pairs of poles? No way.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Oh Deb....:nono:
You don’t cut down your favorite poles. That destroys them. You get another pair. Then another. Even try a quality adjustable pair. What a concept.

It just proves how weird we are about poles. We’ll buy six pairs of skis without a thought, but a couple pairs of poles? No way.
I bought a pair of adjustable poles that just will not stay put for the shorter lengths. I had to lock them in place with a mod. What's the best pair to get?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^ I love it at the end of that second video when Deb asks him if her poles are too short. She wears her lack of hubris so well.
She makes it look so easy! I'd totally hire her for 1 on 1 lesson if skiing a week or more at her home mountain ... just no talk of Lang Girl posters;)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I bought a pair of adjustable poles that just will not stay put for the shorter lengths. I had to lock them in place with a mod. What's the best pair to get?

Lekis working fine for me. The adjustable mechanism can be tightened so that the length stays put. It's a trade-off between being easy enough to adjust and staying put.

James

Out There
Instructor
Good question. Might want to ask in the gear forum. The only pair I have I don’t like, but they will fit in a suitcase. However, that’s moot since I don’t want to take them. (They’re an unknown branded pole I got in Chamonix)

For me the biggest issue is wobble or looseness when you shake it. For that the two sectioned LEKI might be a good choice. Recently I tried a pair of Black Diamond 3 section trekking poles in the store. Did not like the feel at all, vibrating, wobbly when shaken, which was a bummer.

A few years ago I thought getting a pair of 3 section ski poles would be great for travelling. I made it with them one day in resort and decided I couldn’t deal with them. The last thing I wanted on some guided day was a wobbly, distracting pole. Plus what if I had to lean on it in some couloir? Would it collapse? I rented solids instead for the remainder of my trip.

One time at Snowmass I leaned on a Goode pencil carbon pole so hard it was bent like a fishing pole. Wasn’t even my pole, and the guy who lent it was right near me. At the time it was the main thing keeping me from sliding down a 40 deg slope. I’d popped a ski and got tangled in an odd position. It was a weird situation, basically unhelpable if I let go. I expected the thing to snap at any moment. It didn’t, which was impressive. I broke my own Goode’s twice, but not by loading the shaft.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Good question. Might want to ask in the gear forum. The only pair I have I don’t like, but they will fit in a suitcase. However, that’s moot since I don’t want to take them. (They’re an unknown branded pole I got in Chamonix)

For me the biggest issue is wobble or looseness when you shake it. For that the two sectioned LEKI might be a good choice. Recently I tried a pair of Black Diamond 3 section trekking poles in the store. Did not like the feel at all, vibrating, wobbly when shaken, which was a bummer.

A few years ago I thought getting a pair of 3 section ski poles would be great for travelling. I made it with them one day in resort and decided I couldn’t deal with them. The last thing I wanted on some guided day was a wobbly, distracting pole. Plus what if I had to lean on it in some couloir? Would it collapse? I rented solids instead for the remainder of my trip.

One time at Snowmass I leaned on a Goode pencil carbon pole so hard it was bent like a fishing pole. Wasn’t even my pole, and the guy who lent it was right near me. At the time it was the main thing keeping me from sliding down a 40 deg slope. I’d popped a ski and got tangled in an odd position. It was a weird situation, basically unhelpable if I let go. I expected the thing to snap at any moment. It didn’t, which was impressive. I broke my own Goode’s twice, but not by loading the shaft.

I looked around the web for my adjustable poles that didn't work so well, and they are almost non-existent, so I guess people figured out they're no good. They are these:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-poles/joystick-pep-adjustable

They feel solid, not wobbly in the slightest. They work with the rotating clamp on telescoping poles, but the inner tube tapers especially for the shorter lengths, and that taper makes it nearly impossible to apply enough clamp force to keep it from drifting through the day.

Once I decided I needed shorter poles for moguls, I bought them maybe expecting to change them on the fly. Though, they ended up working well enough for me to experiment with different lengths. Once I settled in (110cm), I locked them in place. Some adjustable poles don't have enough range to get down to the shorter side of mogul poles.

I find I don't need longer poles. In racing the longer pole provides efficiency for pushing for those first few moments. I suppose in some of your extremely steep skiing, you'll need it for balance. I don't end up pushing that much where less efficiency is a big deal, and I don't ski extremely steep stuff very often. For balance, I wouldn't need it on any marked trail at any of the resorts I visit for example. Why do people need longer poles?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I borrowed a pair of adjustable LEKI's when I left my poles in the car we did not take to the hill. They worked well and didn't slip. Didn't look at the model.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I use BD 3-section poles, no issues with wobbling. The clamps have a small screw that acts to adjust the clamping mechanism - I guess if that were too loose, the pole could wobble. Hasn’t been a problem for me.

I find adjustable poles great for being able to experiment with different lengths and to adapt to conditions (moguls vs flats vs powder vs hiking out in powder etc).

Deb Armstrong’s videos are awesome.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
The Goode Pure Carbon classic is an excellent choice. Light swing weight, adjustable length (about three inches up or down), choice of small or large screw-on baskets, nearly indestructible. I've used them for years.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
For Deb Armstrong fans, Taos has some new 3 day clinics with her. Not cheap, but does include lift and demos. There's one for beginner- intermediate, one mogul specific, and one advanced.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
#68 recognition, approval and praise. Building self-confidence!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
#84 2:00 on the second vid... talking about not being able to get the knee over the binding, also ability to move up and down and not be fighting with the boot. Ankle flection - for me that's where it's at.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For Deb Armstrong fans, Taos has some new 3 day clinics with her. Not cheap, but does include lift and demos. There's one for beginner- intermediate, one mogul specific, and one advanced.

Looks fun...but definitely not cheap. Small classes though.

Sponsor

Staff online